Embracing the shadows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embracing the shadows

In landscape photography, are we in danger of losing our shadows, I was looking through one of Joe Cornish books from around 2000 the other day, and an EOS magazine from 2007, and some of the landscape images had deep rich, silky shadows that gave depth and mood to the composition.

Currently the vogue has been to lighten shadows, how often has the comment 'if you could bring out a little more shadow detail' been said in response to a landscape post (and I'm as guilty as anyone).

It would be easy to blame HDR processing (as it bleaches shadows) for this trend, but I don't think it is the cause . Don't get me wrong, HDR is up there with the Ebola virus, famine in Africa and George Michael that I'd actively help to eradicate, but in this instance I think it's in spite of HDR processing.

Is it because we have so many pixels and/or improvements in editing software that we can push images to extract the last amount of detail without the degradation and noise that was common previously.

Is it a bad thing that the tones are being narrowed, so they are more even across the composition, I don't know? personally, I've decided to take a few steps backward, and not tweak the shadows like I used to, as long as they are not blocky/noisy and have a hint of detail, I'll be inclined to leave them as is.

In short, I've decided to embrace the shadows
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Re: Embracing the shadows

good on ya Les
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Re: Embracing the shadows

Hi Les, I've seen those shadowless landscapes, with strong back-lighting making any real level of detail in shadows extremely implausible/impossible, yet it's there in the PPed image

As I'm sure you are aware, It's not restricted to landscapes. increasinly you'll see these unatural FXs in portraiture. :-)

Trev

Comment

Working...
      X