New lens, new buying experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New lens, new buying experience

Needing a wide angle lens and settling on a Sigma 10-20 I sought opinion here about whether to buy the f3.5 or f4-5.6 version and was guided towards the slower lens so I bought... a Tokina 11-16 f2.8!

Ultimately what swung me was the speed and that it would be used on my 7D with its renowned poor low light ability and that the aperture was constant.

Google found a seller whose excellent website showed a good price, current stock that is “Usually Dispatched in 2-3 Business Days” so I placed the order. When I received the payment confirmation e-mail I started getting nervous as it stated “... expected to be delivered in 4-10 working days”.

Tracking the order and looking into reviews of the company suggested I was in for the long-haul. My ‘order status’ kept me informed of the progress but it seemed to move with glacial speed being sat for days in various status of ‘we have received your order’, ‘we confirm your order’, ‘we are sourcing stock to fulfil your order’, ‘your order is packed and awaiting dispatch’, ‘your order is shipped’.

After shipping I was placed in the hands of the courier (DPD) who, after reporting it in two different parts of the Netherlands before arriving in the UK, gave me an hour slot for delivery and whose tracking system even showed on a map exactly where the van was.

All this took exactly two weeks but it’s arrived now and initial impressions are of a cute but well constructed lens with crisp, clear and bright test images. I may talk about the lens again after I’ve given it a good workout but now I just wanted to describe the buying experience.

The supplier, Simply Electronics, have poor reviews nearly all over the slow service and, if I’m honest, had I read them beforehand I would have gone elsewhere but, perhaps, they miss the point. They’re Hong Kong based with a business model to source from where they can and supply at low prices and just how low? Well, WEX have the lens currently listed at £499 – I paid £298.95

Would I buy from them again? Depends...

Cheers,
    John

Re: New lens, new buying experience

I've got that lens, in fact I've just sold it to a member here and its a good lens so you should be pleased with it

On a lens of that value thats one heck of a saving and well worth waiting two weeks to get it - I've purchased all of my equipment via a Hong Kong store and the delivery & service has put a lot of UK ones to shame - The last time I bought something I also had to use a UK store to buy a bag as the HK one was out of stock - The HK item was delivered inside the week, the UK one 2 weeks !
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Simply Electronics have been around for quite a few years.
      I have used them in the past and generally expect delivery in about 10 days.
      Is it worth waiting 10 days?? To save £200 I would say definitely YES.

Now compare the Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II:-
      WEX price = £1699.00
      Simply Electronics price = £1329.95
      A saving of £369.05 ... both lenses made in the same factory, same spec, same box, same international warranty.
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Panamoz will do the same lens for £1311 if you pay by BACS transfer which in tho price range seems to be too little a difference to be worthwhile losing the credit card cover for the purchase.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Are you guys ever worried about getting hit with a duty and VAT demand on purchases from places like Hong Kong? Or do some suppliers cover that? I would be worried about a big bill on arrival.

- Tony
          - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Hawkins View Post
            Are you guys ever worried about getting hit with a duty and VAT demand on purchases from places like Hong Kong? Or do some suppliers cover that? I would be worried about a big bill on arrival.

- Tony
            On the store I use they state all taxes are covered, although on my last purchase DHL tried to charge import tax, I refused to pay and the good were returned to the DHL warehouse. I contacted DR they sorted it and the item was returned the next day - I know lots of people in the UK that have used similar HK based stores and have never paid tax

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
              On the store I use they state all taxes are covered, although on my last purchase DHL tried to charge import tax, I refused to pay and the good were returned to the DHL warehouse. I contacted DR they sorted it and the item was returned the next day - I know lots of people in the UK that have used similar HK based stores and have never paid tax
              May I ask what store that is?

- Tony
              - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Digital Rev, saved £400 on my last purchase over Wex

I've spent a lot of money with them over the last 3 yrs and the service is excellent -
                Last edited by Tigger; 10-09-2014, 15:55.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                  Panamoz will do the same lens for £1311 if you pay by BACS transfer which in tho price range seems to be too little a difference to be worthwhile losing the credit card cover for the purchase.
                  The OP would have saved about £4.50 with Panamoz too but it is a cheaper lens.
                  I've used panamoz and paid by BACS without issue. I guess it depends on how risk averse you are. They are a well known etrader with a long track record of supplying in the UK. If they were someone that had a dodgy history I wouldn't use them in the first place. With or without the credit card back-up.
                  TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                    Digital Rev, saved £400 on my last purchase over Wex

I've spent a lot of money with them over the last 3 yrs and the service is excellent -
                    It was Tigger who put me onto them..I've now bought two lenses from them, saved a nice amount of money and the delivery of my last item arrived with 36 hours!!
                    Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

My lad uses and swears by HDEW Hong Kong based but office and warehouse in the u.k ,they also give 3years GENUINE warranty on all items .very slightly dearer than the others but still cheaper than u.k high street .

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
                        The OP would have saved about £4.50 with Panamoz too but it is a cheaper lens.
                        I've used panamoz and paid by BACS without issue. I guess it depends on how risk averse you are. They are a well known etrader with a long track record of supplying in the UK. If they were someone that had a dodgy history I wouldn't use them in the first place. With or without the credit card back-up.
                        In my case and when I'd be spending £1300 or more, very risk averse. A guy I work with bought train tickets from a company called Red Spotted Hanky, a company with a big and solid internet presence. He paid by debit card and the tickets never arrived. When he last mentioned it six weeks after he made the purchase he still hadn't been refunded and the company wasn't exactly giving him the feeling they cared one way or the other.

So to lose the protection of using a credit card on a purchase this large isn't something that would sit well with me. But your mileage may vary
                        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

In my case and when I'd be spending £1300 or more, very risk averse. A guy I work with bought train tickets from a company called Red Spotted Hanky, a company with a big and solid internet presence. He paid by debit card and the tickets never arrived. When he last mentioned it six weeks after he made the purchase he still hadn't been refunded and the company wasn't exactly giving him the feeling they cared one way or the other.

So to lose the protection of using a credit card on a purchase this large isn't something that would sit well with me. But your mileage may vary
                          I'm with you Andy - had I not had the security of using a CC I would not have made my first purchase with DR

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Hawkins View Post

- Tony
                            There is always an element of risk, when buying 'Grey' from the far east (Singapore and Hong Kong) in terms of being 'stung' for import duty and VAT, but I have yet to hear of any photographic gear buyers having a problem.

I think Customs have more than enough to do in catching the 'big boys', as opposed to an individual trying to save a few quid on a camera or lens.

I have used both Panamaoz and Digital Revolution, without problems, and the service has been very good.

If you want a 'Grey import' with a VAT receipt, then there is UK based HDEW Cameras, whom I have also used without any issues.

Its interesting to note that recently, Canon have reduced the price of there lenses, to try and encourage people into not buying 'Grey'.

Dave
                            Last edited by Dave_S; 11-09-2014, 13:53.
                            Dave

Comment

<snip>A guy I work with bought train tickets from a company called Red Spotted Hanky, a company with a big and solid internet presence. He paid by debit card and the tickets never arrived. When he last mentioned it six weeks after he made the purchase he still hadn't been refunded and the company wasn't exactly giving him the feeling they cared one way or the other.
                              Protection for Credit Card payments over £100 is called Section 75 - this does not apply to Debit Cards. However, a scheme called Chargeback does and for payments of any value (>£10 for Mastercard). There is a time limit of 120 days to initiate a claim and some other wrinkles make it less straightforward than Section 75 but still worth following up on.

See <here>
                              and <here>

Cheers,
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X