Cool opportunity in sports & media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool opportunity in sports & media

Last night I was contacted by a pro photographer in sports and news. Him and another protog had set up their own company and were looking for photographers to come on board and shoot for them. I was apprehensive to reply at first but the more I looked into it, the more it sounded legit. They have quite a few amateurs and semi-pro guys working with them. They have a Football Dataco license which gains they photogs to top drawer football matches and also have the particulars to gain access to events.

It's all felt a bit overwhelming, but not too far removed from what I'm doing at the moment. I just wanted to get a feel from the folk doing sports that I have the right lenses to cover things if the need rises.

It certainly seems like a good opportunity and I'd like to contribute to their start-up if I can.

What you think?

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Cool opportunity in sports & media

Go for it - from what you have written in the past and the images you have posted oh here - you have both the determination and the skill to do this well.
    Best of luck
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Cheers Jim it's all a bit scary and a buddy of mine who does this sort of thing says it's not the photography you need to worry about it's the attitude of the other photographers who hate the new guys.
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

sounds like a great opportunity Paul, well done , but whats in the small print (contract) who owns the photos, have you agreed terms (dosh).. gotta get the legals sorted before you start putting out the flags
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          sounds like a great opportunity Paul, well done , but whats in the small print (contract) who owns the photos, have you agreed terms (dosh).. gotta get the legals sorted before you start putting out the flags
          Aye I've heard people get stung with all that. It's my kit so they are my pics. They just take a 30% if sold to the media and 10% if sold to the public, and I can set the price. It's really just to help the wee guy get to the events and get experience.

I've asked to be on the mailing list of events so we'll see how it goes. They have said though that my lenses would not suit football at all, expecially coming into the autumn/winter months and most are running with 70-200 2.8 variants and longer focal lengths.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

result - I hope you've got that in writing

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
              They have said though that my lenses would not suit football at all, expecially coming into the autumn/winter months and most are running with 70-200 2.8 variants and longer focal lengths.
              I would love to do more sports too. It would seem though, that the 'stock' lenses for 'pitch' sports are the 300/400 2.8's, and going right up to 600.
              Probably why the 200-400 costs 'an arm and a leg'!
              1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Congrats Paul seems like all the effort is starting to pay off
                1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                Facebook
                www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Without wanting to curb your enthusiasm did you ask why they'd set the agency up?

I know a pro sports togger who I think has recently wrapped it in due to falling rates. He was covering mainly pro rugby in the grim north.

If it's what you want to do it sounds like a good opportunity to get into venues and events and make some contacts but the question you need to ask is as a business model can you live off the income?
                  TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

It's not just sports, it's anything news related. A photojourno thing if you will. They just said that sports are what the clients are asking for. Couldn't live off the income alone, no way. I doubt there's many photogs left that are 100% living off their profits.
                    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                    www.campsie.photography

Comment

... doing sports that I have the right lenses to cover things if the need rises. ...
                      The range of sports to be covered and the locations will determine the most suitable lens. A wide angle will be useful with a range through to 300mm or 400mm. Wide aperture lens (f2.8 or better) help in poor lighting conditions - indoors and poor weather. You may not be shooting at 2.8 but remember the lens uses the widest setting to take readings. Wider apertures help speed up that process

Comment

The owner mentioned that my current lenses would be useless to me coming into the autumn and winter months. Said that all their guys are shooting with 2.8 lenses. Need to have a hard wee think about this I guess.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

and don't forget see that contract!

Comment

... are shooting with 2.8 lenses. Need to have a hard wee think about this I guess.
                            It can be an expensive game Paul. I shoot with 15mm 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 50 1.8, 70-200 2.8, 200 1.8 and 300 2.8. What I take with me depends on the sport, the location and what access I have to the action. It's heavy too!!

David

Comment

Appreciate that David. Last thing I want is to turn up anywhere and folk just instantly know I'm getting no pics that day based on my lenses.
                              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Working...
                              X