Airport Security checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airport Security checks

This last weekend we were at Paris , for a whisky show on the saturday and sightseeing on the Sunday , i just took the basics as it would be more touristy shots than anything else (6D, Flash , 24-105mm , 16-35mm and Nexus Tablet) . Now this was only my 2nd trip out the Country , the first one earlier in the year was to Toronto where everything went swimmingly , going out from Newcastle they just put the complete bag through the scanner . Paris CDG was a different matter , they made me take everything out of the bag and spread them across trays , what was surprising though after doing this was that they didn't make me prove everything worked !
    We had a great weekend btw , very hot , 25C+ both days and got to try some great whisky ( best one was the new 50yo Glenlivet at *Cough* £18,000 a bottle *Cough* from a rather nice man from Glenlivet distillery.....) .
    Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Re: Airport Security checks

Yesterday, I returned from a trip to Orlando, Florida with my cabin baggage containing the 5D3, S120, chargers and cables, plus a mains and in-car charger for the iPhone. This went through the scanner on both the outward and return journeys, without any questions being asked, or request to open the bag, and demonstrate that the equipment worked.

My wife's cabin bag contained her 10.1" Samsung Tablet, along with charger and cable. Again, straight through at both ends.

Ah well, perhaps we looked too honest.

Dave
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
      Ah well, perhaps we looked too honest.
      They are always the dangerous ones!

Richard
      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

This is an interesting post. We're of to Spain in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering about the checks. I guess it's the luck of the draw!
        Garry Macdonald on Flickr
        Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
          This is an interesting post. We're of to Spain in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering about the checks. I guess it's the luck of the draw!
          Not been to Europe for many years, Canada/US no problems
          just usual checks but be warned "Even in Transit" USA you HAVE to go through immigration so photo/finger prints/collect luggage/recheck and a ESTA is required, never again en-route to Nova Scotia.
          Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

which part ?

I'm heading to Italy for winter break so it will be interesting to see what happens at the airport
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I'm going to Portinatx, Ibiza. I hear it has lovely areas for photography. I've been much inspired by pics on here recently, most definitely including yours Ian. I've never travelled with my gear before though, and wonder what to take. We are trying to travel hand luggage only, but I'm not sure. Tempted just to take the body and stock 18-55 & 75-300, but feel I may regret that. Any advice?
              Last edited by digiman; 30-09-2014, 06:52.

Comment

I'm heading to Ibiza in March before the crazy season starts - yes its a beautiful island once you get away from the party towns, but its not a cheap place !

As for what gear - it really depends on what your interests are, but I tend to use my 24-105 for 80% of my photos and I would have thought your 18-55 would offer you a similar lens, after all its landscape work I presume you'll be taking so a 75-300 won't offer much help - enjoy yourself and I look forward to seeing your photos and probably lots of Ibiza sunsets ;o)

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Cheers Ian. Landscape and architecture is what I'll be looking to shoot mostly. My walkabout lens here tends to be my 70-200 f4L, but not too keen on travelling with it. Probably end up with my whole kit knowing me!

Comment

Probably end up with my whole kit knowing me!
                    LOL "just in case"

I know that well on a recent trip I thought I'd leave my 1.4 & 2 converters as I'll never need those - 3 days in my 70-200 was way under power for some bird photos I was trying to take

Comment

I also took a mini tripod when I went away rather than large one:

This held my 700d with 24-105 quite well for when I needed it. Obv supporting leg to front.
                      Andy
                      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                      [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Security in the gulf seemed very relaxed. Didn't have to take my laptop or iPad out of their bags either in Dammam or Doha. And I have just arrived back safely at Heathrow! As for kit I took a range (as I usually do) and had the worst photographic opportunities of any trip I have ever been on!!!

Richard
                        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Working...
                        X