Time for a new camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a new camera?

At present I am using a 7d for my photography but as my son (15 years old) is keen on photography and is looking to take it at A-Level we feel we should look at getting another body.

I am swaying more towards the landscape/seascape photography and I guess the way to go would be the 5d range, but the question being would you buy the 5d mkii or the 5d mkiii?

Its not really down to budget rather than what would be best say a 5dii plus maybe a new lens/filters or go straight for the mkiii?

Thoughts
    JASON

Time for a new camera?

If its not down to budget then a 5D Mk3 fitted with a Zeiss Distagon 21mm prime lens would be perfect for landscape and seascape photography.
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Re: Time for a new camera?

I have the 5D3 which I like, the reason I purchased it over the 5D2 was for the very good AF, much better high ISO capabilities, newer sensor, faster high speed bursts plus I liked many of the other newer features. Looking at images that have been taken at the same location and same time with the same lens mine on a 5D2 I believe that the 5D3 has better contrast and deeper colours than the 5D2 but that may just be my interperetaion of the images.

So far I have not been disapointed and if I had to make the same decission again I would still go for the 5D3 over the 5D2

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
        If its not down to budget then a 5D Mk3 fitted with a Zeiss Distagon 21mm prime lens would be perfect for landscape and seascape photography.
        James
        Quite like the look of that Lens, but what I was really asking was for landscape/seascape photography is the 5diii really that superior over the 5dii.
        JASON

Comment

Time for a new camera?

One word - yes !!
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I would agree with James but if you don't want or need all the new AF and high ISO of the 5D3 have you considered the new 6D? This may suit your needs

Comment

Hi Jason,

Got to agree with Muscat & James - Why buy old technology when the new stuff is so much more superior. Agreed, there won't be that much difference in picture quality, but what if you or your decide, in the future, to change photography direction and you want to action stuff, for example. You might regret going for the older option - rule one when buying a camera - look at the camera you can afford, put it back and buy the next one up in the range! (This rule doesn't count if you're buying a 1DX )

Just my 2 penceworth,
              Neil
              Neilly's Flickr Page
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
              Facebook
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                James
                I assume from your post that you rate the Zeiss over the "equivalent" Canon lens? Would you care to share your thoughts on why?
                A1, Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm & 70-210mm (Exif data....what Exif data?)

Comment

Some great advice here many thanks, OK It seems the general consensus would be the 5D mkiii.
                  JASON

Comment

Diverging from the consensus, a little.
                    It depends to some extent for whom the camera is intended. If for your son, some may feel that he will learn a lot from the 5D2 - which remains a fantastic camera - and aspire, one day, to move on to a higher spec camera. A very expensive camera if taken to school on a regular basis. (deoends on the school, I gess). Peer grief if the top camera does not produce the goods etc.
                    Perhaps a steer from the school would be beneficial.
                    If for you, then go for it. I did.

Comment

Time for a new camera?

Hi ChristopherM,
                      Rather than have a one man's biased opinion (i.e.. me) if you google 'Zeiss 21mm lens reviews' you will get a heap of sites that review the lens. For example, the-digital-picture.com compares the performance of the Zeiss to a whole array of Canon wide angle lenses. Remember, that with a Zeiss lens, you do loose auto-focus ability but since most serious landscape photographers use manual focus, especially to achieve hyper focal focussing, then this is not an issue.
                      Lastly, a choice of lens is a personal thing, only you know your budget, what you want to use it for, how often it will be used, how much wear and tear you are going to inflict on it, etc. By careful research you should end up finding the best tool for the job.
                      If Canon is best then choose it, if not and it will still function on a Canon body, then choose a non-Canon product. All I would say is that Brand Loyalty should have no place in that decision process.
                      James.
                      James Boardman Woodend
                      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

For what it is worth, I understood that the 5D2 has been discontinued by Canon. Personally, I wouldn't go for a discontinued model if buying new, despite the (I am sure well deserved) popularity of the camera. I should also say, that I have a 5Diii, and love it, but have also kept my 7D...

Good luck

Richard
                        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

For stuff where the whizzy AF or higher burst rate doesn't help the 5DmkIII isn't that much of a plus over the 5DmkII. The sensor doesn't really offer anything more at base ISO than the older one (DXO say it has a tiny bit less Dynamic Range). If money isn't a sticking point the 5DmkIII is better for general use, although I'd probably take the 6D over the 5DmkII as the WiFi could be handy with two of you and the central AF point is good.
                          The Energizer brand has developed a series of alternative smartphones, offering rugged construction and super-long battery life. The Energizer E520 boasts a military-grade MIL-STD-810G certified shockproof construction, dust- and waterproof up to 1.5m for 30 minutes, and a 4000mAh Li-Ion battery that runs for 17.5 days in standby mode as well as offering over 31 [...]

BTW on the Zeiss I think I'd consider an adapted Nikon 14-24 (except I have the Canon 14mm II so I wouldn't) and the TSE-24 II if I was going for "super-sharpness with limitations" before the Zeiss lens (not that the Zeiss isn't good). In reality you have to print really really big to tell the difference between any of these and the more mundane offerings.

Lenses I like for Landscape: 14, 24-105, 70-200 - with the zooms I find getting the crop just right more than makes up for any extra resolution from a prime once you've cropped, unless you can get to the perfect spot, of course (which can often be in mid-air or wet).

Comment

Thanks for your input Dr, regarding the 5d mkii my thoughts are very similar to yours.
                            JASON

Comment

I am still using the 5D MK2 and enjoying every minute with it.It has 21.2 M.pixels and it is up their with it's relations.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X