Advice required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice required.

Paul - do those three services add up to much money over the year?

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
      Paul - do those three services add up to much money over the year?
      Nope absolutely none. Crowdsourcing via twitter, fb and the like has taken over. Big news agencies like Getty, Reuters and SNS Group (locally) storm in, take over and have the clout to get their work out there.

The wee guys at the bottom like me, who get to locations earlier than these guys end up with some pics, that I fire up to Demotix, but it's always under a tenner for each pic. I've made £31 from the 19 news stories I've created. Of course the agencies take their cut and you never see what the image sold for in the first place.

The problem with selling pics, is that there's always someone else who will give them away for free buying into the whole "I'm famous for being in the paper" ideal. A lot of folk get into photography thinking they are going to be raking it in and they'll have a 1Dx within months of going live, but it's so far from the truth that it's enough to crumble you.

Unless you have a really niche market, or hit that story no one can cover quickly enough, then you're battling against the big boys or the iphoneographers who are at the scene.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Nat,
        Instead of getting involved with tax & insurance & the rest as a "professional", have you considered asking buyers to make a donation to the Cathedral or the choir that you support? You should perhaps also charge for quantifiable direct expenses such as the cost of printing or travel. And of course always retain your copyright of the image.
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Thanks folk for all your good advice. No! I am not going to be a professional photographer as it takes away from my enjoying photography as a nice hobby. I will only take pics if and when I am requested to do so and depending on the client, I might ask for a payment of say £25-£50 for say 50 pics ,at the most ,put on a disc. Having said that I was talking to a recently married lady who said that the wedding photographer at her wedding charged £1000 for 4 discs of 175 pictures on each disc- 175 in colour,175 in B&W,175 in sepia, & 175 in something else (I think she said monochrome!).
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Have a look at the NUJ site for an idea of what to charge.

I'm still living in hope!

Comment

Originally posted by Ems View Post
              Have a look at the NUJ site for an idea of what to charge.

I'm still living in hope!
              Excellent link Ems!
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Agree with Steve above. Excellent link Ems and thank you.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Maybe I need to stop submitting to agencies if this is what the papers are paying. I smell a rat.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

Hope the rat smells of £'s signs for you Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      Hope the rat smells of £'s signs for you Paul.
                      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

I don't really trust agencies although I have had some photos published using them. My best payday was for three photos in the Sun for which they paid £900. If I'd gone through an agency they'd have taken 50%. A couple of other dailies were going to run the story the following day but the tsunami in Thailand happened. The pictures were of a postman being attacked by a pheasant.

Comment

Do you still have the pet pheasant :)
                          Andy
                          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                          [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Advice required.

No. I ate it several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ems View Post
                              No. I ate it several years ago.
                              Roasted,curried,boiled or raw?? However it was cooked did it taste good?

Comment

I'm trying to resist making pheasant plucker jokes. Actually it turned up on queue. As soon as the postman arrived the bird landed on the road alongside the van then followed it along the road. It attacked the postman when he tried to get the mail from the postbox. Apparently it used to do it everyday.

Comment

Working...
                                X