Nature photography- Picture book style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nature photography- Picture book style

I do not know how other members think about it but I am just thowing this idea into the pool for discussion.

I find that the Nature photography thread is a very popular one and I was wondering whether there could be a subdivision into "picture book style" and "natural". I mean by the first, an image that is clear cut in detail but devoid of any habitat and under the second category, images that has a more "natural" look i.e with the habitat included. This would be something like the sub division in the "people/portraits" thread.

Perhaps Robert might also like to think about this.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Nature photography- Picture book style

If there was to be a "splitting" then maybe the split should be between "Captivity" (eg Hawk Conservancy, BWC as examples) and "Free Range" (WWT Barnes, Arundal, Slimbridge as examples).
    However a "gotcha" raises it's head with the Hawk Conservancy as any photo taken from the hides would fall into the "Free Range" whilst those taken in the morning at the displays would fall into the "Captive" category.
    Then watch the discussions about whether or not an image is in the correct category....
    David

Comment

What I meant was photos that are fit for a picture book like say Collins "Birds of Britain", where there is no back ground, no natural habit and those taken with a some sort of background/habitat showing. For example I can post a picture of say a Heron and remove all the reeds and even the water, and just show the bird or I can show some background detail.

By the same token it doesn't matter if a bird was taken in Slimbridge or Martin Mere WWT ,BWC and so on but one can show only the bird of prey for example or the bird of prey with some details of the background also showing in the picture.

I know that there are several expert photographers in our midst who post top class pictures. But as I am interested in wild life pictures with a bit of the habitat showing, I would aim to improve my photography by looking at those photos. I am sure there are other members who have similar interests,inclinations.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I like this idea but I think this could end up being very a complex system - are we looking also, in the "Natural" section, to take into account whether the bird photo was taken from a hide or taken using fieldcraft and stalking skills. The photos that mean most to me are the ones taken involving patience and stealth even if photographically they are no more than record quality.

David
        PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

But then surely then patience and stealth are required when sitting in a hide waiting to get the shot.
          I just think that its trying to over complicate things by having a sub category after all the object of all these conservancies is to help protect the species and protect their habitat.

Just my tuppence worth
          Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Thanks David & Alex. I am only thinking aloud. To me it doesn't matter whether the photo was taken from a hide or anywhere but under "natural" I would include ones that have had the minimum of PS to remove the habitat. In this I am with you David (Morison), but it doesn matter if the pic was taken at a BWC.
            Last edited by Nathaniel; 08-05-2013, 21:43.

Comment

Working...
            X