Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

printing large scale, 3 mts square

Hi all
    It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything, but I have quandary?
    I’ve been taking photos for a charity, and they have asked me for some of the shots that I have taken for them to be used on the side of a gazebo that they will be using for forthcoming shows.
    After sending them the photos via email (jpeg) the printing firm say that they are borderline quality to be printed out at 3mts sq and they want a higher res image. Now all the photos I have are RAW format and I can send them TIFF, PSD, DNG or the original RAW files. The average size TIFF file would be 50+ meg.
    I’m not dealing direct with the printers sadly, so I don’t know what’s best for them, are any of you out there that could point me in the right direction please, also my colour space is sRGB and i’m saving files at 300 ppi. camera is 1D Mkiv

Regards Mark.

Re: printing large scale, 3 mts square

I would ask the charity for a contact name and number for the printers and ring them yourself then you will know exactly what they require
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

I had a photograph blown up to a similar size that you are describing. They used a JPEG from a 5Diii file. It worked quite well so long as you did not look too close!

Richard
      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

You won't be printing at 300ppi on a 3m print, that would be a 1.2 gigapixel image!

Your 1Div at 16.1 mp will give you around 27ppi (on the shorter vertical axis) which is marginal unless the image is going to be viewed from a fair distance.

As I understand it, generally medium-format is the choice for posters like this.
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
        X