Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 40D to 7D or 70D?

Originally posted by crunch View Post
    After a visit to my local pro shop, I am now the proud owner of a 7D.

I initially went in to purchase a 70D but the man in the shop steered me away from the 70D and said that an upgraded 7D was a much better buy.

The 7D just feels great and is plenty of camera for me. I just need the time to go and play
    I am sure you'll be pleased with it, hope you enjoy the learning process and getting to grips with it.
    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by jk224 View Post
      There seems to be a lot said about the build quality of the 70D against the 7D, and I have to be honest that although the 60D, when it came out. was the first camera that made me tempted to upgrade my 30D, but the only thing that put me off was the 'plastic' body. Having now owned the 70D for a couple of weeks I have to say I hardly notice the difference in materials, and are there any 60D owners out there whose cameras have just dropped to bits ?
      My 60D has been to Iceland and all over the UK so far. Also used everyday and perfectly fine. Think the plastic vs. metal thing is bit of a non issue, seen the same discussion re mobile phone and I've owned phones that were slated due to 'plastic construction'. After 2-3 years these phones are still working fine and show little signs of wear or tear.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Regarding the lack of swivel screen being a potential hinderance for some landscape shots there are remote apps available that connect to your camera via usb and allow you to see the live view and control the shutter on your smartphone or tablet. This works with the 60d so I would expect the same is true of the 7d.
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Also, some car manufacturers use "non-metalic" materials for saving weight; some "plastics" or whatever are actually tougher than metal.
          I hardly notice any difference between my 5D Mk II and 60D. I could have bought the 7D when I bought the 60D but didn't need the extra features of the 7D. Likewise, I'd still love a 70D! I think picture quality would be better with the newer sensor and Digic 5+

Comment

In my opinion the 70D is a better move than the 7D. Having had both I feel the newer technology in the 70D pushes it onwards.

Certainly I believe the pictures at high iso are streets ahead - along with many other new features. The only benefit of the 7D would appear to new the higher frame rate - and that is only marginal.
            ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
              In my opinion the 70D is a better move than the 7D. Having had both I feel the newer technology in the 70D pushes it onwards.

Certainly I believe the pictures at high iso are streets ahead - along with many other new features. The only benefit of the 7D would appear to new the higher frame rate - and that is only marginal.
              I have to agree Brian, the 70D, if buying new is the obvious choice against a new 7D, in fact I couldn't imaging any reason to contemplate a new 7D at this time. A second-hand 7D is still likely to be a bargain and capable camera though.
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
                I have to agree Brian, the 70D, if buying new is the obvious choice against a new 7D, in fact I couldn't imaging any reason to contemplate a new 7D at this time. A second-hand 7D is still likely to be a bargain and capable camera though.
                I wonder whether in 3 years a new 70D will have depreciated as much as a second hand 7D. Give is a few months and the new price of the 70D will be down to about £900, in which the 70D should be the cheaper, and better option than a used 7D
                ef-r

Comment

I see the 70D more of a cut down 7D than a 60D upgrade.
                  1fps less and almost the same AF of the 7D + the new sensor etc etc will make this camera a winner in my book

Mike
                  www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

I think one major benefit of the 70D overt the 7D is the quality of the picture, especially with high iso. Plus off course the more obvious 20mp over the 18mp.

As also a perfidious owned of a 7D I found the high iso limitations of the 7D to be really limiting
                    Last edited by briansquibb; 25-09-2013, 21:50.
                    ef-r

Comment

Working...
                    X