Stagnation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stagnation

How often do you feel your photography stagnates? Do you ever lose inspiration or feel that you may be regressing?

Recently, I've been feeling that perhaps my photography hasn't really developed any closer to where I would want it to be, especially when I've made simple mistakes such as under/over-exposing an image because I've followed the cameras meter precisely, having wonky horizons or taking generally naff photos.

I am overcoming this by evaluating myself and where my work is at, I now know I could improve my editing abilities, which are limited; I have an idea for a long term project, which will help me test myself; realising that photographers I hold highly don't get everything right, I recently watched a video of Don McCullin and he took 5 frames of the exact same subject and only picked one for publication, so I can't be all that bad.

Is it common for photographers to be perfectionists that I are very hard on themselves, pushing for perfection?
    Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Re: Stagnation

You have to believe it! I think we all go through periods of desperation. And the "doh!" mistakes are legion. Sometimes it is worth just pursuing one particular aspect to try and nail it. But don't give up! It is just too rewarding when it goes right!

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I remember the old films days, when I was gutted if I had just even one photo from the roll out-of-focus. What surprised me recently was hearing an ex-pro talk, who said that he regarded himself lucky if he had one 'keeper' from a roll of 36! lol
      It's easy to get swept away by all these images of 'perfection', like on 500px and other sites. I think what you have to remember is that for every image someone 'published', they probably have hundreds in the virtual bin!
      I would say don't be too hard on yourself and just enjoy shooting, and learning. I learn just as much from my f-ups as I do from the ones I hang on the wall, and now there are plenty of OOF ones that go straight to the bin without remorse! lol
      So shoot, enjoy and learn. And if there's one piece of advice I would give, is to always shoot RAW+JPEG. I'm now getting as much enjoyment, and learning loads, from working on old CRW files from my old PowerShot, which would not have been possible if I had just captured JPEG. It's also possible to compensate and adjust for duff exposure from RAW.
      I hope you continue to enjoy it. That's the main thing! :)
      1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

I agree guys...

I was taking to someone recently that worked on a 5% keep rate! - I'm not sure what mine is and I think a lot depends on the subject matter but whilst we all shoot loads of photos its the very select ones that people see

And yes shooting RAW is the only way to go especially when your not 100% sure on settings as even basic editing in LR will pull a poorly taken photo into something your happy with

My biggest frustration is not being able to get out as much as I'd like and I've not picked the camera up for 3 weeks due to work .... hopefully next week
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          My biggest frustration is not being able to get out as much as I'd like and I've not picked the camera up for 3 weeks due to work .... hopefully next week
          Me too I'm with you there, and it's frustrating not having the time.
          I recharged the battery last night in anticipation for this weekend. We'll wait and see... lol
          1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

It is common for us to be perfectionists. It's also very common to believe that we've learned a lot, and that every pic we take should be a work of art. Nature very seldom lends itself to such an easy ride.

Photography is blooming tough, and you need to be better than your last image because it's a self destructing hobby if you don't feel progression.

It's good to look at other peoples work, but not to do it to the point where you feel ill thinking about it. Analyse it, pick it apart, see how it ticks and more often than not those perfect landscape shots start to look very unreal indeed. 500px being a prime example of that.

I'll be honest in that I felt I really bounced away from thinking that way when I got rid of my kit lenses and started buying good glass. It showed to me that I could capture the world, I just wasn't letting my camera see it the way I did.

That brings me to my last point. A picture is only going to be as good as you see it. If the view doesn't inspire you or make you go "OMG look at that" then it's not going to change when you take the pic of it. No amount of editing will change that either. A flat picture is a flat picture.

If and when that OMG moment happens, it's up to use to translate what we see and record it the best we can, that's the challenge, and that's what keeps us ticking :) How we do that is the road to Mordor and as we've seen from the film, it's different for everyone.
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

I agree with what's been said so far ,and in wildlife it's even more relevant ,hence the need for ever faster frame rates and huge buffers as that special glance or turn of a wing can make or break the photo ,the catchlight in the birds eye ,the one shot in ten that's right still has to be in focus to .you have to shoot in raw to effectively get the White balance right and you also need good p.p skills to clone out the obtrusive bits and learn how to layer your shots to enhance and sharpen your subject .

It's a package and takes hard work and skills ,and in most cases a lot of observation and forethought to be in the right place at the right time ,with the right settings loaded into your camera ,it's a total package and you need to have that pre-loaded in your head before picking up the camera or you might as well be taking selfies for facebook.

P.S paul is that modor place anywhere near brigadoon LOL
              Last edited by the black fox; 28-11-2014, 10:13.

Comment

I go through periods of feeling despondent, but I think it's just a part of photography. I reckon that if your mindset isn't right, the images won't be right either. You just need to be in the right frame of mind, to see the potential.
                Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I think some variation in the subjects being photographed will bring on a newer zest for photograpy. It must be boring to photograph ,say birds after birds,or flowers after flowers,or insects after insects and nothing else.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                    I think some variation in the subjects being photographed will bring on a newer zest for photograpy. It must be boring to photograph ,say birds after birds,or flowers after flowers,or insects after insects and nothing else.
                    I don't know Nat - By sticking to a niche you do get a far greater understanding of it and so enjoyment - Right now I would just like the time
                    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                      I don't know Nat - By sticking to a niche you do get a far greater understanding of it and so enjoyment - Right now I would just like the time
                      I can see your point Ian and I fully concur. At the same time a second string to one's bow does add a new diamension to one's hobby. For instance I was at one time only taking pics of wild life and now due to various other reasons I am also taking pics in churches,theatres and I am quite enjoying this. I had to and have developed a new skill in managing/controlling stage lighting to get the images right! I am sure members have their own views on the subject of stagnation!
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                      X