Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I too polite, or is there a "Photographers Etiquette"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I too polite, or is there a "Photographers Etiquette"?

I ask this as it really bugged me the other day when I was taking the pictures of the Tour of Britain Cycle race.

Is there an expected element of "Photographers Etiquette" or is it always literally a free for all...

Whilst I appreciate, journalistic wise there is a free for all requirement to get that unique story picture, when it comes to being on an open road with 100s of yards of free space to choose from - would you set up right in front of another photographer with your DSLR and equipment? Am I just too polite not to do such a thing myself - should I be ruthless and not give a damn?

The story: I drove up the hill having picked where to park, where to walk to, where to set up by looking at google maps, working out angle of sun etc so it wasnt right in my face, so I could get the pictures of the Tour of Britain as it was passing through Gloucestershire.

I even walked along the road quite a bit so that I wasnt in the way of the crowds, in the way of anyone else and even had a nice backdrop for when cyclicsts came round the corner (I'd picked a stretch of road where they would cut round the corner so they would be closer to me etc), and I set my bag etc down and set myself up a good 30 minutes prior to their arrival. A few test shots with passing cars and I was set....until...

with about ten minutes to go...some lady comes with her DSLR and tripod, etc and sets up no more than ten yards in front of me, right on the apex of the corner I had my view all set on and basically completely ruining my entire line of sight with back drop etc - she then wasnt happy there an moved even closer...

By then I just loudly shouted "FFS", grabbed my stuff and walked off down the road to the next corner...I still got my pictures, but no nice backdrop of Gloucester from top of hill.

My question is....would you do such a thing just for your pictures - is it just me that is too polite that if it was me, I would have perhaps asked if it was ok to set up just there in front or even by the side of the person if the angles were that good...but right in line of picture??? arrgghhhh!!!

Thanks,
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Re: Am I too polite, or is there a "Photographers Etiquette"?

Andy, I had a similar thing happen to me last year in France. Thankfully I'd taken all the shots I needed, but I was still set-up on the tripod, when this guy came over and just dropped his tripod in front of me by the log in this photo. I thought 'you ignorant sh*t!' I wouldn't ever do that to someone else, I'd either wait until they were done, or ask if I could get a few shots in.
    Last edited by AndyA; 13-09-2014, 20:47. Reason: poor spelling
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I do sometimes wonder where basic courtesy has gone. I would have been livid, and would probably have asked her to move...

Richard
      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I would have definitely had a word.
        TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Andy I've seen several arguments taking place before with similar circumstances.
          Some people are just ignorant and don't give a hoot about anyone else.
          I have shouted out a few obscenities just out of pure frustration.
          Its funny that when people behave like that it's the only language they seem to understand.

Alan
          Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

If it wasnt getting close to the cyclists turning up (ie the police bikes had started coming along ready clearing the road) then I might well have just had a word, but I wanted to get somewhere quickly to get set up again (I was hoping the very loudly expressed FFS (out of character for me) might have sunk in, but I doubt it).
            Andy
            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
            EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
            [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

They need a lesson in "Britishness and British Values"! The systemic erosion of these basic tenets is the cause of a lot of trouble in this country today- IMHO!! I have seen big changes since the 1990's.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I've had it happen a few times to me, if you're there with your camera, and it looks to them like a decent camera and you know what you're doing, there are people that seem to think "hang on, that must be a decent picture, I'll go there" and they rush up, and to make sure they've got the right shot they stand right in front of you. It doesn't matter that your shot is ruined as long as they get the one. It also doesn't have any effect if you say anything to them because they're oblivious to any normal concept of right and wrong.

For some reason it seems to have got worse in recent years. When I got my first film camera I hardly ever noticed it, in fact people would go out of their way not to spoil your shot, and it's something I still try to do now. As far as I am concerned if someone is there first I wait 'til they've finished and move away. I just wish others would have the same courtesy.
                John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

its a mean street out there and sadly a dog eat dog world, which means you have to adapt - I've been in situations where I've been standing around waiting for the action and someone just pushes straight in, or worse when the pro's come along and they are on the other side of the barrier and just stand directly in front of you but what can you do, have it out and miss the shot anyway, or just try to move a little
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

People can be ignorant or rude, take some solace that it is minority and many people are decent and thoughtful.
                    Andy

Comment

afraid i,m not good mannered towards pillocks ,i would have said something and rather loudly to .my vocabulary started in the gutters of the east end of london and i haven't forgotten any of it ,luckily i have the build to back it up as well

Comment

I get this a lot even when accredited, we are not all the same though, as a rule I will check behind me when looking for the shot trackside if there is anyone there I try to move. It is not always possible though but I rarely stay in the same spot for long, I like to vary my shots.

It does annoy me though when I am trying to get 'the' shot that I am being paid for and some pillock behind the fence who is doing it for fun starts tutting / swearing and moaning the second I stop [shakes head] ;-)

.DAVID.
                        Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
                          It does annoy me though when I am trying to get 'the' shot that I am being paid for and some pillock behind the fence who is doing it for fun starts tutting / swearing and moaning the second I stop [shakes head] ;-)
                          .DAVID.
                          You mean the punters that paid to get in to watch the event?
                          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                            You mean the punters that paid to get in to watch the event?
                            Yes.

But I guess you also missed the sarcastic undertone of the post? rearrange these words for a popular phrase: cheek / in / tongue

.DAVID.
                            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
                              Yes.

But I guess you also missed the sarcastic undertone of the post? rearrange these words for a popular phrase: cheek / in / tongue

.DAVID.
                              Sorry, sarcasm doesn't come across too well on a forum like this and I read your comment as being serious.
                              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Working...
                              X