Is this a good photo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a good photo?

I posted this picture on Facebook and was surprised at some of the comments some of which were that I had 'cheated' by using photo-shop and others asking how I managed to keep the hands in focus too on an obviously long shutter. Anyway I would appreciate any feedback and I'm happy to share the settings to anyone interested.Ed sparkler.jpg

Re: Is this a good photo?

Well I would have assumed you used a delayed flash to get the exposure of the child. Its a lot better than my efforts when my kids were that age if thats anything to go by!

Andrew
    Andrew

Comment

Yes it is a good photo................
      My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
      © JH Foto
      The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

What is important is, do you like it?

If 'yes', it's a good photo, end of story...
        The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Thanks! high praise indeed my dad's been into photography since I was a kid, he's so impressed he's making a 200 mile round trip to have a go himself with my EOS450D, I genuinely tried to make the shot but there's definitely an element of luck plus I took about 6-8 shots too.
          I had the 28-135 USM lens on and was in AV mode with a 6.3 F setting - It felt like the shutter was open for ages and I tried to keep as still as I could. The flash is the standard unit on the camera so I'm real pleased with the results. Obviously I owe a lot to my son Ed too for making such great circles, thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated.

Comment

Well I think it's a good shot.

Ignore the people who say using Photoshop is cheating!!! Ask them if they still have a Black and White TV without Remote Control and drive a Morris 1000.

At the end of the day Picture Processing is one part of Digital Photography.

Just my opinion

Regards Paul

Comment

It's a good shot.

How it was taken, or any post capture treatment is irrelevant, it's the final shot that counts.
              Colin

Comment

Is this a good photo?

on the use of the 2nd current flash sync. Nicely executed.

Tom

Comment

Looks good to me! Not a technique that I've tried but its come out spot on as far as I'm concerned, so well done
                  Andy

Comment

Brilliant Shot
                    EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
                      Ignore the people who say using Photoshop is cheating!!! ......

At the end of the day Picture Processing is one part of Digital Photography.
                      Quite right.... People have been manipulating images since the dawn of photography. It's a load easier with PS and other packages than cutting masks, dodging, burning, etc in a dark room, but it's the same thing at the end of the day.

I like it. Well done.
                      “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
                      "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
                      "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
                      "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

As photographers we all strive for the perfect picture and if we can get near to it with the aid of the likes of PS then I say "so be it". My opion is yes its a good photo and well done.

Chris
                        Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery - Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Lovely photograph. Shows what people know doesn't it! I was manipulating photographs in the darkroom over forty years ago!

If there was one thing I would try to post process, it would be the slight tendency for red eye. But that is being pernickety.

Richard
                          Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Is this a good photo?

Indeed it's a very good photo. Notated how you did it. It's the end product that matters!
                            Canon 600d
                            Canon Ef 24-105mm f4L IS USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM,
                            Speedlight 430 EX II, B+W 110 10 stop Screw in ND

Comment

Working...
                            X