Apologies, but it's that time of year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies, but it's that time of year!

Firstly a major apology - it's not a Canon question!

My son has been bitten by the camera bug and he has a Sony A37. He's producing some pretty good images, and really enjoying the hobby. He has the 18-55 kit lens and a 100-300mm lens. I've got him an external flash for xmas. He has a few filters, but would probably like more.

Our family has a fairly strict uncle and aunty £20 limit for presents - and they are wondering if there is anything he could realistically get for that kind of price? I've been to our local independent camera shop - they've had some ideas, but I wonder if there is anything from you lot?

V.

Re: Apologies, but it's that time of year!

Hello Vidal,

I don't think for a strict limit of £20 for presents, you can get a decent DSLR- I note that he has the 18-55mm & the 100-300mm lenses. Perhaps he has to think of his next year's birthday for a DSLR. I may be wrong and other members might think differently.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Have you considered Photoshop Elements, you can get earlier versions of the software for around £20, failing that something like Photoshop Elements for Dummies (or suchlike), most of these kind of books retail for less than £20.
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

How about entrance tickets to a zoo or bird of prey display to practice his technique? Or instead of actually spending money, a 'voucher' for a day in the future taking him into the hills to get some landscapes?
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Basic camera bag, filter case, extra memory cards, a pop up still life tent?

But I do like the idea of some entrance tickets. Allow him to make some memories in 2014.
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

Fantastic guys - I had never thought about entrance to zoos, etc - and he lives close enough to the hills for a day's walking to be a regular occurrence.

Many, many thanks.

V.

Comment

I think Alex has made a great suggestion there. Practice is what makes the photographer. not equipment!
              Garry Macdonald on Flickr
              Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

A book:

Perhaps plus a Giottos Rocket Air:

BTW Photoshop Elements 11 is a good choice for software, last year (when it was the current version) I paid £20 for it in an Amazon Lightning Black Friday deal (and gave it as a present) - so worth a look this year...
                Lightroom 5 would also be good if a deal appears.

Comment

What they should do,is get a gift card from the camera shop, then after Christmas, he can go and pick out what he wants or needs.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                    What they should do,is get a gift card from the camera shop, then after Christmas, he can go and pick out what he wants or needs.

Tom
                    This is what my mate's family gave him last Christmas to the value of £240.
                    When he went to spend the money, the shop had gone into administration and he got zilch.

Much safer if the family each gives him a nice crisp £20 note in a card then he can buy what he wants from where he wants.

Mike
                    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

How about an extension tube set.

Comment

Originally posted by vidal View Post
                        Fantastic guys - I had never thought about entrance to zoos, etc - and he lives close enough to the hills for a day's walking to be a regular occurrence.
                        Sounds like a good idea to me ..
                        [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Working...
                        X