It's a dangerous hobby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a dangerous hobby!

A man has a "very, very narrow escape" after falling 30ft down a Dorset cliff while "trying to take photos".
    Sometimes I drink water. I like to give my liver an occasional surprise!

Re: It's a dangerous hobby!

Hope it's not one from the forums here!
    Andy

Comment

Cliff edges are notoriously dangerous places, and as such you venture too close at your own peril. If you do fall, then you put the lives of others at risk, in trying to rescue you. The moral of the the story is, don't risk 'life and limb' to get a picture, no matter how dramatic it might be.

In this case, thankfully, the guy had a very lucky escape.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

People who know me, know I will do anything for a shot. I've fallen in rivers, fallen out of trees, and nearly fell down the loup of fintry, an easy 50ft drop down a waterfall.

I genuinely think some photographers think they know the land better than they think. It's not enough to educate yourself in the art of photography, you need to be a mountain expert, coastal tide expert, star gazer, weather man and a safe driver lol
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Good post there Paul, come on everyone, lets be sensible out there. !!!
          [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

My first thought when I saw it happened in Dorset was Colin C... but it has been a while since he was 30
            David

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
              Cliff edges are notoriously dangerous places, and as such you venture too close at your own peril. If you do fall, then you put the lives of others at risk, in trying to rescue you. The moral of the the story is, don't risk 'life and limb' to get a picture, no matter how dramatic it might be.

In this case, thankfully, the guy had a very lucky escape.

Dave
              I went there for the first time this weekend. If this guy fell only 30 feet it was lucky it wasn’t further. There are some very long drops from the cliff top paths. The stairs to the beach are out of commission so you have to make your way down some rocks. Worth it when you get there though! Here’s a couple of shots.

Durdle Door by tonyhawkins600,
              on Flickr

Dordle Door (colour) by tonyhawkins600,
              on Flickr
              - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

I remember being at Seven Sisters, just along from Beachy Head and seeing someone standing on this bit posing for a photo with hands out faking being scared... It's about 80m straight down...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by DrJon; 01-07-2014, 09:47.

Comment

The second shot looks scary!
                  - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Dorset, is one of my favourite counties, and have been many times to Durdle Door. In my younger day, I used to do a lot of SCUBA diving off the Dorset coast.

The cliffs at Beachy head take 'no prisoners. You don't fall from them. and get up and walk away.

From your second pictures Jon, it looks like a very large slice is getting close to falling into the sea.

Dave
                    Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X