Playing with some ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing with some ideas

Do you think these work? What should I do different??? Both the underlying photographs have been posted elsewhere on the Forum:

A rose is a rose is a rose by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

A rose is a rose is a rose v2 by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

Nightrider by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

Comments and suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks for looking

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Re: Playing with some ideas

Nice idea Richard, but a bit too distracting for me. With that said, I do think that the concrete works well with the 3rd image

Tom

Comment

A bit too wierd for me .... Sorry Richard.

Its a good job we dont all see things the same way.
      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

I think with a triptych you either need to have 3 distict photos with a theme or one photo that you divide into three

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Originally posted by wayne2418 View Post
          A bit too weird for me .... Sorry Richard.

Its a good job we dont all see things the same way.
          Agreed Wayne! Diversity is the spice of life. But also worth experimenting even if you then discard. Actually I am perfectly happy that people do not like this stuff, because any feedback is better than none!

Tom, I know what you mean about somewhat distracting. That was one of the issues I was hoping to get some feedback on!

Stan, not sure that I have read the book of rules that says what you can or cannot have in a triptych, but then I have not had any formal training so that is no surpirse! As it happens they are all based on one photograph each, just an attempt to have a ripple of ideas from within the same photograph. I tried three different photographs and found it massively confusing, especially in the context of getting them into a 3x2 format.

Thanks very much for the feedback. Any more comments gratefully recevied!

Richard

Comment

I'm not convinced by it but fwiw I think the bus works better than the rose.
            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

How about this one then...

Triptych Ghost Train-9.jpg by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

Trying to get it better!

Richard

Comment

An interesting idea. Even if you use three different photos of the same subject you could just crop into the format to fit. Think I might have to have a play at this.

And if its any help... I like number one, not sure about number two, simply because the two images on the right of my screen look like they should join up with the green leaves and dont. I prefer the un-matched feel of the other. Making them three separate images. Not sure at all about the train. But then again, what do I know, feel free to ignore.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Richard, my own thoughts on each, for what they are worth:
                  1st Rose: I think the left hand and central panels work, but the right hand one sits oddly as I feel it should match the left by being that end of the flower enlarged and separated but instead it is a detail from the centre.
                  2nd Rose: Works better than the 1st, only spoilt for me by the green stalks seemingly wanting to line up but they don't. Just shifting them a fraction should help I think.
                  Bus: I think the problem for me is that there are too many verticals in the image, so it takes a while to pick out the triptych aspect. I also don't think it adds anything to the original image (which I remember liking).
                  Train: Really really like this one. The fact that they are different images all depicting the same part of the train moving across the crossing means there is a point to it all. And the contrast of the blurred horizontal lines work well with the vertical framing.
                  Overall, an interesting and thought provoking set of images. Makes me want to try a few myself, so thanks for the inspiration.
                  Canon EOS 7D
                  EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                  Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                  flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I quite like them ,I only wish I had half the skills as you have to pull it off

Comment

I have half the skills. Sadly, I'm still looking for the other half......
                      I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                        Overall, an interesting and thought provoking set of images. Makes me want to try a few myself, so thanks for the inspiration.
                        I look forward to seeing them Alex! Thanks for the comments.

Thanks also Wayne and Di, and as for Dave and Nick, all I can say is it is worth a go! There is nothing complicated in what I have done which is to take three slices of one or three photographs and put them together in LR!

Cheers all

Richard

Comment

for the train.... and I am saying no more on this subject... .. may "the battle" commence....
                          David

Comment

Unfortunately the judge at the competition didn't think much of them either! I entered no 2 and no 3 (I came up with the train too late!!!) Still we had an opportunity to also submit two projected images and one of those ended up as the overall winner of the competition. So I was chuffed with that! An older one of Albert Dock that I have posted elsewhere on this forum.

Best

Richard

Comment

Well done Richard.

Doug.
                              Cameras... 7D, 350D
                              Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
                              Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Working...
                              X