Lens coats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens coats

Any reason why members use lens coats on telephoto lenses-apart from the obvious cameo effect? Can any member recommend a bespoke lens coat for the 300mm f4L IS USM lens.

Thanks

Nat
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Lens coats

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
    Any reason why members use lens coats on telephoto lenses-apart from the obvious cameo effect? Can any member recommend a bespoke lens coat for the 300mm f4L IS USM lens.

Thanks

Nat
    Some of these manufacturers have a good reputation

Comment

It breaks up the lines of an obviously man made object and in the case of Canon white lenses, provides a more natural colouring.

Also, the lenses are big and the bigger they are, the more likely to get the odd knocks and scratches. Lens coats are neoprene rubber with a fabric outer and they do go a long way to protecting the lenses from damage and preserving their value.
      Colin

Comment

Nat - is this for protection or a fashion statement (a brithwe Dewi Sant one?) or just to obfuscate the white lens? As you know ... it'll add grammes to the weight

Comment

The other reason that hasn't been mentioned is that it is a lot warmer holding the neoprene coat in cold weather rather than the cold lens.

Comment

I like that Robin- good for April 1st. Thanks Colin and Ian.Both very valid points- yes, I noted that the lens was cold,hand holding on some of my recent outings. MX5, it also helps other bird watchers from looking at my lens.I suppose I have to look around Ebay for a reasonable one to fit my lens.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

MX5, it also helps other bird watchers from looking at my lens.
              Is that a problem you've experienced? Can't say people look and point at me 'that wrinkly's got a white lens'!

Comment

On eBay they are £39.00 for the 300mm f/4L IS lens.
                I suggest taking a look here at a much lower price (HERE)
                Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                  Is that a problem you've experienced? Can't say people look and point at me 'that wrinkly's got a white lens'!
                  I have had one or two people looking both at me and my lens, which is why I thought of the lens coat + for protection of course. Stephen, you the are second person who has pointed me to this very supplier. I have actually bought my lens coat from them for £23 but with VAT,P&P etc it came to £32- still cheaper than Ebay.

Comment

I have had one or two people looking both at me and my lens,
                    Those stunning good looks I guess Anyway let us know how your dressed 300mm gets on. It's a neoprene coat that my 40D wears (and a partial one for the lens) ... but solely for protection rather than obfuscation.

Comment

I may even consider a lens coat for my 70-200mm lens Nice to show off as pro.photographer.

Comment

I dont think a lens coat is very practical for a 300 f4 as, I think, it would mean you needing to leave the lens hood extended all the time, taking up more room in the bag and also making it difficult to put on and take off the lens cap - really why i have never bothered to put one on mine

Stan
                        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                        flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                          I dont think a lens coat is very practical for a 300 f4 as, I think, it would mean you needing to leave the lens hood extended all the time, taking up more room in the bag and also making it difficult to put on and take off the lens cap
                          Stan
                          I was looking for one to put on my 400 but have the same issue with the lens hood I was wondering if it would be possible/ practical to run a scalpel around the lens coat at the pont the lens hood joins the lens thus making the lens coat into a 2 piece unit.

Comment

I myself thought about this but I have ordered a two piece one- the front bit goes over the lens hood and will be there. When the lens hood is extended the lens coat on it just goes with it and when retracted it follows suit. In short the lens coat for the front bit is one which goes over the lens hood and stays put. The second half of the lens coat covers the rest of the lens protecting the AF/MF switch and the IS switches. You need a 2 piece unit. I also know that another member Mickledore has got a 400mm lens and he uses a lenscoat for his lens. He is still a forum member and you might like to send him a PM under his forum name and he will reply. Very helpful gentleman and regularly wins club competitions.

Ian, I wouldn't advise you to cut anything on your lenscoat till you have contacted Mickeldore.

He has infact offered to lend me his 400mm lens for a play around,the next time we go out, "Puffin shooting".

Regards
                            Nat
                            Last edited by Nathaniel; 02-04-2013, 18:05.

Comment

Just thought I might mention that I received my lens coat for the 300mm f4L IS USM lens today and I am really over the moon. I have a coat for the lenshood,one for the body,one for the TC 1.4 convertor and one even for the tripod ring, all for the princely sum of £23 excluding P&P and VAT. With P&P & VAT a total of £32. I have already put on the coat for the lens hood and the main body and they all fit perfectly. I will see if I need the coat for the TC.

PS:- Anyone interested should contact:-www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk
                              Last edited by Nathaniel; 05-04-2013, 19:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X