GPS enabled cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS enabled cameras

With several cameras sporting GPS now coming onto the market, including the 7DII, this may be a problem for those wishing to travel to Cuba. Cuban regulations state that for a visitor to bring in a GPS an import licence must be obtained. Although the 7DII does not function like a normal GPS nevertheless will the Cuban customs see it this way? As I plan to go there next year I think I should talk to the relevant authorities about it, but will advice obtained from the Cuban embassy hold sway in Cuba?

Food for thought.

David
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Re: GPS enabled cameras

with the current political scenario i would suggest buying a non g.p.s enabled model to take with you and sell on your return ..in fact i wouldn't even take a camera capable of video there .
    the russians are muting that they are going to start using cuban airfields for there long range bombers (this week in fact) so anything with gps would be asking for trouble .
    its tightening up all over the daughter recently got collared for excess duty on cigarettes when arriving in mexico on holiday .but never got stopped on her return to the u.k ?? makes you wonder and you cannot argue with these guys either they have the guns

Comment

Thanks, that's a bit worrying. I googled the Russian possibilities and it looks like using a long lens to photograph flying birds may put me in the clink. Perhaps I go to Costa Rica instead!

David
      PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Comment

It is always wise to err on the side of caution and take a non GPS camera- there are several on the market at very reasonable prices.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
          Thanks, that's a bit worrying. I googled the Russian possibilities and it looks like using a long lens to photograph flying birds may put me in the clink. Perhaps I go to Costa Rica instead!

David
          the way things are going the Costa Isle of Wight would be a better choice
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
            the way things are going the Costa Isle of Wight would be a better choice
            That's exactly what I was thinking.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
            X