Photoplus or EOS magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photoplus or EOS magazine

at the moment i am subscribed to Photoplus magazine which is a Canon based photography magazine. Question i have is for any forum members who have previously or are still currently subscribed to Photoplus, is there much difference between the two magazines?

Re: Photoplus or EOS magazine

I used to take most of the photography magazines, but over time I have stopped all of them except EOS Magazine.

By all means have both, but EOS is the best for me.
    Colin

Comment

I don't know photoplus but I subscribe to several magazines through Zinio, in addition to downloading EOS.
      I prefer to read my magazines on my iPad and having to download EOS to pdf (with only an average resolution, btw) before transferring it to the iPad is inconvenient but, I have to say, worth the effort. Whereas I find I flick through most of the others looking for photos or articles that grab my attention, I tend to take more time over the EOS mag.
      I first subscribed to #1 a zillion years ago, after I bough an film version EOS 5 with eye controlled focus positioning (still got it somewhere), and read every word of every page and tried just about everything they ever taught me. I thoroughly recommend it for its ability to teach from novice to expert.
      But I wish I could get it on Zinio! Hope Paul's reading....
      Andy

Comment

I never subscribed but did buy photoplus quite regularly but after a while I gave up with it as i found it quite basic and sometimes with advice which did not seem quite right, coupled with the fact that some of the staff "experts" were still using a basic 400D. Between us Dee and I subscribe to, as well as EOS, Digital Photo, Practical Photography and Digital SLR magazines

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

the one thing i have found with photoplus is that they seem to be very vague on topics they dont seem to get into the nitty gritty of a subject. think will give eos a go.

Comment

Paul, do we get commission for bringing in customers?

Comment

Photoplus - there was a mag of that name many years ago, a quite good monthly launched with some fanfare, but it suddenly died. The current one I've picked up a few times, but never been very impressed by it. EOS Mag is much more authoritative and intelligent IMHO.
              Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

one gripe which i have is that if you are a printed subscriber you pay a one of flat fee and get complete access to the back catalogue. however, as a digital subscriber you must buy credits to access back issues. thats a bit unfair really.

Comment

thats a bit unfair really.
                  Or, you could subscribe to the magazine.

Whilst I like and enjoy digital technology, the EOS printed magazine seems to have more substance, more weight to it, more authoritative somehow.
                  Colin

Comment

I subscribe to the digital copy of the EOS, as it is much cheaper for me than the printed copy as it cost an arm & a toe to mail the hard copy over the pond. I also subscribe digitally to Black + White Photography, Photography Week (iPad App) & Outdoor Photography. Hard print subscription Popular Photography and I buy Photo Technique once in a while.

Tom

Comment

coupled with the fact that some of the staff "experts" were still using a basic 400D.
                      To be fair, they do make a point in the editorial about being a magazine for ALL EOS users, and deliberately try to mix up the articles and experts' use of all EOS cameras old and new, 1100d to 1D - that is kind of the point of the mag.

It is clearly aimed at the new/returning EOS owner and aspiring/improving EOS owner - it stands to reason that after a time, as an EOS owner progresses, they will find this mag less and less relevant to them.

It's just a point on the journey

Ian
                      EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Yes; there is a clear difference between the two magazines! Why do you ask? What's your opinion of PhotoPlus?

There's no doubt in my mind that EOS magazine is the superior magazine; but it is 'only' a quarterly, does not (in general) cover Post-Processing hints, tips, techniques and ideas outside of the occassional article on using DPP, and tends to be far more in-depth on the technical issues rather than the 'popular' subject matter.

In an ideal world there would be one Canon dedicated mag covering all subjects at all levels of ability, but sadly there's not. I have subscribed to PhotoPlus since it's launch. In the early days I had a great deal to learn (and still do really...) and I found the low-key approach to techniques very helpful, specially since I could relate directly to what I was holding in my hand at the time. As time has gone on, I'm now finding that a great deal is repeated or recycled, but, in all fairness, I've found that to be the case with most of the popular monthly mags. There's only so many subjects that can be covered!

Over the last year or so, I've ramped-up my learning, and so, for me personally, I think I've nearly reached the limit of what PhotoPlus can give me. I have a good library of 'how-to' articles now to look back on. But if you're a relative amateur I feel it probably has something to offer, and it's always a good idea to have a regular refresh of things anyway...

Lee
                        Cheers;
                        Lee
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                        5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                        17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

But if you're a relative amateur I feel it probably has something to offer
                          Well argued Lee.
                          Colin

Comment

I have had many diiferent monthly photo mags over the years.
                            As a Canon user the content was only partially relevant.
                            Most of those mags were 50% adverts.

The EOS Magazine is dedicated to everything EOS (Canon), yes there are adverts but everything else is Canon related.
                            Paying a one-off fee gives peace of mind and you never miss an issue.
                            The EOS Magazine is not available in the shops so is exclusive to subscribers, that makes it and you special.
                            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                              Or, you could subscribe to the magazine.

Whilst I like and enjoy digital technology, the EOS printed magazine seems to have more substance, more weight to it, more authoritative somehow.
                              Don't forget the feel of quality paper Colin - and the aroma of fresh ink as well

(Robert: usual address for the payment - plain brown envelope please )
                              Bob Turner
                              Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Working...
                              X