Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're thinking about going to China ...

Hi all,

Looking for some help. We are thinking of celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, next year, by going on a nice long holiday. Well the children are becoming self sufficient as young adults so "ma and pa" can do this; hopefully from now on!

So has anybody else been there / lived there? What would you recommend to see or avoid?

Here's my ideas so far.

Beijing (Tiananmen Square, Great Wall of China and Forbidden City)
    Xian (Terracotta warriors,)
    Guilin (Li River, Landscapes, Asia towers)
    Kunming (Stone Forest)
    Lijiang (Black Dragon Pool)

We know that this a beautiful country with wonderful picturesque views. We can't wait to point the cameras at the views.

We have heard Wendy Wu travel are quite good.

Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Kind regards and thanks in advance

Graydon
    Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
    EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Re: We're thinking about going to China ...

I cycled through Sichuan and Yannan Provinces in 2008 and was blown away by not only the scenery but also the friendliness of the locals. Maybe a cycle tour wouldn't be ideal but those two Provinces, especially Sichuan, are well worth visiting.

By coincidence I have just loaded around 600 of the 3,000 images I took onto my SmugMug site. A quick skim through might give you some ideas.

Billions of happy photos, millions of passionate customers. Gorgeous online photo albums. Protect your priceless memories. Buy beautiful prints & gifts.

Hope this helps.

Dave
    www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Thanks Dave. Looks like you had a great time. Was that your first trip?

Originally posted by DP the Snapper View Post
      I cycled through Sichuan and Yannan Provinces in 2008 and was blown away by not only the scenery but also the friendliness of the locals. Maybe a cycle tour wouldn't be ideal but those two Provinces, especially Sichuan, are well worth visiting.

By coincidence I have just loaded around 600 of the 3,000 images I took onto my SmugMug site. A quick skim through might give you some ideas.

Billions of happy photos, millions of passionate customers. Gorgeous online photo albums. Protect your priceless memories. Buy beautiful prints & gifts.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Comment

Have a look at the Viking River cruises covers most of what you want plus a cruise down the Yankzee (sic) no connection with them we are just considering going with them on this trip.
        --
        Colin
        http://fotos-espana.com
        http://macameraclub.com
        http://turnspain.com

Comment

I have been to China a number of times on business but each time managed to fit in a weekend sightseeing but only in one of the locations you mention, Beijing.

You can spend a day looking around Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, they are just across the road from each other and I loved going to the Forbidden City as each time I went I saw something different. The Great Wall is also well worth a trip to see, in the Beijing area there are 3 sections that are easy to get to and all are spectacular but can get very busy and depending on the time of year they can either be very hot or very cold.

If in Bejing then also add to the list of places to visit the Temple of Heaven a beautify peaceful park and for the experience go to the silk market where you can buy all the known makes of shirts, jackets, bags etc but at silly prices, some high and some low but be prepared to be lassoed with tape measures by the girls running the stalls. I have found that I could spend a week looking around the sights in Beijing, don't forget to visit their Olymic site which is quite something, or it was when I went there a few years ago.

Have you considered Shanghai as a location to visit as well, it has a number of great parks and the Bund is something else to visit of an evening, it is definitely a city of contrasts with the old China and ultra modern China existing side by side.

if you go do have a great time
          Last edited by Muscat; 19-08-2013, 08:40.

Comment

If you want to see some stunning imagery from China, then look no further than www.peterstewartphotography.com (no relation) His work in china is always stunning and takes my breath away everytime he posts new images.

Would love to see it, however, I'm a big scaredy cat :)
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by jonesgj View Post
              Thanks Dave. Looks like you had a great time. Was that your first trip?
              Sorry for the delay in reply Graydon. I have been trying to get the name of the Chinese Tour Operator we used - am waiting for a reply from the guy who led our Tour.

It was my first trip to China and I was amazed at the reception we received from the people and the lack of bother from the authorities. Although in saying that despite China having a brilliant mobile phone network we couldn't text out while we were in Sichuan - no doubt due to it being a Tibetan Autonomous Province.

When I get the address of the Tour Company I will pass it on.

Dave
              www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Thanks Colin. I'll add it to my list of things to look at.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Have a look at the Viking River cruises covers most of what you want plus a cruise down the Yankzee (sic) no connection with them we are just considering going with them on this trip.

Comment

Thanks Muscat. I'll add those places to the Beijing leg.

With your comment about very hot / very cold, we are trying to go sometime in July - August. Is this a good time to visit?

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                  I have been to China a number of times on business but each time managed to fit in a weekend sightseeing but only in one of the locations you mention, Beijing.

You can spend a day looking around Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, they are just across the road from each other and I loved going to the Forbidden City as each time I went I saw something different. The Great Wall is also well worth a trip to see, in the Beijing area there are 3 sections that are easy to get to and all are spectacular but can get very busy and depending on the time of year they can either be very hot or very cold.

If in Bejing then also add to the list of places to visit the Temple of Heaven a beautify peaceful park and for the experience go to the silk market where you can buy all the known makes of shirts, jackets, bags etc but at silly prices, some high and some low but be prepared to be lassoed with tape measures by the girls running the stalls. I have found that I could spend a week looking around the sights in Beijing, don't forget to visit their Olymic site which is quite something, or it was when I went there a few years ago.

Have you considered Shanghai as a location to visit as well, it has a number of great parks and the Bund is something else to visit of an evening, it is definitely a city of contrasts with the old China and ultra modern China existing side by side.

if you go do have a great time

Comment

Thanks Dave, Sorry I didn't mean to cause you any inconvenience, but much appreciated. I have just started riding again and am not very fit so I think we will be pedestrians next year :)

Sorry for the delay in reply Graydon. I have been trying to get the name of the Chinese Tour Operator we used - am waiting for a reply from the guy who led our Tour.

It was my first trip to China and I was amazed at the reception we received from the people and the lack of bother from the authorities. Although in saying that despite China having a brilliant mobile phone network we couldn't text out while we were in Sichuan - no doubt due to it being a Tibetan Autonomous Province.

When I get the address of the Tour Company I will pass it on.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by jonesgj View Post
                      Thanks Dave, Sorry I didn't mean to cause you any inconvenience, but much appreciated. :)
                      No inconvenience at all Graydon. The address of the Company Peter used is:

Tang Dynasty Travel
                      Guilin

Incoming Tour Operator & Travel Agency in China, as your partner, to boost your product variety & uniqueness in Leisure, Adventure, Student, MICE ... group tour packages & tailor-made FIT tours.

He highly recommends them.

'I have just started riding again and am not very fit so I think we will be pedestrians next year'

Maybe you could hire a rickshaw and share the 'driving' with your wife - it would be even more of an anniversary to remember then

Good luck with your researching etc.

Dave
                      www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Wife went a few years ago [just before it became 'changed'] using Travelsphere ... with trips to the Wall, Warriors, The Square, etc and Harbin (Ice Festival). She's used Travelsphere quite a few times so they must be good.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, my holiday got in the way of responding, if you go to Beijing in July or August it can get quite hot particularly if you go to the Great Wall, I was there about 3 years ago in August and it was pushing 30C and above but I have been there previously around the same time and it was mid 20's.

Comment

Maybe you could hire a rickshaw and share the 'driving' with your wife - it would be even more of an anniversary to remember then
                            Or Maybe not :)

Thanks Dave

Comment

Thanks Muscat. Thats good to know.

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                              Sorry for the delay, my holiday got in the way of responding, if you go to Beijing in July or August it can get quite hot particularly if you go to the Great Wall, I was there about 3 years ago in August and it was pushing 30C and above but I have been there previously around the same time and it was mid 20's.

Comment

Working...
                              X