Canon Project 1709

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Project 1709

Just thought I would ask if anyone here is using Canons Project1709 which is to launch later this year ?

Also if you are using it what are your thoughts/opinions on it
    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Re: Canon Project 1709

? Is it this that you are posting about - Canon Project 1709?
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

See to be honest, Canon have got a lot to catch up on with Project 1709. I've been with it since it launched in beta and I can count on one hand the amount i've used it over Flickr or 500PX. It's just so far dated that it's a disappointment.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
        See to be honest, Canon have got a lot to catch up on with Project 1709. I've been with it since it launched in beta and I can count on one hand the amount i've used it over Flickr or 500PX. It's just so far dated that it's a disappointment.
        I'm the same I just find its so far behind flickr etc that I too am disappointed with it
        Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
          ? Is it this that you are posting about - Canon Project 1709?
          Yes it is Bob
          Alex

Comment

So good to hear of someone else using it and possibly of the same opinion. I have had many issues since I started with it in January, I so want it to work as it could be useful, of course this all depends on what they decide to charge when it goes live.

Doug.
            Cameras... 7D, 350D
            Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
            Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Like I've been with it since the beta ... I was expecting great things ... but have been disappointed. I login every so often expecting to see something different but thus far ... nowt.

Comment

I thought it was more for online backup of your images than a gallery.

Comment

I signed up with the Beta - uploaded a couple of pics - but I am not really sure what it is/does - I find it a bit confusing and it certainly does not inspire me to spend any time on it
                  EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

The only decent thing is that it gives you access to your original images for free. How long this will last I don't know, but it saved me a couple of times. I logged off from my work computer once forgetting to move a folder of LR exports. I went to log back in and my profile didn't sync with the server when I logged off so I lost the lot. Luckily I had uploaded most of the stuff to Project1709 and managed to get them back.

So as far as a back up solution goes its good, however, it won't be used as a gallery.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

Interestingly Canon just sent me a questionnaire about what I think about 1709 !! I was honest !!

Comment

This one slipped by my radar, but judging from the comments I haven't missed much?
                        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by Montana 5 View Post
                          So good to hear of someone else using it and possibly of the same opinion. I have had many issues since I started with it in January, I so want it to work as it could be useful, of course this all depends on what they decide to charge when it goes live.

Doug.
                          Judging by the tone of the questionnaire I also just filled out (and I was honest also) - they clearly are intending to charge a monthly subscription, perhaps with a limited function/storage free option.

My view is that as Canon are not a software company, they are not dependent on software income, but they are clearly seeing this as a way to add income - and like a lot of business at the moment, they are trying to find a way to tap into monthly subscriptions - surely they would be more far sighted if they took the opportunity treat this as a free service to Canon customers
                          EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Yep been with it since conception and it is far from ideal and had lots of issues but it is a beta. I do go on now and then and add a few images... I think the idea is it will be your image store and you can then share on social network sites or forums etc... I also think they need to add a lot more content and allow you to set up proper portfolio pages etc, then be able to link your web address to your pages etc... I have my own server so do not really need anywhere else to store images. I must admit it is not what i thought it would/could be.
                            All the best
                            Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Comment

These are the issues I'm having, just wondered if anyone else finds the same...

1/ After logging in it takes over 4 minutes to change from a white screen to the Grey 1709 background, then another 30 to 60 seconds to load my images.

2/ Going from Albums back to All Images takes another20 to 40 secs to re load.

3/ Albums still showing original upload title with .jpg, not the edited title.

4/ Filter by Tag or Camera is still missing the activating search tab, so effectively is useless.

5/ Selective upload/upload via web is still throwing up errors and images don't appear in timeline until logged out and back in a few times, sometimes its the next day.

All these issues have been raised with the build team at least twicel. I'll probably give up on it eventually as I'm wasting too much time waiting on things to happen both on and off the screen. I know its easy to say its a beta version so there will be teething problems, however having taken part in beta versions of web sites before, this one seems to have its priorities all wrong.

Doug
                              Cameras... 7D, 350D
                              Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
                              Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Working...
                              X