Do you ever feel insanely frustrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you ever feel insanely frustrated?

Shooting anything in Glasgow over this past month has been nothing short of a nightmare. Grey skies, rain and more of the same. Sunny spells when you're doing anything but holding a camera.

I look at forums all the time and I think it's because everyone is closer together that you feel you're the only one who is restricted by your variable aperture lenses.

Everywhere I seem to go it's always f4 telephoto primes, or even f2.8 and excellent, well exposed images. I can honestly say that the difference between 1/640th and 1/800th is quite a margin in birding.

I even resorted to Tv at 1/1000th and auto ISO. My camera just sat at ISO6400 the whole time. I wanted birds landing before the top of the fence and anything slower was not good enough.

My aperture of f5.6 was killing me, and I was crying out for less.

Like most I got to the point where frustration was getting to the point where I was cursing Canon. They draw you in and make you need expensive lenses, because we see how good an image they can produce everyday on forums, photo sites and magazines. The users of these lenses probably took ages to save for them and they deserve it.

It fills you with a distinct sense of fail to know that if you had £1000, you'd probably need something else first, and that's just for an entry level f5.6 that wouldn't solve your light issues anyway.

Part of my rant is that photography is probably one of the most difficult pursuits i've ever taken on, and you need either long reach lenses that let loads of light in, or mid range stuff and take on an OU degree in stalking or sitting in a hide for 6 hours, 5ft away from a perch, hoping that something will land on it. Life tends to get in way of life sometimes and with all the noise that comes with it, your photography really does suffer.

I think a lot of new photographers make a grave mistake as I have been doing of late.

You have an allocation of time, or a window of opportunity. You set yourself up for shooting a particular thing, or something that you've been trying for a while. It then falls apart at the seams outwith your control and your window is gone for another few days.

Frustration then sinks in and the cycle begins. You start getting mad at everyone around you, and blaming them for taking up all your time and wish that just for once you could actually put some real effort into it.

You want to go live in a log cabin in the woods and just go out all day taking time to learn how the light falls on your surroundings, and that's what its about. It's not about learning light, it's about learning how your environment changes with the light that is available.

I think photo consumption on a daily basis can be the most damaging aspect of this lifestyle, and sometimes we forget and don't appreciate why we picked up a camera in the first place.

Sorry for the rant but it can't only just be me that feels they're going crazy.

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Do you ever feel insanely frustrated?

Paul, thanks for your rant. It is very informative as to how one can get that "feeling" which you describe. However, as any of our experienced members will say, it is the photographer who does the "shooting". One has to know one's equipment thoroughly and get to know some of the basic arts which members often take time to point out. There are also many members who use the basic kit lenses- called kit lenses as they are offered as a package, but these are excellent lenses, and these members have taken some top class pictures. Above all,photography is a personal thing- how you like YOUR picture to look, not how someone else's picture looks. One can of course aspire to copy another member's pic but with an individuality that is your own. Finally, I keep a note book of photo tips, where I note down certain bits of advice I have received on the forum such as for example when Stan,Colin,Les say, make sure you have some space infront of the bird- the bird must move into the space; keep the subject off centre etc etc.

I note that you have excellent pieces of equipment and go out and ENJOY your photography.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
      Paul, thanks for your rant. It is very informative as to how one can get that "feeling" which you describe. However, as any of our experienced members will say, it is the photographer who does the "shooting". One has to know one's equipment thoroughly and get to know some of the basic arts which members often take time to point out. There are also many members who use the basic kit lenses- called kit lenses as they are offered as a package, but these are excellent lenses, and these members have taken some top class pictures. Above all,photography is a personal thing- how you like YOUR picture to look, not how someone else's picture looks. One can of course aspire to copy another member's pic but with an individuality that is your own. Finally, I keep a note book of photo tips, where I note down certain bits of advice I have received on the forum such as for example when Stan,Colin,Les say, make sure you have some space infront of the bird- the bird must move into the space; keep the subject off centre etc etc.

I note that you have excellent pieces of equipment and go out and ENJOY your photography.
      Thanks for the reply Nathaniel.

I agree that it's the photographer that creates an image. I think my issue above all was about time. I get about an hour in the morning (07:30 - 08:30) before I start work, then if it's not raining, an hour for lunch. (12-1) Morning shot it great as the sun isn't too harsh and there's a lot of movement in the bird world.

I'm usually ready to get a shot and some idiot runs by me with a dog or cycles by with haste and the subject flies away.

I'm lucky I have a park next to me but sometimes your window gets closed for you, and can lead to serious frustrations. I sometimes just stand and wait for ages, and things tend to fly to me, but you need to be quick, and quick focusing is something the Tamron does not do.

We live and learn I guess :)
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Hi Paul
        I know what you mean about frustration. Just because its raining, does not mean you could not do some street photography for instance. What I do and it works for me. is sit down and make a list of projects I 'may' want to cover over a year. So that may be Cricket, Rugby, wildlife, macro, street, etc. I will then set myself the task and have a go. If it doesnt work out at least I hope Ive learnt something. If its raining, I may have a go at some macro indoors,playing with lighting and flash etc. If none of these work you cant beat sitting down with an instruction manual for youre camera or flash and having a play. Set yourself targets. For instance at work in youre lunch break and its raining you could stand in a doorway and shoot people on the street as they scurry about with their umbrellas up.
        Just my thoughts - feel free to ignore!

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
          Hi Paul
          I know what you mean about frustration. Just because its raining, does not mean you could not do some street photography for instance. What I do and it works for me. is sit down and make a list of projects I 'may' want to cover over a year. So that may be Cricket, Rugby, wildlife, macro, street, etc. I will then set myself the task and have a go. If it doesnt work out at least I hope Ive learnt something. If its raining, I may have a go at some macro indoors,playing with lighting and flash etc. If none of these work you cant beat sitting down with an instruction manual for youre camera or flash and having a play. Set yourself targets. For instance at work in youre lunch break and its raining you could stand in a doorway and shoot people on the street as they scurry about with their umbrellas up.
          Just my thoughts - feel free to ignore!
          Good points :) I like the shooting people in the rain idea that appeals to my humorous nature. I have a strobe at home and never use it.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
            Good points :) I like the shooting people in the rain idea that appeals to my humorous nature. I have a strobe at home and never use it.
            Sense of humour goes a long way...
            I dont want to hijack youre thread, but after reading youre last thread I had this wacky idea.
            7D (second hand) nifty 50. + V11 Elpro (second hand) off camera 580ex flash (second hand) with diffuser (2 bob from HK)
            Just a play to see what came out a refamiliarise myself with the flash

PHOTOGRAPHY CAN DRIVE YOU NUTS

it can drive you nuts by Robin M Jones, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
              PHOTOGRAPHY CAN DRIVE YOU NUTS

it can drive you nuts by Robin M Jones, on Flickr
              Yes it does. I just had a little play with a Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS and a Canon EF 70-300 f4-5.6L and my wish list just got bigger. Noticeable improvement on focus on the L series over my Tamron. It's like half the time, and what a delight it was to have my FOV opened up in the viewfinder with the Sigma.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

My camera just sat at ISO6400 the whole time.
                I honestly have never used ISO 6400, I honestly have never used ISO 3200 and once used ISO 1600.
                Is it really that dark in Glasgow?

Have you thought of going to a butterfly farm during these grey days?
                Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

As to the subject line - YES!

Also, beware 'trying out' L lenses... once you start down that road, there's no going back! lol (and you have a similar lens to what I started with, and have now 'tried' the lens I now have!)

I agree with Rob, in that we all may benefit from having several 'projects' in mind, and just do what time and conditions permit. I usually have several things in mind on any photo day out I have, so if the main object isn't panning out (pun intended), I have a few other things to try.

Just accept you can only be as good as you currently are, but you can always learn more, especially from what doesn't work! All practice therefore is GOOD practice, regardless of whether you feel you achieved your main aim!

I've been quite impressed with your shots so far, and look forward to seeing more from you... even if it is people with umbrellas!

Mike
                  flickr
                  5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

One other point which I forgot. A very experienced forum member and friend (a frequent prize winner at his camera club) recently advised me to take all my wild life pics in Jpeg rather than RAW so that you don't spend too much time editing your pics. It is a different matter if you are entering competitions or taking photographs at a wedding (I will then use both Jpeg & RAW). I usually take over 400 pics when I go out with him.
                    At least by shooting in Jpeg you reduce your time spent editing pics. Also keep in mind that many professional photographers use only JPEG not only to send their pics quickly to news editors and the like but also to cut down on their time. I try to get my pics "right" in camera as best as possible and generally shoot in Jpeg- unless I have a commisioned assignment when I use both Jpeg & RAW.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                      As to the subject line - YES!

Also, beware 'trying out' L lenses... once you start down that road, there's no going back! lol (and you have a similar lens to what I started with, and have now 'tried' the lens I now have!)

Mike
                      A guy I work with came in with his 7D to get help with the firmware upgrade and I managed to get a shot of his 70-300 f4-5.6L IS USM. Makes my Tamron lens feel very slow indeed. I have made that mistake *gulps*

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      One other point which I forgot. A very experienced forum member and friend (a frequent prize winner at his camera club) recently advised me to take all my wild life pics in Jpeg rather than RAW so that you don't spend too much time editing your pics. It is a different matter if you are entering competitions or taking photographs at a wedding (I will then use both Jpeg & RAW). I usually take over 400 pics when I go out with him.
                      At least by shooting in Jpeg you reduce your time spent editing pics. Also keep in mind that many professional photographers use only JPEG not only to send their pics quickly to news editors and the like but also to cut down on their time. I try to get my pics "right" in camera as best as possible and generally shoot in Jpeg- unless I have a commisioned assignment when I use both Jpeg & RAW.
                      It's a good point. JPEGs if set up correctly in camera can yeild a good result, and obviously won't slow down the 7D as much as RAW does. I might give it a bash.

Seeing i've stopped using LR and only DPP and photoshop I reckon I could get away with it.
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                        I honestly have never used ISO 6400, I honestly have never used ISO 3200 and once used ISO 1600.
                        Is it really that dark in Glasgow?

Have you thought of going to a butterfly farm during these grey days?
                        It's really that dark in Glasgow, honest :)

I don't have anything like that near me. Plus I only have two lenses. My 50mm focus drive me insane and it's not been right on the 7D as it fails to focus correctly at 1.8 - It needs micro adjusted but I don't have the kit for that.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

It's really that dark in Glasgow, honest :)
                          But a deep fried Mars bars lights things up

Dark foreboding skies lend themselves to 'active' landscapes ... and rain on city stonework has appeal. So rain, mist, fog etc doesn't deter me.

As for the JPEG vs RAW battles ... use whichever you are comfortable with. Or shoot in both. I know some people don't get RAW and others shoot nothing but RAW (making us of recipes in DPP to batch process RAWs to JPEGs) and others shoot in JPEG as they upload immediately back to base.

Comment

Have you tried:-

World of Wings (14 miles from Glasgow) Birds of prey

Glasgow Transport Museum (link)

The Glasgow Botanic Gardens and Kimble Palace

Just a thought
                            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                              Have you tried:-

World of Wings (14 miles from Glasgow) Birds of prey

Glasgow Transport Museum (link)

The Glasgow Botanic Gardens and Kimble Palace

Just a thought

I went up to World of Wings the other day to check it out and I nearly tore my bumper off on my car with the road leading up to the place being single lane with no passing places lol

Mostly all of my pictures are taken either in the Botanical Gardens or Kelvingrove Park. Both 2 mins walk from my work. Botanic Gardens is a tough one as the front element steams up in the glass house all the time.

I've walked down to the transport museum a few times but you really need a wide angle to get the benefit out of it. A lot of the exhibits are really close together to stepping back isn't an option.

Cheers for taking the time though Stephen to look out for us :)
                              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                              X