Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Eos 600D - use of 35mm canon lens

Hi

I have just bought a 600D body - I intend to get a 18-200mm dedicated lens. However I would also like to use a Canon 29-105 lens that I had bought for my old 35mm Canon Eos a few years ago. The lens fits easily and I can take pictures, but there is no through the lens image on the LCD screen. The screen shows information about exposure etc and will also show the pictures taken. Is this to be expected or is there something I can do? I have pressed the 'disp' button, which switches the screen right off.

Any help greatly appreciated

Martin

Re: Canon Eos 600D - use of 35mm canon lens

Have you pressed the LiveView button on the rear of the camera (looks like a camera half black, half white, and has a little red dot to its left), that will activate LiveView (a live image of what's seen through the lens). The Disp button merely scrolls through a series of information screens.
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
      Have you pressed the LiveView button on the rear of the camera (looks like a camera half black, half white, and has a little red dot to its left), that will activate LiveView (a live image of what's seen through the lens). The Disp button merely scrolls through a series of information screens.
      Many thanks - this is now fine... Had read the manual but managed to miss this... Now contemplating whether it is worth buying the other lens...

Many thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Martins View Post
        Many thanks - this is now fine... Had read the manual but managed to miss this... Now contemplating whether it is worth buying the other lens...

Many thanks again
        Glad it's working now!

That's the $64,000 question isn't it, buy or not! The questions you need to ask yourself are what do you need, what do you want, what can you afford, and what can you justify. Once you have the answers, then make the decision. If you're questioning the decision, then it's likely it's the wrong time to buy.

Also, research any prospective purchase. It's all too easy to be pulled in by the lure of a superzoom with a wide range, only to be sorely disappointed by the image quality, on the flip side, you can't take photographs without a lens! There are numerous options open to you if you do elect to buy, some of which are phenomenal value for money (the 55-250mm for instance).

The main thing is to go and take some photographs with your current lens, see how you get on, and that'll give you some insight into want to do next.
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I too have the 600D and at first wanted all the lenses under the sun, however, I just went with a 50mm prime, a 75-300 and kit lens. I have quickly outgrown these lenses only after 2 months of use. They don't keep up with what I want to use them for.

My advice, is find out what you love shooting, and get the best lens you can afford in that range. research, research and listen to loads of people and you will find the holy trinity of lenses :)
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
            I too have the 600D and at first wanted all the lenses under the sun, however, I just went with a 50mm prime, a 75-300 and kit lens. I have quickly outgrown these lenses only after 2 months of use. They don't keep up with what I want to use them for.

My advice, is find out what you love shooting, and get the best lens you can afford in that range. research, research and listen to loads of people and you will find the holy trinity of lenses :)
            Thanks for this - good advice... Will play with the camera for a bit with my current lenses first - for example many interesting shots of the dining room last night as I was checking out the Live View and other menus etc... I need to get out more...

Comment

Thanks again, S_J_P. Now that the 35mm lens works properly, I'll have a chance to play around with it. I am very easily seduced by the wide range zoom thing - but perhaps should accept the need for two lenses and practice quick changes - I have always gone for hifi separates for quality over convenience too...

Thanks again for your comments and advice.

Comment

Working...
              X