Flickr....dam awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flickr....dam awards

Am I the only person that find these awards and groups a tad annoying ?

I follow a few people and when looking at images and trying to post!! all I see is these award groups and requests to join some group along with a banner... I find these really annoying and in most cases the image gets no feedback and it just ends up with a page full of banners

Am I just being grumpy, or do others love it
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Re: Flickr....dam awards

I,m with you I avoid them like the plague ,sometimes the odd one will slip in via a invite to post your pic or if someone in a group like that links to your picture

Comment

if it was just an invite via a posting its not too bad but its when you see a page full of these banners and notices that you've been awarded 1 point, then another 5 more start popping up that annoys me - it does seem to kill any chance of a discussion on flickr..

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

I've never had one on one of my shots but when I see them on others I do wonder who could be bothered to device such inane rules that mean absolutely nothing to anyone but the "owner" of the so called "award".
        Scott

500px flickr

Comment

I ditched mainstream Flickr a while ago. I posted a deliberate photoshop with really out of place lighting almost like there was two suns, and It ended up with all those award things all over it, and I lost faith in critique. I set all my pics to hide and now use it for storage.

Same with 500PX. It's a haven for "Great shot, come look at mine when you get a chance"
          I only use a camera like I use a toothbrush. It does the job - Don McCullin

Comment

What I find very annoying about Flickr apart from the above on which I agree and wondered if anyone else has found the same is when I look back to some of my very old pics they are not there, just a blank square. I have tried to contact Flickr but to no avail so far. Anyone else come across this?

Comment

Originally posted by Treff View Post
              What I find very annoying about Flickr apart from the above on which I agree and wondered if anyone else has found the same is when I look back to some of my very old pics they are not there, just a blank square. I have tried to contact Flickr but to no avail so far. Anyone else come across this?

Yes me. Recently noticed a couple of images had disappeared.
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

When I first joined Flickr I was keen and entered some of my pics in various groups and got a fair few of those notification/award thingies. Since I stopped doing that and I only now use Flickr as a mechanism for posting to here, they have dried up and I haven't had any for a couple of years.
                Or perhaps I'm just not worthy.
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I do add my photos to groups and although I take all the banners and faves with a pinch of salt,I've met quite a few landscape photographers in some of these groups who are based in and around the the Peak District and gained invaluable experience on locations times of year to shoot etc

Comment

Originally posted by Treff View Post
                    I've never noticed any images going missing, but I've only been using it for a couple of years and have a few hundred images uploaded - I have seen the blank squares on forum postings but just assumed the member pulled the image themselves from Flickr

Originally posted by Dave s View Post
                    I do add my photos to groups and although I take all the banners and faves with a pinch of salt,I've met quite a few landscape photographers in some of these groups who are based in and around the the Peak District and gained invaluable experience on locations times of year to shoot etc
                    maybe theres more serious discussions within the groups, but I've never tried to join any as I don't really have the time right now
                    Last edited by Tigger; 14-11-2014, 06:59.

Comment

I try to only post to groups that don't employ the post 1. Comment 3 type rules ,taking it that if the picture is worthy it will get the views anyway ,I do have a very robust group of followers ,and anyone on that list is either a wildlife photographer or someone I have met in person etc or known via a forum ,that scenario seems to work for me and I have just been asked for publishing rights on another three photos by a charity

Comment

Originally posted by Dave s View Post
                        I do this.

But I have to add... just think... out of all the thousands and thousands of photos that are added to flickr.... you post one in a group and someone picks it out of the many to say "I like that!" it's got to raise a smile surely.

Other than that...
                        I post in groups because they've shown me some great shots. Some of which I've stored away in my brain with the "I wouldn't mind attempting that one day."
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                          I do this.

But I have to add... just think... out of all the thousands and thousands of photos that are added to flickr.... you post one in a group and someone picks it out of the many to say "I like that!" it's got to raise a smile surely.

."
                          I don't mind the likes Di, after all we all like to think some people like our efforts, its just all the banners that come along with these likes

Comment

Working...
                          X