Gone in seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gone in seconds

Spotted on Reddit. A guy has his L lens stolen.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Re: Gone in seconds

Wow that was quick.

Comment

Scary!
      Russell
      Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

I had to watch that twice to see what happened, although seemed a bit long and black for an L? Maybe I guess. Rather him than me...

Comment

Scary alright. the moral is never to "expose" your photo equipment by carrying it around you all the time.

I myself had a narrow escape whilst holidaying in Sri Lanka. On my second or third day, I walked down to the beach & sea all alone in good afternoon sunlight. I was busy taking photos when I was accosted by a young native, in shorts,speaking very good English.He was telling me that life was hard since the Tsunami an asked me whether I wanted to see a sea turtle hatchery just a few yards away and I could take photographs. I was half tempted to go with him but then something told me to err on the cautious side and I declined. The next day, I asked at my hotel reception (Mount Lavinia) to direct me to the turtle hatchery and the gent at the reception said that there was no such hatchery around there and the nearest one was in Bentota, on the way to Galle.(the place where I took the photos and posted some on the forum). I then realised I had a narrow escape from being possibly mugged and my photo equipment stolen, had I foolishly accompanied this well spoken chap the other evening.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 11-07-2013, 22:24.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

This poor photog has been taunted so much on the net about this from other photogs labelling him as an idiot fro not observing simple precautions on holiday.

I'm going to Cyprus in 3 weeks, and I'm leaving my camera at home. I bought a small Panasonic Lumix P&S that fits in my pocket lol
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

It's very difficult to know where he went wrong. Yes he could've put his camera in a bag, but at some point you've got to take it out to take some shots. Yes, take a small P&S with you, but why should you have to?
              He had it round his neck, as opposed to over the shoulder. I would've done the same.

He should've kept his hand on his camera, especially when you're vulnerable and surrounded. And why carry what looks like a 300/600mm lens? What was he taking pictures of, China? In St Petersburg there isn't much you need a stonking great lens for. Should've left it at home, or in a bag, and put a 50mm or similar on so he didn't stick out so much.

The bag on his back though, is a weak point - whatever you put in there is gonna get snaffled without you even feeling it go. I would never ever carry a backpack unless I could afford to lose what's in it.

I personally would've kept the camera in a small camera bum bag in front (something like the SANDSTROM SWCSC13), ditched that backpack, and any mini group like that approaching me would've got a good old english verbal f off, followed by a Gedan barai stance to warn that failure to comply would be painful for them.
              Last edited by NickM; 12-07-2013, 16:15.
              I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
              X