Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must-see Photos from the past

Some of these are awesome.....

These 40 photographs all tell stories about the historical figures or events that they represent. Once taken simply to document their present, they now help us witness the past. From historical landmarks and famous people to the basic daily routines of the past, these pictures portray the past in a way that we can empathize with and understand more intimately.

Re: Must-see Photos from the past

Those are cool, thanks for sharing the link

Tom

Comment

I love the last one in Sweden, but all good images,

Chris
      Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery - Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Great images, thanks for sharing.

Doug.
        Cameras... 7D, 350D
        Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
        Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

A brilliant and thought provoking set of photographs
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Cool ....
            [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Some amazing stuff, but one I'm not happy about being there...

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                Some amazing stuff, but one I'm not happy about being there...
                A number don't make "easy" viewing - the guy pouring acid into the swimming pool, for example, but that's reportage for you I guess.

Comment

Fascinating stuff.

Some of them are 'difficult', but that's the past for you. As someone who's not happy with heights, the one with the baby in the cage is frightening !
                  John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

These are amazing shots. Again. some make for very uncomfortable viewing, but, I'd like to think we've moved on from there. Thanks for the great link,

Garry
                    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

I was unhappy with the suicide one, BTW... I'm fine with the rest and some are really good images.

Comment

I'm actually rather sad at the suicide one. What a tragic waste of a young life.
                        The acid pourer and the baby in the cage ones are frightening, but so they should be.
                        I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Thought provoking. Thank you for sharing the link.

I wonder how they would have been processed in to days age.
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Regarding the photo of the suicide, the coroner in tonights episode of CSI:NY was discussing this photo with a colleague, apparently it "fascinated" everyone at the time, the young lady jumped from the observation platform of the Empire State building, and what fascinated people was that she was a beautiful young girl and was clutching the string of pearls around her neck and looked so peaceful in death. She became known at the time as "the Most Beautiful Suicide". Sad.
                            John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

I read this coming off a daily mail article on images of the Vietnam War. I must say, nothing I've seen to date in the digital world has really come close to the sheer drama of pictures of the past.

Suddenly that snap of George Michael having lunch or Lady Gaga falling down stairs appears to fade into nonsense compared to these images. We think we live in a conflicting world now, I guess it nothing to pouring acid into a pool of black people as if its nothing, or hanging your baby out in a make shift cage.
                              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                              X