Critics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics

One thing that really sticks in my teeth is critics.

I have a few people on Digital Rev's social site that just love to stick their oar in on most peoples photos, and everytime I upload a pic that is a little off par, they pounce.

Constructive criticism is ok however, from people I regard as masters of their craft.

Most of these critics work is indeed in need of critique too, so I have no idea where they get the higher authority from.

See if you were to listen to every piece of critique you got, photography would no longer be you're own adventure, it's ten other peoples.

What do you think?

Advice from people here never bothers me, because I hold so many of you on such high regard, however, I think some critics do it through sheer jealousy and i'm noticing it more and more each day to the point where I just don't want to upload my work.

Grrrr

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Critics

I agree with you about constructive criticism as it is the way I learn i.e that tree would be better further to the right or you need to focus on the eye etc.

I think that you are probably right about their jealously they wish they had taken the image and because it is possibly better than theirs they feel the need to knock yours to make the feel better. I enjoy uploading my images on here as I feel that everyone here is helpful and just out to enjoy photography.

I do feel though that if you personally are happy with your photo then that is the most important part.
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

And it's not just what they say .......... it's how they say it! That's why 'Points Scoring" or oneupmanship has no place on this Forum.
      Colin

Comment

i'm noticing it more and more each day to the point where I just don't want to upload my work.
        Well don't then Paul. Life is too short to put yourself under stress for no return.

I've never used the DigitalRev forum, but I do know that if you want to get your work panned the Shutterstock forum is the place to go. Pistols at dawn stuff

That said I've learned a lot from them. The comments were harsh but usually accurate - they are especially tough on focus & composition.

This forum is quite different. There are some tremendous photos here (especially from the "birding group" and the landscapers) but some are less impressive and I sometimes wonder if we are a little too ready to praise, and a little too reticent to critique (constructively of course)
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

The point you make here is one of the main reasons I joined this forum. All comments (and members) seem pleasant and constructive rather than being shot down in flames and nasty which can be very intimidating. I have only just started out and am in need of being 'pointed' in the right direction rather than being told my images are poor/rubbish. I feel I will improve by receiving constructive comments and pointers and not negative comments.
          http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/12679003@N04/

Comment

To be honest, I don't post to any other photographic forums, so I don't have any such experience, but am on some other non-photographic ones so I can well imagine what you are saying.
            It seems to me that the biggest thing is not what they are saying but how they say it. I do occasionally make comments on people's photos on here, but I am always very careful not to denigrate their efforts but to say that 'I think it could be improved if...'. To be honest, I could be more rigorous in always qualifying that it is 'just my opinion' (because it always is) but I think this is now taken as read on most mature forums.
            Where I slightly disagree with you is that only masters of the craft have a right to critique. I am far from this, however I think I am just as qualified to point out a problem with an image. Where my lack of skill lets me down is that I can't always say how to overcome faults. By critiquing, though, I am certainly not saying that I never show the same faults in my pictures. Does that make me a hypocrite? I hope not, because I do recognise my own limitations. If the people you are talking about don't recognise their's, then I would have no interest in their opinions.
            I love the friendliness of this site but I know exactly where Columbarius is coming from in his last sentence, and I can be as guilty as the next person. This is going to sound patronising, but I do tend to be more encouraging and less critical to the newbies (although I am still one myself), and generally only offer my more critical opinions to the regulars who I know will accept it for what it is - constructive. But sometimes I do see an image that is so poor I wonder why on earth it was posted; in this case I just ignore it and move on rather than waste my own time.
            So finally, I would say that anyone who posts their art to a public site must develop a tough skin. That's life. If you are only doing it in expectation of universal adulation you are either the greatest photographer who ever existed, or you are deluded. Just take it with a pinch of salt, and enjoy the nice comments when they come.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I don't like predators or bullies and therefore would not post to that forum.
              I only post here where the members are friendly.
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I do tend to be more encouraging and less critical to the newbies
                Me too. I never lose sight of the fact that to them it is their best work and a little help and encouragement at this stage is far more helpful and motivating than being shot down in flames.

There are a number of current members who are now very good photographers that were given the gentle approach for their early posts.
                Colin

Comment

I for one Colin. If it wasn't for this forum I'd still be bouncing about high as a kite thinking I was taking technically great pics. I'm taking much better pictures now, and feel confident in saying that.

I don't however match any of the experience that you guys have, and i'm willing to learn and dismantle the advice I get and put it into practice.

Someone asked me the other day "How do you take a good picture in bright sunlight?" I couldn't tell them one straight answer, but I could pick up a camera and do it. Why? Because they would need to learn the basics first before they understood what I meant.

I'm coming close to ten thousand images on a DSLR now, and only just feel confident, but it's still a long way to go.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

DeviantArt is where art and community thrive. Explore over 350 million pieces of art while connecting to fellow artists and art enthusiasts.

Use this site. It's got really talented photographers and artists, you can choose to request critique and it's great for interacting with other photographers and sharing you work. (Not saying this place isn't) But deviantart is designed for sharing work.

Comment

Paul,
                      I totally agree with you on that there is a way to give criticism and I feel it is perfectly acceptable to just dislike an image, it is an art form after all and everyone has their own personal taste. What I disagree with though is that you have to be a 'master' to give criticism, I can see what is wrong with an image and offer advice on how to make it a better image, but I am far from being a good photographer because my weakness is remembering all of the advice and direction I've read and given to others, then applying it to my own work when I press the shutter.
                      Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Comment

I do tend to be more encouraging and less critical to the newbies
                        As a newbie, I've recognised that compassion in all of the contributors to the site, and I do appreciate it. Thank you all. As AlexR implies, I have also tried to limit my comments to images where I feel (rightly or wrongly) that I have something useful or informative to contribute, as I don't feel qualified to do much more.

In terms of the images that I post however, I'm happy for you to say this is not very good because .... focus, composition, it's boring - no theme ... whatever you really feel and to suggest how it might be bettered. I'm keen to improve, and with you all as a sounding board I think I may just manage it.
                        Russell
                        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                          There are a number of current members who are now very good photographers that were given the gentle approach for their early posts.
                          I would like to think I was one of those, well, maybe not very good, maybe just good, or better, or improved a wee bit!

Some of my first posts got heavily critiqued, but always constuctively. I feel way underqualityified (new word) to critique other's photography, so sometimes just say I like it for whatever reason. I have posted comments in the past, then gone back and edited my comment for fear of the OPs thoughts of my comments against the quality of my own work!

For me, I love people to say they like my images, but, I far prefer it when they say why it works, or why they don't think it works, and suggestions for improvement.

This is why I love this forum, because I think it has honest people,

Garry
                          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Canon Rumors can be ferocious as well. Sometimes I wince, then I pout and refuse to post there for a long time (whose loss is that???) and eventually I go back. I love this forum to bits, and I am always reassured that if there is some merit to a photograph, while some of the more trad members will express, let me call them "reservations", someone else will like it. And if they don't then I know it really shouldn't have been posted!

Tis has all given me pause for reflection, and I will try to be more forthcoming in comments about why I like (or very rarely dislike) a photograph. I don't tend to comment on a lot because I am very busy at work these days.

Good original post (because it was so thought provoking!)

Richard
                            Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I went through a terrible phase at the beginning. I got a DSLR, then started doing landscape stuff and astro stuff. Friends and Family adored my pictures and then started asking for canvases and prints, to which I obliged. I then walked around with a serious sense of false satisfaction basically because they only real pictures they had ever seen on FB was stuff from camera phones.

I started entering into competitions and won a few, hopelessly adding to that sense that I was a 'good' photographer, and that this was the best thing since sliced bread.

I started entering into competitions and won a few, adding to that cringing sense of worth that I have a memory of.

I then turned to the world of Viewbug and 500px, and it was a real eye opener. I saw the world of photography for what it was. A professional set of a million and one photos that were technically so much better than mine. I wanted to be like them, however I did not posses the technical know how to complete the task. I didn't know what blowing out highlights meant let alone know how to look out for it.

It was then that I realised with an almighty thump that I had to start all over. Friends and Family were not to see any of my pics until I changed.

Through this forum I learned to stop thinking I was great, and to listen to what was being said, and to stop over processing an image just because I knew how. I had to clean up the clutter and present my work in a clean and 'how I saw it' manner.

I think this is why I take offence to critique from people making the same mistakes I was. They too are filled with that feeling of greatness because of friends and family, and their images scream out technical problems, but you don't dare mention it because you had to walk that long road of learning and messing it up on your own.

I still don't think i'm 'there' but I'm closer to it than I was a year ago lol. I'll feel better when I'm using DPP, Photoshop & LR less and photographing more.
                              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                              X