Cheers folks..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers folks..

I have been absent for a wee bit. It's been a wee bit crazy in the last few weeks.

A letter of complaint was sent into my employer detailing times in which I had been browsing this forum and POTN of which I am a member also. It detailed threads I had created, and times where I had replied to others during times where I would have been at work. My employer investigated this over a few days and I was locked out of the internet at work until it was sorted out. The damning allegation was that I was browsing images not suitable for a school.

After a few days my work threw out the complaint as nothing more than a very jealous rival who obviously knew me. They advised me to change who I was online and disconnect from anything that identified me with the employer. Naturally as a photographer you need to be totally transparent so this presented a real problem for me, and as a result I've ditched my flickr, website, online presence and I'm tip toeing around.

This is absolutely no good for someone who is trying to build an online portfolio for journalistic content and trying to weigh up choices in sports. I have been getting nothing but brick walls lately with trying to sell news images and wasting a lot of time and effort on it with no real progress. This is due to many people giving their images to the press for free. The idea of being a freelance photojournalist is just not a real prospect.

With regards to the sports, I cannot compete with the protogs due to not having the reach, and just not being able to afford to buy anything else in photography. I was at Ibrox Stadium on Saturday there and I was so far away from the action that I missed most of the good stuff.

I have this week been torn to either totally give up trying in an industry where there is no room, or sell it all and just get a wee mirrorless camera.

No news photo agency wants someone with a day job. That's why I've been having trouble getting with anyone. I can't sell sports images because I don't have a dataco license. You need to be with an agency but no one will touch you unless you've sold stuff. It's a shocking vicious circle.

I think i'm just going to start all over and just wanted to say thanks for all the help on the forum, but I can't hang around if someones watching my every move.

Cheers,

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Cheers folks..

I wish you luck whichever way you take. When I visit Earl's Seat I shall think of you.

Comment

Just read your post Paul, and I'm shocked and dismayed beyond belief
      The images you have shared with us have been an inspiration to me, and I'm sure that other members on here feel the same.
      I do wish you the very best of luck in the future whatever you may do, but I do hope you keep your membership on here 'alive' and look forward to seeing you on here in the future :)
      1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

I have tried to browse here under a different name, but it's not the same. The people I've built up a mutual respect for no longer speak the same way and I can't share any pictures as this will pretty much identify with who I am.

The letter detailed how I was setting up a wedding photography business using my employers resources, and it was just untrue. Pretty scornful really. Probably going to chuck it all together as my experience in the industry has left a bitter taste.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Hello Paul - I had noticed your absence and missed your contribution to many subjects - not just the subjects you are particularly interested in.

Having read through your goodbye note a couple of times there are many points that can be responded to - but my overriding feeling is too wish you well in your future endeavours.

Working with the press is a difficult arena - to make it these days is extremely difficult and you set yourself some very tough objectives. I often work alongside professional sports togs and most of them struggle to keep the flow of work coming in. Those that are successful have been in the business for many years - one guy about 50 years - but I doubt they could start from scratch these days and make a good living from the genre.

I am not going to attempt to give you any advice save that you need to think through what you really want from all the skills you have (photographic and other) and set your priorities.

Again - very best wishes for your future

David

Comment

Appreciate that David. Loads of staffers are being paid off from Johnston Press which has flooded the freelance market. With already solid contacts in the industry it's meant that guys like me can't get a look in anymore.

I guess the fundamental reason is that I don't need a DSLR to do photography. Most of the time I can't even tell what camera has been used thses days as web resolutions just look the same all over. Seems pretty pointless to have such an expensive bit of kit if I'm not doing fast action work anymore.

I will return but I feel like I've approached it all the wrong way. Just need some time away to study a wee bit more, and practice in silence with minimal kit needed.
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul,

Really really sorry to hear about this. You've shared some great work with us here.

If you go in a different direction, wish you all the very best. If you decide to put the camera kit in the cupboard for a month or two, clear your head and let the dust settle, then start again and come back to the forum then I for one would be very happy to read your words again and admire your photos.

Martin
              Last edited by Freefaller; 13-11-2014, 21:01. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Honestly folks don't put me on a pedestal but thanks.

I'm either going to throw two fingers up to it all and get my head down and keep going or re-address my apparent easy access on the web. Photographers kind of cant hide away so it's a tough one.
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

Hi Paulstw, I'm sorry to hear what has been going on and your decision to maybe give up.
                  I have been a professional photo-journalist for the past 40 years, now retired and I know what your
                  going through. It was hard back then, even harder today to break into the profession. There were
                  times when I struggled to pay the rent. A lot of luck is involved not to mention hard work and sometimes working for nothing. I have enjoyed my 40 years in the profession, it's better than a proper job lol I have met people and seen things and have hundreds of stories. I would asked you to think long and hard before you give up that dream. Best to you and yours in the future what ever you decide to do.
                  Last edited by Treff; 13-11-2014, 21:30.

Comment

i am totally stunned by this paul ,as your such a talented photographer to ,you obviously make a good living at your main job and as they have deemed to keep you employed you must be worth it .
                    public memory is short (apart from a few vindictive bastards that is) so perhaps its best to keep you identity intact ,and just browse and post from home ,it will be longer between answers etc and never ever mention again where your employed ,also remove it from profiles etc .
                    your boss already is aware of the situation and will no doubt be waiting for whoever reported you to make a wrong move ,being a ex employer thats what i would do in the same circumstances ,no one likes a back stabber in the office ,(unless of course she's got big t*** ) .

sit back think out a action plan ,ditch the pro idea .and just enjoy your hobby ,but once you do have a plan of action write it down ,print it out and take it to your employer and ask if its within there remits

best of luck mate ,missing your input already

Comment

Paul, I would advice you (the older codger I am) to stick to your day job as it is your bread and butter and do the other work as secondary. ONce the secondary work starts to how a profit you can then,if you wish, quit your day job for good. It is important to build your nest egg first and buy the kit you want to compete with the rest. Also keep in mind that the forum is NOT the be all and end all. Long periods of absence doesn't ring any alarm bells for me as it is always possible to PM you to see if you are OK.
                      Last edited by Nathaniel; 14-11-2014, 10:16.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

It is always a shame when someone tries to sabotage what you want to do. I had something similar at my work. Someone put a complaint in that I was editing photos on my lunch break in my own time as I don't get paid for my lunch break I got collared by the boss so I no longer do anything with photography while I'm at work.

I wouldn't give up all together I would just take a step back and just enjoy it as a hobby.
                        1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                        Facebook
                        www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Paul,

There is nothing that I could add that has not already has been said. However, you need to know that you are a very talented photographer and to give it up would be not only a loss to you but a loss to those that due appreciate your talent and work. Don't give control of your gift to someone that is jealous that they don't have your talent. You are much better then they are.

Blessings to you on whatever you do choose to pursue, but do know that you will be missed here on the forum.

Tom

Comment

Sorry to hear this Paul. You are someone who has been a great inspiration to me and I will be very sorry to see you go, but in the end, it's your life and you have to decide what you want to do with it. Keep it up though - you're too good to waste.
                            Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Very bad luck Paul, I too wish you well, and hope that after a little reflection you will return as a hobbyist photographer.
                              I blame phone cameras, tablet cameras, and the media that accept and promote their use for 'cheap (to them)' pics. for publication.
                              I am the 'official photographer' for a Club, not related to photography, which uses 'social media' as well as the official website, and my photos are mixed in with absolutely appalling quality images on the Club's Faceache, Twatter, etc. sites. It has made me think about chucking it all in more than once recently. However, I am persevering - for now.
                              Being retired I don't have your potential problem Paul, but I do get some abuse when I have the effrontery to criticise the low quality images posted by others on the aforementioned Club sites.
                              Good luck with whatever you decide upon for your future.
                              Quentin

Comment

Working...
                              X