There are good forums, and then there are not so good forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are good forums, and then there are not so good forums

Yesterday, I registered with another photography forum, which not being dedicated to us Canon users, has a more diverse content than this one.

Early impressions were quite favourable (you have to register to see what it has to offer). However, having dug a little deeper, all is not what it seems.

Although there is some excellent content, there is also a element of people that clearly want be contentious, and cause what started out as a sensible 'thread', to become very tetchy, and a bit of a 'points scoring' exercise seems to result.

Also, the 'off topic' area of the forum, does little to promote the image of an attractive photography forum.

I should add that I have not been involved in any of these 'threads', other than as a passive reader.

Coming back over here, makes this forum seem quite civilised and sensible by comparison.

Not wishing to start any 'forum wars', the other forum shall of course remain nameless.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_S; 25-08-2013, 16:58.
    Dave

Re: There are good forums, and then there are not so good forums

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
    this forum seems quite civilised and sensible by comparison.
    Dave
    I bet there are thousands out there that are'nt like this one ....
    [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

I'm a member of a number of different-themed forums and this is by far the politest of them all.

The others all have "off-topic" general-chat areas (equivalent to the EOS-Pub area) that are always lively and often contentious. In all those cases, the moderators are very good at stopping things getting out of hand. I quite like some of the lively debates that go on, some specifically avoid subjects such as politics and religion, others allow these but moderate them well, IMO.

This forum is, by far, the most strictly moderated of the ones I inhabit - sometimes overly-so, IMO.

For example, I've seen some posts about non-Canon cameras moderated even in the General Photo Discussions area, which, IMO is a bit harsh.

That said, I still think there is a good community feel to this forum.

Comment

Can't agree more with this being one of the nicest forums out there. The m43 forum I hang-out in can be a bear-pit...

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
          Can't agree more with this being one of the nicest forums out there.
          Absolutely right
          The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
            For example, I've seen some posts about non-Canon cameras moderated even in the General Photo Discussions area....
            No you haven't. The thread in question was titled 'Non-Canon compacts' and I posted the comment, "There are plenty of other forums available for the discussion of non-Canon cameras. Let's keep this forum special."

However, I did not edit or delete any of the posts in the thread.
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I used to like the Bear-Pit Forums.

Most of the opinionated and points scorers weren't quite as knowledgable as they thought they were and only if they really deserved it, I would very politely suggest they may have been confused over a given point.

Quite good fun using knowledge and facts against opinions.
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                No you haven't. The thread in question was titled 'Non-Canon compacts' and I posted the comment, "There are plenty of other forums available for the discussion of non-Canon cameras. Let's keep this forum special."

I didn't say that you had edited or deleted any posts. However, the very fact that you have discouraged any discussion of non-Canon cameras in the area that is "This is the place to talk about anything photographic not covered by the categories below.", i.e. Canon cameras, merely illustrates my point.

Comment

I go on one forum which regularly descends into mud slinging to such an extent that the original point is often forgotten and the moderators are forced to close the thread before the question has been resolved properly. I much prefer this forum, where even when people disagree they do so sensibly.
                  John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Yep, having now read further, it is most definitely a 'bear pit', 'barrack room lawyers' abound, and its a hive of both opinionated and disagreeable people.

Shame really, because there are a lot of nice people on there, producing some excellent results, and trying to stimulate sensible discussion.

Unfortunately, they are overshadowed by 'the other group', that seem more interested in contentious debate, than photography.

I guess I will be leaving them to it.

Dave
                    Dave

Comment

deleted
                      Last edited by NickM; 11-07-2014, 01:01.
                      I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post

As it was me, I think, that started that thread, or at least got it abruptly stopped I'd just like to add my tuppence worth.

It is because this is a polite, well managed - though generally not needed, forum that I posed the question. There are a lot of vastly experienced members here and I wanted to try and tap into that font of knowledge with regards a non-Canon compact. I felt it didn't really hurt or detract from the main Canon theme given it's place. That said, Robert ruled on it and I accepted his decision without further comment.
                        TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I do have to say I tend not to recommend this forum publicly in some forums I go on, as I wouldn't want some of the people here... Don't know if that's a good or bad thing...

Comment

From what I've seen over the past couple of days, some people are best left where they are.

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

I rather like the civil atmosphere here.

Can't be bothered with "agitated forums" I have enough grief and problems in life. Can do with out it online.
                              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X