Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Canon (UK) prevent dealers from competing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Canon (UK) prevent dealers from competing?

Those of you that have read my 'thread' 7D v 5D Mkll

Will know that I am thinking of buying a 5D Mklll, and as such, I have been looking at UK dealer prices, and the one thing that 'sticks out like a sore thumb', is that the price is identical, where ever.

Does this mean that the price that UK dealers can charge is fixed by Canon (UK), and that dealers are not allowed to set their own price, and as such be competitive. In other words, plain and simple 'Price Fixing' by Canon (UK).

Looking at four of the biggest retailers websites, the price is £2329, and not a penny difference between them.

While I would be very reluctant to buy a 'Grey Import' 5D, even though the saving can be as much as £430, I did buy my 24-105L from HDEW, and saved £230. In a few weeks time, this will be 12 months old, and assuming its still working, it becomes a genuine saving.

Dave
    Dave

Re: Do Canon (UK) prevent dealers from competing?

Don't know about how Canon EU interacts with Canon UK and ultimately it's channels to the consumer. Anyway check here every day ... http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/C...-Mark-III-Body and wait for the pack to break so to speak.

Comment

An interesting 'link'

£3239 does seem to feature significantly in that list, with one dealer charging £3589 (no chance!!!).

Pixmania is I believe based in France, but part of the Dixons empire.

Is it perhaps that Canon (UK), suggest an RRP, and its big UK dealers that have some sort of price fixing agreement, not to undercut each other?.

Whatever it is, it doesn't smell good.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

Found £2289 on one UK site but as you say most are £2329 some even higher.
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Dave - seriously try Ian at flash camera HERE I have used him for several items and highly recommend him - I have even supplied Canon with the reciept details to get my cashback with no problems at all and it's more than a 'little' saving.

.DAVID.
          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
            Dave - seriously try Ian at flash camera HERE I have used him for several items and highly recommend him - I have even supplied Canon with the reciept details to get my cashback with no problems at all and it's more than a 'little' saving.

.DAVID.
            I would agree with David - fair prices-great service and delivery....and best of all...you know where he lives should you have a problem...if you know what I mean

Comment

The 5D3 is currently £1856.00 at Panamoz (http://panamoz.com/index.php/digital...body-only.html). I bought my 5D3 from them about 6 months ago. I have been using this company for three years and have no problems, in fact I have found their service to be superb. The even give a further 5% discount if you purchase using bank transfer, which I elected to do and at the time got my 5D3 for £1760.00. The are Hong Kong based, but do had a office in the UK (Brighton).

Ian
              Last edited by Coryman; 07-10-2013, 18:13. Reason: Typo
              Ian

Comment

That is indeed a saving David, and from your own experience when claiming 'cash back', it is genuine UK stock.

Of course, as you will be aware, if you've read my other 'thread', I'm awaiting the funds from the sale of my boat, with the 5D being a cheer me up item, when I say goodbye to 'her'.

Dave
                Dave

Comment

Ian, that is a mega saving, but of course it does carry a risk element, should the camera experience problems within the first year, as Canon (UK) would not want to know.

I was happy to risk the cost of the 24-105L, as a grey import, but doing the same with £1856 would leave me feeling a bit uncomfortable for a year.

I been using Canon gear for over 50 years, and have never had a problem with any of it, but there's always the first time.

I buy an new car every three years, and have done for the past 25 years. Any problems experienced, were always in the first year, with none in the following two years.

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

Dave S. You've hit the nail on the head there; as you say "......never had a problem with any of it. " I can say the same having used Canon since the early 1970s. If you treat it with the care and respect that it deserves it should last a long, long time.

Comment

Dave,

1. Your lens (24-105) is covered by Canon's world-wide warranty - camera bodies have national/regional warranties.
                      2. If buying from Flash Camera you are buying 'grey'. Ian's supplies are of US source.
                      3. Ian lives in Maryland, USA - his sister lives in Scotland.
                      4. I was refused Canon Cashback earlier this year on a 6D from Kerso.

The above is not intended as negative towards Flash Camera, I have bought extensively from Ian in the past and I will continue to do so in the future.
                      Bob Turner
                      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Thanks for that Bob, that is very useful information, and explains the warranty situation nicely.

So, based on that, then buying Canon lenses from the likes of HDEW, who are based in the UK, carries no risk in terms the Canon warranty.

However, assuming that I had experienced a problem with the 24-105L, who would I have approached to get it sorted under warranty?

I could be wrong, but I suspect Canon (UK), would tell me to go away, if I approached them.

Dave
                        Dave

Comment

Dave, they have a straight forward replacement policy and with my last two items they gave me a three year warranty.

I know it is always a hard decision the first time one deals with this type of company, but I have been very happy with all my purchases from them.

Ian
                          Ian

Comment

As I said Ian, I have only dealt with them once so far, but absolutely no complaints.

Also, 5D Mklll apart, if what Bob is saying regards Canon lenses and their World Wide Warranty, is as 'bomb proof' as it sounds, then I will be buying all my Canon lenses from them in future, and saving a 'packet'.

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

Just checked on hdew's website, and they are offering the 5D Mklll for £1925, plus a 3 year warranty.

That's £404 less than the High Street price, and a warranty that's two years longer than Canon (UK) offer.

I remember when I bought the 24-105L from them, I asked about repairs under warranty, and they told me that these were undertaken by a Canon approved repairer in Scotland.

Pro-Camera in Cumbria, a similar setup to hdew, use a Canon approved repairer in Colchester, which is just 20 mins drive away for me.

However, of course a warranty might only be worth the paper its written on, although your experience with hdew has been fine in this respect.

Dave
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X