Equipment warranties and guarantees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equipment warranties and guarantees

Have you experience of claiming repairs, refunds or replacements under warranties and guarantees on Canon equipment purchased in the UK or elsewhere?

I'd like to hear about good and bad experiences for an article I am preparing on the subject.

Use my e-mail address below if you do not want to reply in open forum. Your name does not have to be used in the article.

Thanks.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Re: Equipment warranties and guarantees

3 years ago I had some dirt specks on my 5D2 sensor/mirror. Having no experience in cleaning I bought a cheap brush and blower. This made things worse, I then read about the focusing screen and how easy it was to change, so I tinkered around with it and again made things worse. I ended up with brush hairs stuck to the sides of the mirror and a focusing screen which I could not put back in as the metal fixing bracket also came away. I panicked and just wished I left things as they were.

I spoke to Canon (Elstree) and sent the camera to them to be fixed; I was expecting a large bill.
    It was fixed and returned in less than 2 weeks and totally free of charge as it was under warranty.
    They replaced the mirror and focusing screen, cleaned the sensor and totally checked and serviced the camera.
    I also received a full inspection and works report.
    A lesson well learned by myself (no more tinkering) and total respect for Canon (Elstree).
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Im not sure this counts Robert. My 7D was not in warranty, when it went wrong. I spoke to Elstree, who were useless. The girl I spoke to was Polish and her understanding of English was very poor. In the end I hung up and took the camera to Park, for them to sort out.

Comment

Hi Robert,

This isn't for an SLR but an Ixus 430 which we still have but which doesn't get much use these days. We were living in Brisbane at the time when the LCD started playing up. I can't recall the exact problem now but you couldn't see an image on it. I googled the problem and was pleased to discover that it was a known fault acknowledged by Canon and related to the CCD. I contacted Canon and they asked that I send it in. On discovering their address I realised they were only a couple of suburbs away in Cannon Hill (deliberate?) so I dropped it off myself. After a week or so I got a call to let me know it had been repaired at no charge. Sorry but I can't recall now if it was in or out of warranty but I was impressed with their whole attitude of acknowledging the problem in the first place and actually carrying out the repair. A lot of companies these days will resist any notion that their precious baby could possibly have a problem.

Scott
        Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Working...
        X