Useful tip...I never realised.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useful tip...I never realised.

I learnt something new recently that I thought I would share in case there is anyone out there that didnt realise (I didnt LOL).

If you wanted to take a "bracketed exposure" (under / over / normal exposure shots to merge later - eg HDR) and do not have your tripod to hand, then when you have set the bracket, also set your camera to Continuous shooting mode.

When using handheld then, focus and click and hold the shutter button and the camera stops after the 3 shots having done them all very quickly minimising the risk of you moving in between each shot when taking 3 individual single shots.

I never realised this / didnt know this until I saw it on a tutorial video last week - went out and tried it this weekend and have to say it certainly helps when you dont have a tripod.

Apologies to those that already know this, but even if one person learns from this then it was worthwhile me posting a tip I learnt and find quite helpful.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Re: Useful tip...I never realised.

Never thought of doing that - something to try out although i guess you would need a steady hand and fairly fast shutter spped

stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

I think it would depend on your initial readings yes, but I found it very useful outdoors where I havent got a grad filter so have taken bracketed pics so i can merge together for a good sky etc. I'm still playing around with it and still learning myself, but thought its worth a try to get rid of my white blown skies all the time and a bit more detail in the pics:

I'm still learning.
      Andy
      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
        I think it would depend on your initial readings yes, but I found it very useful outdoors where I havent got a grad filter so have taken bracketed pics so i can merge together for a good sky etc. I'm still playing around with it and still learning myself, but thought its worth a try to get rid of my white blown skies all the time and a bit more detail in the pics:
        A good tip, always useful to hear what people have learnt.

If you are taking shots normally and want to avoid blown out skies one tip is to expose for the highlights in the image.
        Anthony Morganti talks about this and how it can help develop the image in Lightroom, but the same principle could be applied in and RAW program such as Elements etc...

The link is the first of many but gives the basic idea.

Obviously there are other ways such as filters etc too.
        Andy

Comment

another good point about shooting bracketed shots is whilst onsite you can look at the histogram I've still found I wished I had a shot over or under giving me more flexibility when doing PP

Theres a lot to be said for producing "natural" looking HDR images.. its just sad that in some places the moment you say HDR people assume its going to be some wacky arty photo, not the case here though

Nice HDR shots Andy
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
            Theres a lot to be said for producing "natural" looking HDR images.. its just sad that in some places the moment you say HDR people assume its going to be some wacky arty photo, not the case here though

Nice HDR shots Andy
            Ian is right, you have created a natural HDR image and not one that's weird or garish.
            Good HDR work.
            Andy

Comment

That was how I got most of my HDR shots on my 7D. Photomatix does a great job of aligning the images too. I really like natural HDR and most of my landscape images are HDR, HDR meaning that it has good detail in the shadows and highlights. :)

To be fair though, once you get an exposure nailed, you can sometimes get away with raising the shadows and lowering the highlights in LR and get a similar effect. Reducing the blue luminance slider can also pull details out of the sky.
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Andy > I carry all my camera equip in a rucksack type camera bag on my back thus leaving my hands free to carry my tripod - Use a tripod whenever you can and that way you have everything to hand [ lens's filters etc your photography will improve and the quality. Try to get everythimg correct at time of taking when you can .

Pingdriver1952

Comment

Thanks for comments everyone.

With these I merged the three from Lightroom into Photoshop cc and then saved back when merged. Then I applied some shadow / highlight changes in LR.

Unfortunately some NT places don't allow tripods. I do carry a mini one now but it was busy so decided to try this handheld tip I'd seen.
                  Andy
                  Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

TBH Andy all my HDR shots have been hand held - if you are going to try more then try HDR efex pro as the merging features I think are better and will help with ghosting - and it plugs into LR & PS

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

To the average person, a HDR shot just looks normal. I always think that if there was shadow areas when I looked at it, I should attempt to replicate that in the picture. More often than not I'll take a shot with my iphone too for a basic memory jog lol. The HDR function on that is spot on. Also you're eyes can't really see it all so the odd blown out highlight doesn't matter much to folk. It's only other photographers that pick at these things lol
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

I don't do much by way of HDR work but I gather you can also do it with one shot that you process three times, once at 0ev and the other two at +/- 1, 2 or 3 ev as you choose. Then merge these as if they were three separate exposures, which in fact they are. It won't be true HDR but...
                        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                          To the average person, a HDR shot just looks normal. I always think that if there was shadow areas when I looked at it, I should attempt to replicate that in the picture. More often than not I'll take a shot with my iphone too for a basic memory jog lol. The HDR function on that is spot on. Also you're eyes can't really see it all so the odd blown out highlight doesn't matter much to folk. It's only other photographers that pick at these things lol
                          One tip I saw on Youtube recently is that if your camera doesn't have GPS, my 7D doesn't, take a reference pic on an iphone of similar and then load it into LR along with the proper pics and then locate then all in the maps tab, genius.

And you're right Paul, prior to taking up this wonderful hobby just over a year ago I never looked at the sky and thought 'that's blown', now it's the thing I focus on most!

I do find at times that if I expose for the sky and try to recover the shadows afterwards they do look like they have been recovered and not always successfully.
                          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

In response to Andy's original post, on my 5DMKII (which doesn't have the HDR functionality) I have assigned 3 bracket exposure and continuous shooting to one of my Custom settings. Then, when I want the components of an HDR shot I just have to switch to C1. Saves a bit of fiddling and the annoyance of forgetting the continous from time to time when I used to do it manually

Scott
                            Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                              I do find at times that if I expose for the sky and try to recover the shadows afterwards they do look like they have been recovered and not always successfully.
                              agree - I do find myself now going straight into HDR mode if theres any sky / shadows in the shot as it will offer you the bracked images that you can either merge or play with in LR.. Often you can't return, so cover all the options

Comment

Working...
                              X