Posting your own and commenting on others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posting your own and commenting on others

I am a firm believer with all the forums to which i contribute that if i am hoping members will pass comment on my shots then it is only fair that i make comment on other peoples shots. Looking through the threads today there are a certain small percentage of members who post their shots but as far as i can see never pass any comments. Some are novice or fairly new to the forum and probably feeling their way but there are others who from the quality of their shots are obviously experienced photographers. Surely if you have time to post a shot then you should make time to comments as well.

Am i alone in my thinking

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Posting your own and commenting on others

Hi Stan,

It's a personal choice I guess.

I am new to posting to the forum and am very pleased to receive constructive criticism of my shots and express my gratitude when I receive such feedback. When I feel qualified to comment on others postings (i.e. when they are subjects on which I feel I am knowlegable) I fully intend to do so....but I don't think there should be an expectation for anyone to comment. Some folks contribute in other ways - such as advice on lenses etc.

This is a fun thing...isn't it? There are enough pressures in life without adding artificial ones.

Just my two 'penneth.

CapnWilko.
    Cap'n Wilko

EOS 1DX
    EF 50mm f1.2L USM
    EF 17-40mm f4.0 L USM
    EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM
    EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM
    EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Extender 1.4x III
    Speedlite 600EX-RT

Comment

I totally agree with your comment Stan, and have noticed that when I post, any comments made about my work are made by mostly the same people. I do, if I can pass comment on an image, but I'm also careful not to dishearten someone who maybe starting out and needs advice. I myself don't post a comment on all images posted, as there maybe some that are not to my taste, and therefore a negative comment would be unfair, just because I don't like the subject. At college last year, we were encouraged to critique each others work, although some were not happy to hear about the faults in their image. I took it on the chin, but there were some who took it personally, and became shall I say less friendly with those who said anything. I hope that when I comment on an image, the poster understands that it's because I'm trying to help or some cases learn, not dis someones work.

Anyways I think there are some people who feel they are not experienced enough to comment on an image, but I have always said when I post an image I will accept any critique, as long it's done in the best interests of my learning.

John

Comment

As I said Cap'n, I would not expect the newer members necessarily to make comments until they felt happy to do so and those people I am talking about do not contribute to the forum in any way - either by commenting or giving advice.

Stan
        Last edited by Stan; 17-09-2012, 15:54.
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Interesting question Stan....

My thoughts from a red wine addled brain.....
          I think that everyone is capable of commenting on someone else's posting and the fact that they are possibly new at posting, new at taking a certain genre, or just plain new doesn't matter.

If you look at an image you know whether or not you like it as something deep down tells you so.

Comments do not have to be technical ones they just need to be something like....
          " I like this image because of the way the light highlights the hills in the distance"
          or
          " This is possibly a nice image but it does not grab me as it is a bit too dark and I cannot see what is in the shadows"

simples

not technical but the comment will start a dialogue and the person taking it may come back with the fact that they were trying to portray a moody image and give the reasons what they were trying to achieve.

Then the next phase of the dialogue commences by a member who is "experienced" in taking moody images and they may give some tips as to how they achieve what the original poster was trying to achieve.

and guess what....

we have all learnt something and the value of this community increases and helps everyone.

and....... there is a certain gentleman whose photographic skills have improved immensely over the past two years and he is very open in saying that his improvement is through people commenting on the images he posts and if they are rubbish he has been told so and given some suggestions on how to improve.

Just my thoughts and I admit I have not commented as much as I should have or posted as many images as I should have but sometimes there are just so many new postings from the growing community I only have time to look and not comment which is just plain lazy....

David
          Last edited by djguk47; 17-09-2012, 16:02.
          David

Comment

I for one will only post comments:

a) on any image that strikes me as 'special' (whatever the subject)

b) on subjects (I think|I think I know) something about

When posting comments I try an avoid just being critical or giving a 'pedant' type response (your diagonal is only 43 degrees and should be 45, your rule of thirds is 30:35:35 et seq).

I just wish the site would let me post Flickr links (hence the lack of input from me) ... it hasn't let me for a week or so.

Comment

I have noticed that the majority of comments come from the same members, day in day out.
              Although we do not necessarily like negative comments, it is only the negative comments that we can learn from and therefore improve.
              It would be nice to have more of the 5,849 members actively participating.
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by John27 View Post
                .................Anyways I think there are some people who feel they are not experienced enough to comment on an image, but I have always said when I post an image I will accept any critique, as long it's done in the best interests of my learning.

John
                I think I probably fit into this group.
                I have posted two or three images to see if anyone had any constructive comments/criticisms and had some positive comments but I do not really feel suitably experienced to comment on other's images that are very obviously way above my rather dubious ability.
                That said, I suppose , yes, I could comment by stating "I like that" or "nice colours" etc. but I have usually thought that I am not really good enough to make any proper judgements on other's images so obviously better than mine.
                Ho hum - Must try harder?
                John

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                  a) on any image that strikes me as 'special' (whatever the subject)
                  This. There are a lot of images posted, often in their own thread, so I don't see them all - I pick what sounds interesting from the title. A lot are 'that's nice'. Some are 'Wow', in which case I'll say so. Some are 'nearly Wow' and if I think I can see something that would remove (for me) the 'nearly' then I will also say so. This isn't to suggest I could have done any better if I'd been taking the original image, usually the opposite, in fact, but one of the ways I learn is people saying 'if only that was like this' or 'a different crop solves that problem' and if I think I can see that in someone else's shot I'll offer it. And sometimes it's 'that's not good, but I've been through that stage and this helped'. I'll also offer that. Always aware the OP may not agree which is fine by me. Photography is subjective which is what makes it fascinating.

If you get none of the above from me then none of the above applies and I either didn't see it or it's OK, which probably accounts for 90% of everything posted.
                  Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Stan, I know I could comment on more images Han I do but of late I have been picking and choosing which posts I look at very much as Woolley has been doing. This is not trying t PO ignore the work nd effort that folk have put into the shots / posts, it is rather a case of beng very busy having to redecorate 75% of the house to keep SWMBO happy and get it done before the new carpet is fitted in about 10-14 days.

When I do comment I try to be constructive and frequently add suggestions that I would do if the image was mine, these frequently don't fully agree with others but as folks have said photography is very subjective.

I will continue. To post he odd image and comment when I feel it is appropriate. I also appreciate feedback as do many others and personally don't mind if it is negative as I get an alternative opinion that I can consider.

Comment

Ok heres my point from a n00b's perspective
                      I have only recently had the courage to post a few images and I am grateful for critiscism good or bad as I am learning and dont expect to get things right but hey thats why I joined the forum in the first place.

As for commenting on someones image I will say if I like it but as I am not experienced enough to comment on the technical aspects I tend to keep quiet unless its something obvious like a horizon thats off so therefore I dont post too many comments on others images.

As a newbie this type of thread makes me cringe and want to just go back to lurking as I had been lurking for a lot longer than I have been posting
                      Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Stan, I take your point seriously. I tend to post my comments on the photos which I feel I am "qualified" to give a comment, based purely on whether I "LIKE" the picture. I feel I am not qualified to give any technical advice or comment as I am still not in that "league". It would be totally wrong to give a incorrect comment which is not fair. I believe that there are many others in my boat. I will also only comment on photos that are in my evolving area of interest. So for example I won't bother with insects and other macro photographic subjects. Also zoo photograhy is not to my liking and I really comment on some excellent photos I have seen posted on the site.

Having said my little "piece" I must also state that very often members make very "gentle "comments without giving a right royal rollicking for a bad photo. I admire Les for that. He has told me off on more than one occasion,for exampple my recent pics of Red Kites, where I have messed about with the image on PSE. Such positive comments are the only real help that I get in improving my skills.I am not the sort of person to take offence over a strong,negative comment as long as it is given in a positive,helpful manner.

Nathaniel
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nathaniel has a point here. I may not be picking his vibe right, but:
                          I feel that the praise ratio out does the constructive comment on postings by a big margin. Just my subjective view.
                          But we, mostly, are here to learn from our peers, enthusiastic amateurs in the main. No need, or place, for rollickings - as Nat put it. But
                          no need for unnecessary back slapping either.
                          I am put off from posting or commenting on postings as this incarnation of the forum seems -to me- to have moved
                          to a .rather clubby place. I do not want to criticise a pic that someone loves. Lack of EXIF detail does not help. Why not say, no EXIF, no crit.
                          A BiF Oof on slow shutter speed, for example, moody landscape spoiled as f4 used. A little info from the poster would yield productive responses, I think.
                          If you give the info, people have more to go on and we can help each other (those like me who are still learning) to progress a little.
                          Crap photo? Lack of detail? No, it was a huge crop and detail lost on uploading. - to paraphrase recent posting and response.

Just a thought/ramble.

Comment

At the end of the day one persons rubbish photo is anothers masterpiece. Just look at art done with a brush and paint. And some of the masterpieces in say the NPG I just could never fathom (I worked across the square and visited in my lunch break ... so did try).

So someone may have spent ages trying to get an OOF image with camera shake (yes I looked at an exhibition of such photos) in the name of art.

Comment

I think Paul summed it up completely. Use these criteria and you wont go wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X