Protecting Your Camera & Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting Your Camera & Lens

I'm pretty new to the DSLR world and as such was a little apprehensive when I went out for a stroll with my camera today. It was raining, not heavily but enough to cause me concern over the welfare of my camera and lens. Normally the old compact would be whipped out of the pocket, snap taken then back in before a rain drop has fallen, not quite possible with my Canon EOS400D.

The question is, how do you all protect your camera and lens from the rain/mud/snow etc.....?

Looking for ideas that don't cost a packet, I'm certainly not a rich man.

Thanks

Alan
    Alan

Canon EOS 7D MK II, Canon 18-55mm IS STM, Canon 55-250mm STM.

Aim in life, to learn something new every day.

Re: Protecting Your Camera & Lens

Hi Alan
    I generally do not go out in bad weather.
    I do however keep my camera and lens in a proper photographic bag which protects it from the wet, dust and any bumps.
    It comes out to take the photos and then goes back in.
    I also carry a "spudz" microfibre cloth for a quick wipe down of my gear.
    The Spudz cloths are available on eBay at reasonable prices HERE
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Alan, there's a lot to be said for a decent camera bag with a raincover, it'll protect your equipment from even torrential rain but does have limitations (such as only covering the outside of the bag, so you'll need to place the bag down carefully so you keep the waterproof side uppermost). Even those bags without a raincover should still provide reasonable protection from all but the most persistent rainfall.

For actually using a camera in the rain I carry a couple of sports micro-fibre towels which can be used to cover the camera to protect it from rain and to dry it off should it become wet. Keep it covered between shots and minimise exposure.

There are proprietary rain jackets available which cover the entire camera/lens but I've heard some negative stories about them causing condensation within the camera. In the dim distant past I've used plastic bags, but I prefer the micro-fibre towel option now.

Protection needn't cost a fortune, so long as you're able to minimise exposure :-)
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

If I am out and about in the wet, I am usually wearing a waterproof coat of some description and have the camera around my neck, under the zipped up coat. Need to take a shot, unzip, bring it up to my eye, tale the shot and then back under the coat again.

If the rain is a lot worse, I have special clear plastic Optech rain covers that do the job of protecting the body and lens. They cost around £8.
        Colin

Comment

As Colin said if I am out and about in the rain and need to use the camera I use the Optech rainsleeves's

Comment

Wow some great ideas for me to use, I'm an all weather walker/photographer so rain or shine I'll be out with my camera. The Op Tech covers look great and will hardly break the piggy bank, the use of my coat and some micro fibre cloths also sounds great.

I bought a camera bag as soon as my DSLR arrived, needed to be able to carry the gear around knowing it was well protected.

435074198_978.jpg
            Alan

Canon EOS 7D MK II, Canon 18-55mm IS STM, Canon 55-250mm STM.

Aim in life, to learn something new every day.

Comment

Op Tech covers sound a great idea, body my be weather resistant and the lens not and vice versa ! Camera bags, I got very fed up with carrying a Lowepro 400 around-fine to carry all kit-but when I just need a body and a couple of average size lenses a 180/similar does the job. Why carry a suitcase when you just need a briefcase.
              Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

Me too.

I tend to keep a main camera bag in the car and just decant what I need to a smaller bag, or body and lens around my neck and another lens and a flash in pockets.
                Colin

Comment

My all weather DSLR is protected with body armour (so is the lens) and I always keep the lens hood on and it wears a Protect filter. If the walk is going to have challenges (bad weather + terrain) I will just take the G10. I make use of ExPed dry bags to keep everything I carry dry (even in the backpack). A microfibre cloth is useful when equipment gets wet. Condensation prevention can be a major problem.

As I walk with others I don't have the luxury of time for doing photography properly (whatever that might mean). I have to keep a watchful eye for something worthy of a photo as I'm walking, navigating etc. and then quickly take the photo. Even then I may find the group some 100m or more away ... not good if as is often the case I'm leading.

Comment

Working...
                  X