Best place to buy a 6D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best place to buy a 6D

In the next week or so i'm looking to purchase a 6D , i was thinking of somewhere local (Newcastle) but Jessops only offer a 1 year Guarantee , John Lewis and PC World are slightly better at a 2 year Guarantee but they are all at what seems full price (£1475) .
    On the internet things are slightly better , At Wexphoto the price is the same but you get the Software package (i've already got LR5 and E10) and the chance to get the Battery grip for £29 (last week were they incl a free ipad mini?) .
    I have seen the HDEW price (£200 less with the same Software and a 3 year Guarantee) but i'm a bit put off with the is it or isn't it a UK guarantee talk on various threads on this forum .

Are there any other deals i've missed or should i just play safe and go local ?

Cheers
    Gordon
    Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Re: Best place to buy a 6D

The only one that I can think of is Flash Cameras http://www.flashcamera.co.uk/canon-e...l-camera-body/ at £1,249

Comment

I have purchased from HDEW, the service was good, and it came with a proper VAT receipt, including their VAT Reg No.

For warranty purposes, the camera would have go to a Canon approved repairer in Scotland (A.J.Johnstone in Glasgow), if purchased from HDEW.

That said, Canon gear being as reliable as it historically is, the chances of your having to use the warranty is hopefully pretty slim.

As Canon only provide a 1 year warranty anyway, after 12 months, you would be in the same position with a Canon UK stock camera, as you would be with a 'grey import', except you will have saved money.

HDEW offer a 3 year warranty.

Dave
      Last edited by Dave_S; 13-11-2013, 23:25.
      Dave

Comment

Panamoz - £1040.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
          I have purchased from HDEW, the service was good, and it came with a proper VAT receipt, including their VAT Reg No.

For warranty purposes, the camera would have go to a Canon approved repairer in Scotland (A.J.Johnstone in Glasgow), if purchased from HDEW.

That said, Canon gear being as reliable as it historically is, the chances of your having to use the warranty is hopefully pretty slim.

As Canon only provide a 1 year warranty anyway, after 12 months, you would be in the same position with a Canon UK stock camera, as you would be with a 'grey import', except you will have saved money.

HDEW offer a 3 year warranty.

Dave
          Ditto from me.
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Re warranties this is interesting read
            A little-known EU directive is giving shoppers extra ammunition to return faulty goods, despite the obstacles put up by retailers
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

You may be able to get a 6D as B-Stock through an official Canon 'Pro Dealer' outlet for under £1100.

B-Stock is ex-display or Canon refurbished stock. This will have been fully checked and tested by Canon UK and carries a full manufactures 12 month guarantee.

Comment

I would be more than happy to use HDEW camera, so far no issues and you can speak to some humans if have any doubts.
                Raj
                Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by rajjayaraj View Post
                  I would be more than happy to use HDEW camera, so far no issues and you can speak to some humans if have any doubts.
                  Exactly, that's what I like about hdew. Their customer service is excellent.
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

+1 for Flash Camera from me. Do a Google for 'Kerso'

i bought my 6D+Grip from Ian earlier thus year and I was delighted, as usual
                    Bob Turner
                    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

If you're after the best deal on just the camera, then SimplyElectronics offer a 6D body at £1,003 which is the best price I've seen since the Canon cashback's ceased at the end of October.

As for the warranty - the choice is yours, pay more and get a UK warranty, pay less and get a third-party warranty.
                      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon_H View Post
                        In the next week or so i'm looking to purchase a 6D , i was thinking of somewhere local (Newcastle) but Jessops only offer a 1 year Guarantee , John Lewis and PC World are slightly better at a 2 year Guarantee but they are all at what seems full price (£1475) .
                        On the internet things are slightly better , At Wexphoto the price is the same but you get the Software package (i've already got LR5 and E10) and the chance to get the Battery grip for £29 (last week were they incl a free ipad mini?) .
                        I have seen the HDEW price (£200 less with the same Software and a 3 year Guarantee) but i'm a bit put off with the is it or isn't it a UK guarantee talk on various threads on this forum .

Are there any other deals i've missed or should i just play safe and go local ?

Cheers
                        Gordon
                        Wherever you get it from - enjoy it. I've had mine for a 3 weeks and it is just amazing.
                        I went to London Camera Exchange in Nottingham who were matching the offer applicable at that time from a number of sources. What swung it for me was a good trade in offer for my 40D c/w 17-85 & the excellent customer service they have provided to me for a number of years.

Bob
                        Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Many Thanks for everyone's comments , going off Daves recommendation i think i will go for getting it from HDEW .
                          Cheers
                          Gordon
                          Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S

Comment

Well i took the plunge and bought the 6D from HDEW during the week , Rang them up on Wednesday to see if they had one in stock and see if they would do a Saturday delivery . Yes and Yes but it would cost me another Tenner for Sat Delivery via Royal Mail (which i didn't mind) , i would get another e-mail when it was dispatched . I did get an e-mail on Friday when it was dispatched and maybe alarm bells should have rung as it went on about delivery Mon -Fri before 12pm but i just thought it was a "Standard" one . At 6.15pm on Friday i was surprised to get an E-mail from UKMail about the delivery and fuming when i saw it would be here before 12pm on Monday ! All i could do was Leave a message on the answer phone as the shop was shut by then telling them to ring me first thing today .
                            I eventually got them just after 10am this morning , the lad sounded confused , you got a delivery this morning that was due on Monday ? NO ! After a long winded conversation about paying extra for Sat delivery and not getting it , eventually getting a sort of apology and the promise of a refund of the full postage . He said he'd ring the Couriers to say i was coming to collect it , whether he had who knows as the couriers were confused when i asked for the parcel (which involved a dash across Newcastle to Gateshead to try and get there before they shut) , i eventually managed to get my hands on the parcel !

I know a lot of you are going to say "I never had any bother with HDEW" but this was my first time using them , probably my last , and i certainly won't be recommending them to anyone , their service has left a lot to be desired in my eyes......

P.S. I'll let you know what the cameras like when i've had a chance to use it.......
                            Last edited by Gordon_H; 23-11-2013, 18:03.

Comment

The quote of "Royal Mail". who do deliver on a Saturday, and then "UK Mail", who do not mention Saturday, would have had me wondering as well.
                              Bob Turner
                              Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Working...
                              X