Lens (filter) cleaning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens (filter) cleaning.

I'm looking for recommendations for cleaning small greasy marks from the outside face of protective filters please.
    The filters do their job, but get grubby from time to time. I regularly use a blower to remove loose specks of dust etc., and carefully use lens cleaning cloths when necessary, but often find small greasy deposits, perhaps from accidental finger contact, that cleaning cloths smear and spread!
    I'm aware that there are many cleaners advertised, but prefer personal recommendations based on experience, especially with expensive multi coated filters!
    Quentin

Re: Lens (filter) cleaning.

I use Zeiss disposable wipes for removing mud, dirt and general crud from my rambling kit that it sometimes picks up. Works a treat on Canon Protect filters (and the body of the 24-105L). Finish the job with a proper lens cloth.

Comment

I would advise anyone to remove finger marks (prints) ASAP. I once was going to buy a twin lens reflex camera, - 6cm x 6cm, but noticed, on the taking lens, a perfect finger print which could not be removed as it was burnt into the surface of the lens.
      I used to use "Prophot" tissues, I don't know if they are still available. But would suggest a visit to the opticians for spectacle cleaning spray. This is supposed to be safe even for plastic spectacle lenses so I'm sure it would be OK for glass lenses.

Comment

My optician sells a lens cleaner specifically for cleaning my glasses. It is based on something I can't remember the name of -Iso propyl or something?
        It specifically states on the label that it is designed for camera lenses and filters, so I bought a "handbag" size bottle and that lives in my camera bag. It seems to clean everything and leaves no residue. I just spray it on and wipe it off with one of those little cloths that hang on my camera strap.
        I did look at Boots and other High Street retailers who were selling the same sort of thing but at £15 or so. This little bottle from my own optician cost me £2.50.

Comment

That will be IPA (isopropyl alcohol) although they should be calling it Propan-2-ol these days. It's actually what my Zeiss wipes contain.

Very good solvent for electrical and photography kit. But needs using with care.

Comment

I could be over playing the semantics here, but do you mean that this is a good solvent for kit, or a good solvent for the grease and dirt on kit? I don't want to be using a solvent that will eat away at my kit!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarawak View Post
              I could be over playing the semantics here, but do you mean that this is a good solvent for kit, or a good solvent for the grease and dirt on kit? I don't want to be using a solvent that will eat away at my kit!
              It will remove grease, dirt etc. and shouldn't (that's one reason I say take care) impact your kit. But as these things say on the bottle - try on a small area first. Other reasons to take care; it's flammable and can cause skin irritation ... it's also toxic if consumed.

PS if you've got 'sticky stuff' on your kit (gum for example) ... then checkout this site De-Solv-It

Comment

Sorry but, I don't use protective lens filters!

Why spend umpteen hundreds on a lens and stick a ten pound cheepo filter on the front?
                The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Originally posted by JaKS_Foto View Post
                  Sorry but, I don't use protective lens filters!

Why spend umpteen hundreds on a lens and stick a ten pound cheepo filter on the front?
                  Well in my case it completes the weatherproofing of the lenses I use them on ... and Canon Protect Filters cost rather more than a tenner. But lets not get into the Filter - NoFilter debate. Cleaning equally applies to the front element as much as it does filters.

Comment

My filters are not "£10 cheapo filters" and the iso-propyl alcohol evaporates fairly quickly. I would rather have to replace a filter than a hundreds worth of pounds lens!
                    And ditto what MX5 says.
                    Last edited by collywobbles; 13-06-2013, 10:58. Reason: Addition

Comment

Bought one of these a few months ago, 7dayshop Lens Pen so far so good and it has been handy for removing rain spot marks, though I still prefer the old blower brush for dust.

Doug.
                      Cameras... 7D, 350D
                      Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
                      Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and advice.
                        I bought the Zeiss lens wipes as suggested (eBay, pack of 96 for £12ish). Time will tell, but they should last a while, as I only clean when necessary.
                        As for £10 filters, who would use those on an L series lens, or any Canon lens???? Personally I use either Canon or Hoya, nothing else.
                        Quentin

Comment

I got mine from (90 wipes in the box) ...one of the £1 shops ages ago (not many wipes left in the box now) ... then I noticed what the RRP is for them!!! Should have stocked up!!

Comment

Why pay for an excellent modern lens and put another sheet of glass over it?

Would you be happy shooting all your pictures through a windowpane?
                            The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Originally posted by JaKS_Foto View Post
                              Why pay for an excellent modern lens and put another sheet of glass over it?

Would you be happy shooting all your pictures through a windowpane?
                              You are entitled to your view, but I agree with previous posters. Apart from anything else, it is rather cheaper to replace a filter from time to time than a front element, and accidents and general soiling take place to the best of lenses, and photographers.
                              I think most photographers share this view.
                              Quentin

Comment

Working...
                              X