Telephoto Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telephoto Technique

Just a quick question about how you hold yours (if you know what I mean)?

Many a years ago a fiend of mine who was into shooting made some suggestions about holding things steady that I still use. As to whether its the best technique is probably debateable but it works for me.

Breathing - normal reaction is to breath in and hold, my friend suggested this was opposite of best option, basically breath out and hold.

Lens grip - I use to hold the lens very close to the camera body, my friend again suggested this wasn't best technique as a small movement would give larger movement at front of lens. His suggestion hold lens as far forward as is comfortable. Interestingly I've seen some pro photographers holding the hood on long telephoto lenses.

I adapted to these suggestions ages ago and still use.

Your views?
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Re: Telephoto Technique

I used to do a bit of indoor Air Rifle target shooting and we were always taught to 'breathe out' and hold, that's what I do when taking hand held photos too.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Hi

I agree with the breathing out and hold technique, that's what I try and do if using a telephoto, and this is was what I was taught in the Army Cadets.

Technique also changes depending on my stance!

If I'm standing (with no additional support), I place my feet about 1-2 feet apart, face the subject directly, brace both arms against the side of my body. Using my 70-300 L, I support the lens in my palm using the tripod collar, as this ensures I don't accidentaly move the manual focus ring. I apply firm pressure to bring the camera against my face/eye to keep the camera steady. If I'm panning, I only move from my waist and I 'try' to remember to go to IS mode 2, or switch it off for higher TV - but I usually forget that bit!

If I'm prone, I still support the lens using the tripod collar in my palm where I can, or I rest it on something. Obviously, if prone, I can't really pan, so I just concentrate on the breathing!

Whichever stance, you need to ensure you aren't straining to hold the position, as this will generate movement that the camera picks up. Firm but relaxed is the way to go.

Also - I always take multiple shots (well, 98% of the time). The reason being it's easy to delete afterwards, and the subject may blink/move, or there may be something in the BG that is distracting in one of the shots. Memory cards are cheap (relatively), so I carry several, and use them up!

If I'm shooting through wire fence, I'll place the lens hood so it's touching, and lean slightly forward into the shot, remembering all the above points. I'll try to line up a gap in the wire with the centre of the lens... but I won't pan like that!

Alternatively, I'll use a post/tree for support, but rarely actually get the chance as I shoot mainly wildlife which moves, so I prefer to be mobile. I rarely use a monopod or tripod, preferring to hand hold where possible. I'll use a tripod for long exposure, or 'moon' shots obviously, but that's about it!

Hope that helps! Mike
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

My style varies totally. One min I could be actually walking along and snapping, and at worst an extra in a Jackie Chan movie.
        If I know I'm using a shutter speed fast enough I really don't mind, as long as its not effecting my composition. I only switch VC on if It's less than an 800th because that 1 second delay can make or break a shot.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

I'm really thinking free standing here as sometimes I use mono pod/available support (tree, wall, etc).

800th of a second! Light must be great in Glasgow.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

As with the others I try to breath out before taking the shot, I brace my arms against my torso and hold the camera tight against the face with one hand and the other as far forward as is practical on the lens, unlike Mike when I am using my 70-300 I tend to hold it either on the back of the lens hood or very close to it, similarly with my 400mm I normally hold that as far forward as possible. If panning I will always twist at the waist and not change my hold on the camera or lens.

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
              I'm really thinking free standing here as sometimes I use mono pod/available support (tree, wall, etc).

800th of a second! Light must be great in Glasgow.
              Lately its been really bright, actually too bright sometimes, however, during the day at around 12 is when I go a walk on lunch so the suns at its highest, and not great for pics.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
              X