macro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

macro

I`ve got myself a sigma 105mm macro lens for my 1d mk2 and to be honest haven`t been overly impressed, now i know it`s my fault but would like to know why.
    I see other peoples macro shots using the same lens and they look a lot better ie sharper, i`ve heard of photo stacking and tbh am not sure if this is why they are better and if so how is this done, sorry for some many questions Harvey

Re: macro

Assuming you are stopping down to f16, or f22 and you can see an area that is very sharp, any unsharp areas should be down to the very limited Depth of Field when using macro. As you have rightly suggested, focus stacking is the way forward when you want a lot more in focus.

This involves and tripod and a geared focus attachment. Take one shot at the nearest point, move the camera lens combination forward 1mm, refocus and take another shot. Keep doing that until the whole subject from front to back has been covered. Then it's into the computer and use some focus stacking software to tie it all together into one shot with tremendous Depth of Field and everything in focus.

Just to check your lens, focus on a flat newspaper with the camera parallel to it. Hopefully all is ok.
    Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin, i did think that was what focus stacking was ,just not 100% sure, this must be a nightmare with things such as bugs etc that keep moving

Comment

When taking shots of very small subjects I use a slide rail either on a solid tripod of a macro frame that I have made for the job, but after a tip from a member on this forum I now use live view and a cable release, to eliminate any vibration caused when the mirror flips up.

Ian
        Ian

Comment

I don't use small apertures (f/16-22) when taking macro shots.
          I generally use apertures between f/2.8 and f/8.0 to give a nice background blur.
          The Sigma 105mm macro has a useful OS (optical/image stabiliser) which allows for hand-held macro. This is particularly useful for objects that generally move such as insects as well as stationary objects. Take a look at Sigma's photo gallery (here) click on 4th tab.
          The minimum focal distance of the Sigma 105mm macro lens is 142mm (as of Sigma site) but likely to be closer to 310mm.

Photo stacking (as in Colin's post) is a nice alternative to get some superb detailed images.
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Working...
          X