So many 100-400 for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many 100-400 for sale

I've been watching these lenses for a while as I'm now considering buying one as it doesn't seem like a new one is one the cards any day soon .....sadly

But recently I've seem a good few selling this lens.... why? and if you look in the classifieds section its one of the most offered lenses
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Re: So many 100-400 for sale

Ian, i am selling one, but purely because of me bought a 300mm f2.8 and not using this anymore and can't see holding one but rather let it go and buy more prime. It is a very good lens if you not bothered about push and pull and it can be used with 1.4 and certain camera do AF at f8.
    Raj
    Raj
    Flickr

Comment

It is a very good lens if you not bothered about push and pull and it can be used with 1.4 and certain camera do AF at f8.
      sorry could you explain this ? I've got a 5Dmk 3 and have both 1.4 & 2 converters, I didn't think either could be used ??

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

The 5D3 will AF with 1.4x when used with 100-400 as the max Aperture at tele end is f8. I have used it and have posted some picture here in the past, it will work with 2x but only on manual and the IQ will not be the best although useable.
        Raj
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          I've been watching these lenses for a while as I'm now considering buying one as it doesn't seem like a new one is one the cards any day soon .....sadly

But recently I've seem a good few selling this lens.... why? and if you look in the classifieds section its one of the most offered lenses
          I think this is because it's such a marmite lens, and I also think it's a lens people get then decide they don't need or like.

Originally posted by rajjayaraj View Post
          The 5D3 will AF with 1.4x when used with 100-400 as the max Aperture at tele end is f8. I have used it and have posted some picture here in the past, it will work with 2x but only on manual and the IQ will not be the best although useable.

That's spot on as far as I know. Mine works well with my 1.4x converter and IQ does not seem to suffer.
          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            I think this is because it's such a marmite lens, and I also think it's a lens people get then decide they don't need or like..
            Its the push pull I'm not sure about and I don't have any local shops to try it out - hence why I was hoping for a new lens / design as I'm sure this is something a lot don't like and if Canon did redesign would go for a standard zoom - question is how long do I wait for Canon and should I start saving for the 200-400 now

Comment

The 100-400 was the first L lens I bought and was reasonably happy with it until someone let Dee use a 300 f4 at the Hawk Conservancy. She was so impressed with the quality within a week she had bought one. I "borrowed" it one day and within another week i had one of my own and the 100-400 was left gathering dust at the back of the cupboard for a couple of years until i sold it to fund other lens purchases. We both added 1.4x giving us effectively 2 prime lenses, a 300 and 420 for a very similar cost to the 100-400

On the 5D III you can also use the 2x giving you 600mm and retain autofocus

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

With any of these zooms there seem to be lots of made on Friday ones about ,but also its down to the patience of the owners sometimes ,jan has a sigma 120-400 o.s which is roughly within the same spec as the canon one but half the price of less new ,it's had two previous owners both close friends neither of whom could get on with it ,jan however took to it like the proverbial duck and turns out very good stuff with it .me I prefer a 400mm f5.6 prime and having f8 a.f I can fit a 1.4 tc and get 560mm .
                I think you'll find as well a lot of mid range zooms are being sold on in favour of the latest 150-600 mega zooms

Comment

I've just sold a 100-400. I found it to be a great lens and very versatile but my weakness for upgrades (300 f2.8ii in this case) and empty promises to my wife to sell kit to fund new stuff finally caught up with me
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

Stan
                    but loose two stops? - I've looked at the 300 but its the attraction of the zoom that keeps pulling me back to the 100-400, but it would seem at a cost in quality

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                    With any of these zooms there seem to be lots of made on Friday ones about ,but also its down to the patience of the owners sometimes ,jan has a sigma 120-400 o.s which is roughly within the same spec as the canon one but half the price of less new ,it's had two previous owners both close friends neither of whom could get on with it ,jan however took to it like the proverbial duck and turns out very good stuff with it .me I prefer a 400mm f5.6 prime and having f8 a.f I can fit a 1.4 tc and get 560mm .
                    I think you'll find as well a lot of mid range zooms are being sold on in favour of the latest 150-600 mega zooms
                    its funny you should say that Jeff - I was reading another thread where people were saying the older ones did have issues and it was hit or miss if you got a good one

Originally posted by DaveG001 View Post
                    I've just sold a 100-400. I found it to be a great lens and very versatile but my weakness for upgrades (300 f2.8ii in this case) and empty promises to my wife to sell kit to fund new stuff finally caught up with me
                    Dave
                    the only thing thats holding me back is the hope that a nice new design 100-400 F4 is on the cards as I'm really not sure about push / pull and I'm going to try and track one down locally ( within Southern Spain ) so I can try, but it still doesn't get away from the age of the technology within the lens
                    Last edited by Tigger; 29-09-2014, 06:27.

Comment

I chose the 300 over the 100-400 largely due to IQ and when combined with 1.4 TC the extra speed. Plan to add 70-200 2.8 (again if necessary adding TC) that should cover most of my usage.

On recent trip to BWC used the 300 and didn't really miss zoom option.
                      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally Posted by Stan

Stan
                        but loose two stops?
                        I would not have thought that a problem with all the sunshine in Spain - I have been shooting my wildlife mostly at f8 during the summer and still getting sufficient shutter speed

stan
                        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                        flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                          I would not have thought that a problem with all the sunshine in Spain - I have been shooting my wildlife mostly at f8 during the summer and still getting sufficient shutter speed

stan
                          cheers but you wouldn't say that if you looked out of my office doors today - grey / dull and crappy

Comment

In this lens category I also went for the 300 prime with the 1.4. I can use the 2x with my 5D3 but I find the IQ is better with the 1.4x and extra cropping.

The 400 5.6 is a cracking lens if you read the reviews but it won't focus inside about 12ft so, unlike the 300 F4, it can't double up as a macro lens for dragonflies etc or be used for small birds that are really close to a hide. Therefore the only reason to buy the 400 5.6 is if you will always use it for long range shots AND you have a pro body (5D3 or 1 series) so are able to add a 1.4x and retain AF.

So if you don't have a pro body it will just be a 400 F5.6 wheras the 300 F4 will be a 300 F4 or a 420 F5.6 AND it's capable of macro style shots too. So it's a much more versatile combination.

Having said that I do have a 5D3 and would love to add the 400 5.6 to my lens collection so I have 560mm for those long range shots but I wouldn't get rid of my 300 F4.
                            Last edited by Riggers; 29-09-2014, 10:44.
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

interesting feed back cheers guys, I've got some thinking to do

Comment

Working...
                              X