Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firmware update

Gtreeting from sweltering Andalucia.
    I have possibly two problems with my EOS 600D and need help and advice please. It has suddenly stopped communicating with my laptop (Win 7 64 bit). When I connect it via the usb cable it is not seen by the computer. I suspect I may have a problem with the usb port on the camera body which will mean sending it to a canon repair centre. But . .when I tried connecting to my wife's laptop (Vista) it appeared to be OK. Checking the firmware I noticed that upgrade 1.0.1 corrected an error that occasionally caused the camera not to connect via the usb. Since my laptop wouldn't connect I used my wife's to download the latest update 1.0.2 but when trying to instal the latest firmware I got an error message on the camera saying that the external media could not be read. Which suggests to me that there is some sort of problem with the usb 'system'.
    The Oct/Dec 2012 edition of the magazine describes updating the firmware using a card reader. I don't have a dedicated card reader but the laptop has one. Can I use that reader in the same way as described in the magazine? I don't see why not.

Peter

Re: Firmware update

Think that you have to copy the new firmware to an SD card and install it from there
    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Yes, Alex, I agree but the question is do I need a dedicated stand-alone card reader to do it or can I use the built-in card reader that is probably a standard fit on most laptops?
      Peter

Comment

I updated my 60D using a multi card reader on my pc no problem so I would say that any card reader/writer will work
        Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Cheers, Alex, you've confirmed what i suspected - just wanted to double check with somebody who had done it.

The firmware updated OK but sadly my original problem of the camera not communicating via the usb port still exists so it looks like I will have to send the camera to a Canon repair centre (which appears to be in Madrid but still checking). Unfortunately everything closes down for August in Spain so will have to wait a while.

Many thanks
          Peter

Comment

Are you sure that the problem is with the camera rather than the computer try uninstalling the usb root hubs in device manager and let windows re-detect them and then try connecting your camera or try the camera on another computer( I see you have used your wifes laptop) so I would try removing the usb root hubs in windows device manager
            Alex

Comment

Yes, sitting, thinking and glowering at the computer and camera I came to the conclusion that there must be a simple solution in the computer (for much the same reason as you suggested). I tried the Windows web site and,having fought my way past being told how wonderful Win 8 is, I found the Support section and after a couple of false leads was directed to the Troubleshooter in the Control Page. It scanned , told me that the EOS 600D driver was not working, found a solution aand fixed it. All is now well. it was actually quicker than it has taken to type this!
              On reflection, it must have been working in a degraded form the last time I tried to use the system for astro photography earlier last week because some aspects of Live View weren't correct then but are now

Many thanks for your help Alex

Peter

Comment

I always like to read success stories with technology!!!

Richard
                Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Working...
                X