The value and power of PP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The value and power of PP

I've just been reviewing some pictures taken at Chartwell House (National Trust) this weekend, and came across the pic below, grossly underexposed (it was exposed for the sky) and I though "What could LR do with it?"

So, less than a minute in Lightroom straightening and cropping it, WB adjustment, medium-contrast curve applied, adjustments to exposure highlights/shadows/white/black, a little clarity/vibrance increase, a bullseye adjustment to saturation/luminance on the sky (overdone as it looks "HDR"), grass, and house, and some sharpening (No NR added), and in less time than it took me to type that list I achieved the second image.

It's not a good image, but it is amazing from the perspective of what can be retrieved by exposing to the right and then recovering shadow detail!

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share this with you all

Chartwell-2.jpg

Chartwell-1.jpg
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Re: The value and power of PP

Steve

That is a powerful demonstration of the power of PP and the oodles of data that sits in a raw format file.

Great!

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

You've certainly brought out the data from the raw file, what version of LR did you use Steve.
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

That's an unbelievable difference (don't get me wrong I am not doubting you Steve )... amazing even !! ..
        Last edited by wayne2418; 23-06-2014, 17:26.
        [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Cracking job Steve just shows what can be done with lr when you know what your doing.

Comment

An excellent demo Steve

There is a moral in there too , if its under exposed there's a very good chance of recovering the content, whereas if it is over exposed, then at the very least, the highlights will be burnt out, and gone forever.

Dave
            Dave

Comment

Nicely done Steve

Tom

Comment

So there's always hope then...
                Great example, thanks for sharing, Steve.
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                  There is a moral in there too , if its under exposed there's a very good chance of recovering the content, whereas if it is over exposed, then at the very least, the highlights will be burnt out, and gone forever.
                  Funny you say that. I was thinking the same recently, and I now apply some negative compensation in most cases. Blow this highlights, and they're gone, under expose and pull it back in PP. Of course, there's always the motto that you should get it right I camera, but that's not always possible with extreme dynamic range, where you don't want to do HDR.

Excellent example. Well done, and thanks for the demonstration.

Mike
                  flickr
                  5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Glad you all appreciated the example

The processing was performed in Lightroom 5.5, though as far as I'm aware the tools all work in the same way since LR4 (LR3 was different with (if I remember correctly) lights/darks instead of highlights and shadows and was far less tolerant of large adjustments).

No matter how many times I do this sort of thing it never ceases to amaze me just how much detail is available in the shadows when using raw (JPEG is a completely different kettle of fish however), and how clean it can look as long as ISO is kept in check.

Underexposing is a technique I've used successfully in low-light conditions, with -1 (possibly -2 at a pinch) stops exposure-compensation or underexposure in manual allowing hand-holding shutter speeds at medium ISO. It's a balance between higher ISO noise and the noise inherent in the low signal shadow areas at lower ISO, but can give a reasonable result when you can't achieve a perfect exposure without pushing the limits of shutter-speed and/or ISO.
                    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
                    X