Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yongnuo and Canon speedlite flash guns. why the big price difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yongnuo and Canon speedlite flash guns. why the big price difference?

I have noticed that many members have bought the chinese Yongnuo flash guns in preference to the Canon speedlites as they are much cheaper but being more or less carbon copies of the more expensive canon flash guns. Any reason why the big price differential? Is it the cheaper labour costs in China or have they found a more economical way of producing their flash guns in comparison to Canon? Or does the "canon" label give the right to charge more for almost identical flash guns made by the Youngnuo company.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Yongnuo and Canon speedlite flash guns. why the big price difference?

Nat, i own both Canon and Youngnuo and although they look very similar in size they are about 1 stop less than the big guns.
    Raj
    Raj
    Flickr

Comment

Does the 1 stop difference make a big difference? I don't know.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Normally it does not as i now know what my output is, but it did made a difference when i recently did some group photography for my friends and used two flash with umbrella and you can clearly see one side of the lighting were different to the other (as one was canon and the other is YN)
        Raj
        Flickr

Comment

Nat I have just bought a yongnuo TTL flash ,and i,m more than happy with it ,build quality ,ease of use ,you can use it as a slave off camera and fired by your pop up flash ,if you have ETTL it will only give you the amount of flash needed anyway .your welcome to look before you buy as well if you want ,I bought from a e.bay company based in the U.k and got it in 4 days ,signed for ..in all honesty this equals the £400 nikon flashgun I used to own and it cost me £63.00 delivered.

As for price they have cut out the middleman importers ,where often prices are set selling either direct or through small dealers ,you won't find these in the big camera shops ,and I can assure you that the generation of flash I have bought is really top quality

And rumor has it they are soon to start making lenses and that might shake up a few things .
          Last edited by the black fox; 29-10-2014, 22:21.

Comment

I suppose I can safely use them on my 6D and 100D, even as the main flash?

Comment

Yes nat .just make sure you get a up to date one not one of the early models and a ETTL one to ,I can recommend the 565ex ,if you need I will give you a link to the supplier

Comment

I have the yongnuo 560II manual flash and it's ok. I want a TTL and the new Yongnuo 600RT looks like a winner. My 560II has been going strong for years and they are only £40. Sometimes the best investment is a flash. It totally changes the dynamic of how you think about light though. I was bamboozled by it at first.
                I only use a camera like I use a toothbrush. It does the job - Don McCullin

Comment

Thanks folks for all your good advice. I am toying between the 565EX and the updated 560II which has ETTL. Since most of my indoor pics are flashless, I have now sold my Canon 580EX and looking for a cheaper alternative to use mostly as fill flash. My philosophy is that if I am not using something and it is simply lying in my holdall or wardrobe I would sell it so that someone else could find a better use for it, but I always bought a cheaper but equally "on par" replacement. I wouldn't mind if this "cheaper" alternative rests in my holdall unused for long periods as it wouldn't burn a hole in my financial pockets.
                  Last edited by Nathaniel; 30-10-2014, 09:53.

Comment

Just thought I'd mention that I have now bought the Yongnuo YN560ii mk2 for the princely sum of £37 plus a few pence. So I am quids in after selling my Canon 580EX. It should arrive next week. It has got everything I need from a flash gun including ETTL.

Comment

Nat I dont think the YN560ii isETTL as its a manual flash.

Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

That's correct nat the 560 is not ETTL ,good price but might make it hard work

Comment

Yougnuo do seem to be decent, a lot of strobists use them. I'm waiting for them to release the YN600RT, and I'll be getting a couple of them as well as the YN-E3-RT.
                          Regards
                          Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
                          7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
                          24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Thanks for all the info Alex,Jeff and Iron man. If I am not very happy with the 560ii I will contact the seller and exchange it for the 565ex just for the cost of the postage. OR I might get the 565Ex in addition to the 560ii as the price is so good on both flash guns. I would still be quids in a tthe price I sold my Canon 580EX!!!

Comment

Just as a matter of interest, what is the big advanatage of having an ETTL flash against a manual flash and most of us seem to be shooting pics in manual mode for greater control?

Comment

Working...
                              X