To border or not to border, that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that opinions are split as to whether bordering is good or evil. Normally I do not bother because either I am showing photographs on line, on screen or they are mounted for competitions. But just occasionally, I think a good border could help. It is just that I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to do it, despite having PS and LR etc etc. It just has not come up on my radar screen as a need. Before I delve into the amazing information available on the internet, I thought I would ask for your thoughts as to whether this photograph would benefit form a border (it definitely looks best on a black background) or whether I should drop the idea:

White Rose by RCARCARCA, on Flickr

EXIF: 5Diii, 100 L, ISO800, 1/125sec at f10.0

If you do think it would benefit, could you point me at what you think is the best set of instructions?!?!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Re: To border or not to border, that is the question

I'm not a fan of borders normally but that is one cracking shot Richard. It possibly needs a bit more breathing space on the sides and I understand you can do this by adding more canvas but I think a border would maybe distract your attention away from the amazing detail this image has in spades.
    Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
      I know that opinions are split as to whether bordering is good or evil.
      Personally I think borders on images are unnecessary and I've yet to see an image I felt was improved with a border.
      If it's mounted for display then that adds the border, but for the images I just find it odd.

Only my personal opinion though.
      Andy

Comment

Like it the way it is w/o boarder

Tom

Comment

Thanks Scott, Andy and Tom. The case against borders is well made and is winning the vote!!!

I agree Scott that it could do with a bit more canvass. I will explore that, but will have to do some clever cloning to keep the stem in place!

Richard

Comment

Just as it is for me too Richard.

Nice shot

Dave
            Dave

Comment

I sometimes add a very fine black line border which I think tidies up the whole thing. But obviously not when the image is black! In CS5 I just drag the Background layer to the bottom of the layers palette to make a new background layer. Then go into Edit, Stroke which will bring a dialogue about size and colour - I usually choose black at about 3 pixels -, choose Centre click on OK and it's done. Very easy to undo and fiddle around with the thickness, and/or colour.
              Di

Comment

Richard this image doesn't need a border as every edge is black, therefore when it's viewed on a web page as here; the image cannot become lost in the page colour IYSWIM.

Had the image had predominately white edges it then has the potential to become lost in the web page colour.

The following is how I add a border to my images that I post online. As with all software packages there are many ways to skin a cat, so there are other methods but I have this set as an action in CS5.

1. Post processing in LR.
                2. Passed for edit in CS5 (Ctrl E on a Win PC)
                3. Resize image, say 1000px on the longest edge.
                4. Image canvas size add 2 pixels to each edge using white as the colour of the canvas.
                5. Repeat "4" adding four pixels to each edge using black as the canvas colour.
                6. Image resize making the image return to the 1000px on the longest edge.
                7. My copyright signature is then added using a brush preset.
                8. Smart sharpen the image just a smidgen.
                9. Save image for web and devices, making sure that the image is below 500kb as one forum I occasionally post on has this as a size limit.

IHTH
                Last edited by ST-EOS; 26-05-2014, 16:58.
                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Here is an attempt at a border...

I think it depends whether it is going to sit on a white or black screen!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Dave, Di and Peter.

I tried Peter's approach above. I will try Di's tomorrow!

Cheers

Richard

Comment

Working...
                    X