Arrrrggg Broadband!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrrrggg Broadband!

Once again my BB is all over the place. Normally 12meg then get some inclement weather and can be as low as 500k!!

All down to the less than satisfactory cabling where I live. When the houses were built the great idea was to use aluminium wire instead of copper. Of course this oxidises and becomes brittle and small fractures occur. Rain then gets in and causes rubbish connectivity.

BT ain't interested in re-cabling the whole area and we've no alternative of cable.

So might be a bit intermittent when I'm on the forum.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Re: Arrrrggg Broadband!

I have a similar problem here. Not sure if it's the same reason mind you. After about a fortnight of daily phone calls to BT re a crossed line, where I could clearly hear one of my neighbours conversations, the BT engineer came out, recognised the problem,found the fault, (a corroded terminal at the exchange) and basically gave me a dedicated line to my house from the exchange. Had no problems with crossed lines since. BT broadband dropping out regularly is another story mind you. Apparently it is common, the rumour being that they want everyone to switch to infinity. I would, if I thought the service would be any better. Oh well.....
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Best of luck with getting it sorted.

Mine used to go off everytime a car went down the street. (I kid you not.)
      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
        All down to the less than satisfactory cabling where I live. When the houses were built the great idea was to use aluminium wire instead of copper. Of course this oxidises and becomes brittle and small fractures occur. Rain then gets in and causes rubbish connectivity.

BT ain't interested in re-cabling the whole area and we've no alternative of cable.

You need to talk to one of the local wronguns (if you have any in you part of the world) convince them that it would be easy for them to nick the cable. BT would then have to recable and they won't use aluminium nowadays.

Sorry to hear of your problems, I once spiked my cable in the front lawn whilst aerating it
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I used to have regular problems with my broadband connection, BTs answer ? "Switching to Infinity will give you a much better connection" Hmm........

Have to admit that since I switched I've had very few problems, shame it's costing more to get what I should have been getting in the first place.
          John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
            I have a similar problem here. Not sure if it's the same reason mind you. After about a fortnight of daily phone calls to BT re a crossed line, where I could clearly hear one of my neighbours conversations, the BT engineer came out, recognised the problem,found the fault, (a corroded terminal at the exchange) and basically gave me a dedicated line to my house from the exchange. Had no problems with crossed lines since. BT broadband dropping out regularly is another story mind you. Apparently it is common, the rumour being that they want everyone to switch to infinity. I would, if I thought the service would be any better. Oh well.....
            If you have an EO line then the chances of you getting infinity are zilch as BT wont switch your line to a cabinet so the only way you'll get fibre is if you can get FTTP which BT wont fund as its not commercially viable
            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Infinity would be great, if only. There are 2 cabinets in our village one very close to where I live (about 150yds away) and has Infinity and the other about 500-600yds away and no Infinity (only one narrow pavement in village at this point and Infinity cab too deep).

Guess which cab I'm connect to? Currently I'm connected to system via spare pair of next doors line, cable to my home duff. Unfortunately the problem seems to be about 300yds from house under main road in village and BT aren't too keen to dig it up.

Funniest bit is that when its bad phone line is so noisy it sounds like someone is frying bacon in the background but when I try to log via the auto system it always reports no problem. So its then 20-30 minute call with call centre, not in UK, going over all the same stuff I've done for last 12 years.

Oh well I'll prepare myself and make the call tomorrow.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
                If you have an EO line then the chances of you getting infinity are zilch as BT wont switch your line to a cabinet so the only way you'll get fibre is if you can get FTTP which BT wont fund as its not commercially viable
                This is true. But, there is talk (and I've seen the surveyor on my street myself) of fibre being installed because Virgin have just upgraded all their lines in the area. The main road to my village (well, pavement actually) was dug up and relaid last year, and I saw new services going in to the hole, but thought it was only street lighting. It may have been a fo cable? I've been inundated with BT junk about changing to infinity lately, so may give them a call to see what is available. All that said, I strongly suspect you are right!!
                Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Well BT bod turned up today and basically confirmed what I already knew that there was a problem and its outside the property (has been an on/off issue for 20 years). Of course couldn't fix and is referred to underground team so stuck on 256k for some time!

So any visits to forum will have to be from work at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by jk224 View Post
                    BTs answer ? "Switching to Infinity will give you a much better connection" Hmm........
                    That would be great if it was a practical proposition. I looked into the possibility but our master phone box is in the hallway on a section of wall where there is no power point and no realistic way of putting one there. There is only one power point in the hall, no way an Infinity box could go where the power point is either, and I wouldn't want to have no power points free in the hall.

Comment

When I had Infinity installed the connection point for it couldn't go where the existing one was, so the installer had to move it at no extra cost to me. There is also only one power point there, so I bought a six way surge protected extension box, which works nicely. All the connections between the infinity box and the equipment connected (Lap top, PC and Blue Ray player) are wireless anyway, so where it is doesn't really matter.
                      John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Some remedial work done by BT over the weekend. Phone line still quite noisy but (thankfully) broadband is back to 12-13meg.

Having speed of 256k makes me wonder how we use to put up with analogue speeds, 14k!!!

Comment

I would of complained to BT and asked for a refund on your bill.
                          You pay £15+ a month line rental and are getting nothing except a poor line.
                          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                            Having speed of 256k makes me wonder how we use to put up with analogue speeds, 14k!!!
                            I still remember the noise the modem used to make when it dialled up! brrrup, ping, ping, ....squelch, white noise. Classic!

Good news you're back to fast speeds... you'll have to upload some photos now!

all the best, Mike.
                            flickr
                            5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

We are spoilt these days ... my first modem was 110 baud. I recall the technical experts assuring me on a visit to PORS Martlesham (now Adastral Park) to talk about X.25/FR/ISDN that 64k was the limit for copper (that's why we consumers had 56k modems) ... how things change.

Comment

Working...
                              X