lens protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lens protection

Just wondering if everyone puts filters on their lenses for protection and is it worth using neoprene covers.

Alan
    Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Re: lens protection

I use Hoya pro filters on my lenses for protection.

I also have a camouflage neoprene cover on my white 100-400 L series lens and i find it a bit of a nuisance
    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

I may be alone in this matter but the best protection for a lens is the lens cap when not in use.I sometimes use a protective filter over the optics if in conditions where there is salt spray or abrasive sand dust etc, Otherwise why spend a lot of money on a lens and then cover the optics with a cheap glass filter? I know many forum members will strongly disagree with this point of view and may recommend various filter types to you if you want to go that way.
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I have UV filters on all my lenses, and only take them off when I'm changing to another filter (polariser etc.). I'm always very careful with my lenses, but accidents do happen and the only lens I've ever scratched was the one that I hadn't put a filter on.

I can understand people not wanting to fit filters on pro level lenses, especially those with deeply recessed front elements, but good filters are probably as good as the glass on "cheaper" lenses.
        John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Its all down to personal choice, and what you feel comfortable with.

For me, I'm happier with a piece of high quality optical glass in front of my expensive L lenses.

I always use Hoya Pro 1 filters, and a few weeks ago, I conducted a test with the 400mm L prime lens, both with and without a Hoya Pro 1 lens protector or UV filter in place. For this I used a TV Test Card, mounted at distance from the lens, where the image would fill the sensor. This was done outside in good natural light, with the camera tripod mounted.

I took a shot with the bare lens, then repeated the test with both a Hoya Pro1 UV Filter, and the later Hoya Pro1 plain glass protector in place.

There was no discernible degradation with either filter in-place.

Purely a subjective test, as opposed to a scientific one, but the results were convincing enough for me to feel completely comfortable with a Hoya Pro1 UV filter, or lens protector fitted to my lenses.

Dave
          Dave

Comment

I put protector or UV filters on most of my lenses, mainly so if I need to clean them in a hurry I can just grab whatever is handy. I like the better Hoya ones (SHMC, which you can't get any more, plus HD). The Nano coated MRC B+W ones look interesting too. Cheap ones trash the image too much.

A lens hood also provides some protection, but I've found over the years a very greasy finger can always go where it should be impossible for it to go... Sneezing is also fun...

Comment

I agree with Dr.Jon above. All my lenses have got UV filters.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                I agree with Dr.Jon above. All my lenses have got UV filters.
                Same here, Hoya Pro straight on mine from new and always have the hood on too.
                Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Nowt for me. Nothing at all between the glass and the subject.
                  EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                    Its all down to personal choice, and what you feel comfortable with.

For me, I'm happier with a piece of high quality optical glass in front of my expensive L lenses.

I always use Hoya Pro 1 filters, and a few weeks ago, I conducted a test with the 400mm L prime lens, both with and without a Hoya Pro 1 lens protector or UV filter in place. For this I used a TV Test Card, mounted at distance from the lens, where the image would fill the sensor. This was done outside in good natural light, with the camera tripod mounted.

I took a shot with the bare lens, then repeated the test with both a Hoya Pro1 UV Filter, and the later Hoya Pro1 plain glass protector in place.

There was no discernible degradation with either filter in-place.

Purely a subjective test, as opposed to a scientific one, but the results were convincing enough for me to feel completely comfortable with a Hoya Pro1 UV filter, or lens protector fitted to my lenses.

Dave
                    snap did just the same thing

I've always used UV even in my old days of film, when I got back into photography I though a few tests were needed as some were saying it wasn't good practice, so like Dave I did a test and couldn't see any difference between using or not - so for my peace of mine I use a UV filter and buy one automatically when ever I buy a lens and it never comes off
                    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I am a UV filter user as well. Always, except when I am putting something else on the lens. I bounced a lens once. While I had my lens hood on, I was glad the UV filter was there. I would rather replace a filter than the front element!

Each one to his own...

Richard
                      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I use a uv filter on all my lens's, as soon as I get a new lens I put a uv on it and only take it off to clean, I once broke a uv in travelling so it saved an expansive lens.
                        7D griped, 70-200 2.8 is, 17-40 2.8L, 60 EFS 2.8,sigma170-600 5.6, iLUX 600 flash,480ex11,Giottos silk road pod etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X