Family Curse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Curse

Ever since I was a lad, there has been a standing joke in my family about 'The Family Curse'. This is that wherever we go, someone will ask us directions. I don't know whether we as a family just look as if we always know where we are going, but it always happens, especially in London (which is fair enough) but it even happens to me abroad, when foreigners (in their own country) will ask me directions in a language I don't understand.
    Anyway, I've noticed that since getting my DSLR several years ago, the curse seems to have expanded such that if I have my camera out at a tourist spot, I will always be the person approached by tourists to take their picture. I guess people see me with a decentish bit of kit and so think I must be a good person to ask. But does this happen to anyone else? The sad thing is that I can never get their little phone or point and shoot to work so end up looking a bit daft and they must think "well, he doesn't know much". Whilst I do try to always make a decent composition, I'm not a great one for endlessly adjusting people into poses, so I suspect I have disappointed a lot of people over the years who expected me to somehow create them a mini masterpiece. And so I tend to make a quick exit while they are studying the LCD screen so I don't see the disappointment in their eyes.
    So please tell me it isn't just me, or truly has my family curse spread its tentacles into my hobby?
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Re: Family Curse

Nope, I have that happen to me all the time as well.

Tom

Comment

Hi Alex

Strange you should post this post, as I was in Fuerteventura (Canary Islands) last week, and had this exact thing happen to me. A couple asked me to use their camera and take a shot of them together... I obliged, and gave the camera back to them, but there was no shot of them on the camera! Apparently, I hadn't pressed the button enough, so I took another one, and that worked. The bloke looked at me like I was an idiot, and pointedly looked at my 7D!

So in short, you are not alone.

P.S. HCT tomorrow (Sunday) if you're interested - I know you said before you'd like to go one day! No pressure!

Mike
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
        P.S. HCT tomorrow (Sunday) if you're interested - I know you said before you'd like to go one day! No pressure!
        Mike, yes I did, and I will (one day). Tomorrow's not convenient though, sadly. Partly because I may well be a prisoner in my own home as the RideLondon bike ride means road closures all around me...
        Have a great day though, looking forward to seeing those shots.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I get approached a lot for directions when out hill walking. Sometimes in languages I don't understand (and even a fellow walker who is fluent in at least 11 languages). It's not as though I have a map hanging round my neck or a GPS visible. And I do get asked to take pictures of fellow ramblers and folk I've never met before or since.

So not a curse ... just life IMHO.

Comment

If asked I try to palm them off onto my wife

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
            Tomorrow's not convenient though, sadly. Partly because I may well be a prisoner in my own home as the RideLondon bike ride means road closures all around me...
            Now there is an opportunity for some action shots

Dave
            www.trikietowers.com

Comment

I like to just sit and wait sometimes. I don't know why but I do...

Comment

Happens to me. Last time abroad. Couple literally grabbed me and pulled me towards a park. (Quite an achievement when you consider that I'm six two.) Friends started to panic till they saw the camera that the couple were handing me. They wanted a photo in front of one of the statues in the park.

The camera's instruction panel was all in Russian.

Apparently according to another passer by who translated. They loved the photos I took. Happens that much, I've learnt to take more than one shot.

I think - they think - you have a decent looking camera, your're not going to run off with theirs.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Happens all the time. One girl asked me also how she should use her Canon DSLR to take photographs of fireworks in Venice!

Richard
                  Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I don't take any images for free ££££££!
                    That soon puts them off

Paul
                    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I was one approached by an English couple in a cafe in France who had heard me speak French. they asked if I could help them to translate something? I said sure I'll have a go. His wife then produced a knitting pattern written in French with lots of abbreviations. I can't even understand an English knitting pattern so a french one stood no chance at all.

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                        I don't take any images for free ££££££!
                        That soon puts them off

Paul
                        [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Happened to me in Edinburgh once when I was getting some shots of tourists in Princess Street for Alamy. A young German couple asked me to take a pic for them on their camera. It was a really low level P&S. I took the pic after the girl telling me how to use it. The pic was rotten so I asked If I could take their pic.

I took the guys email address and sent him the pic a few days later. He was very appreciative of the picture and I uploaded it to Alamy as a nice tourist portrait shot. :)
                          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                          X