Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Depth of Field

Hi All,

Recent photographs posted have shown my lack of expertise in regard to setting the aperture right for the DOF needed for a specific subject.

An example would be some of the Birds of Prey I posted in my Raptor Village at Sandringham thread where I have got the eyes in focus but the beak out of focus where obviously it would have been better to have them both in Focus.

Another few examples are the wedding pics I posted where I have had much too small an aperture set, leaving the background much too clear, rather than out of focus.

My question is, does anyone use either DOF Tables, App's on Iphones, or the DOF Calculators, such as the Expoaperture disc thing which you turn, (they are available to purchase at about £30).

Or, is it just a case of doing more shooting and gaining experience and then trying to remember?

I would welcome any thoughts and advice as this has been troubling me for a while.

Regards Paul

Re: Advice on Depth of Field

Have you tried to use your DoF Preview Button when setting up shots ?

Fred D

Comment

Advice on Depth of Field

I use iDofCalc on the iPhone, it's worthwhile plugging in various settings and seeing what effect they have which will build an understanding in your mind.

Unfortunately any DOF calculator is just that, a calculator, and real-life doesn't tend to follow the rules! Therefore there's nothing like trying things, seeing what effect changes have, and then (hopefully) remembering them.

Learning the basics of larger DOF with sorter lenses, larger DOF with smaller apertures is the simple bit, but the experience only comes with time and practice.
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Agree with the above post. All these calculators are all very well, but only really mean anything in the real world when they relate to hard and fast rules that always apply - such as the inverse square law (an object that is twice the distance from a point source of light will receive a quarter of the illumination).

I find it much easier to develop a 'feel' for DOF. Practice is probably the only way to get that. Experiment!

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
          I use iDofCalc on the iPhone, it's worthwhile plugging in various settings and seeing what effect they have which will build an understanding in your mind.

Unfortunately any DOF calculator is just that, a calculator, and real-life doesn't tend to follow the rules! Therefore there's nothing like trying things, seeing what effect changes have, and then (hopefully) remembering them.

Learning the basics of larger DOF with sorter lenses, larger DOF with smaller apertures is the simple bit, but the experience only comes with time and practice.
          I use my telephone for making telephone calls !
          Maybe I am missing something ?

Comment

Originally posted by Macro Meister View Post
            Agree with the above post. All these calculators are all very well, but only really mean anything in the real world when they relate to hard and fast rules that always apply - such as the inverse square law (an object that is twice the distance from a point source of light will receive a quarter of the illumination).

I find it much easier to develop a 'feel' for DOF. Practice is probably the only way to get that. Experiment!
            Ah !... the old "inverse square law".... now I understand what you are talking about squire !!

Comment

Good point Rob....
              Do we frame first
              Look at DOF
              Check point of interest and verticals etc
              Sometimes I always shoot with a crop in mind...
              its amazing what one sees in corners of shots that one doesnt want!

Comment

Originally posted by fadetoblack View Post
                I use my telephone for making telephone calls !
                Maybe I am missing something ?
                Possibly. I think my Samsung Galaxy Ace is brill. I can download BBC podcasts to it and listen to them in the car by pluging it in the car stereo system, or I can plug it in the digital radio in the kitchen and listen. Then there's music to listen to, and the camera (5MP) is pretty good. It's an alarm clock. I can record audio notes on it, schedule my dentist appointment on the calendar, and if I come across some troublesome oik I can use it as a projectile weapon - but as it cost £300 I've refrained so far.

Only problem is, it's not a Canon...
                Last edited by Macro Meister; 27-09-2012, 19:14.

Comment

Originally posted by fadetoblack View Post
                  now I understand what you are talking about squire !!
                  You are probably the only one of us that does. It confuses the hell out of me.

Comment

Possibly. I think my Samsung Galaxy Ace is brill. I can download BBC podcasts to it and listen to them in the car by pluging it in the car stereo system, or I can plug it in the digital radio in the kitchen and listen. Then there's music to listen to, and the camera (5MP) is pretty good. I can record audio notes on it, schedule my dentist appointment on the calendar, and if I come across some troublesome oik I can use it as a projectile weapon - but as it cost £300 I've refrained so far.

Only problem is, it's not a Canon...
                    My phone cost £10 and make calls...iron age is cool

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
                      My phone cost £10 and make calls...iron age is cool

I use the CPN DoF Calculator when I need an exact answer CPN DoF otherwise I press that overlooked button on my camera.

Comment

I use that button too......It reminds me of the olden days when I had a film camera.... every time you turned the meter on it did the same thing
                        Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X