Photography Magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photography Magazines

Apart from EOS Magazine, which other photo mags do you read?

Do you pick up the occasional copy from the news-stand, if there is something of particular interest within, or do you subscribe?.

I subscribe to Photoplus (Canon Edition), and pick-up the occasional copy of Amateur Photographer from the news-stand, if it contains something of particular interest to me.

I have looked at a number of other photo mags, but find them all to be pretty much the same. In fact I have to wonder how they all find enough readers to make the publication worth while, as they are so alike and repetitive.

Last week, while leaving Mrs S to push the trolley around Tesco's , I did my usual browse of the magazine section, and did something totally unusual, which was to buy a copy of Practical Photography (January edition, yes the January edition in November!!), and I have to say, it has been a interesting read.

Whether this is typical, or just a coincidence that I happened to buy this particular issue, I don't know, but I did enjoy reading it.

Dave
    Dave

Re: Photography Magazines

another EOS Magazine reader here ( I had to say that, right )

I don't have access to the shops so can't flick through and check them out - I used to read Amateur Photographer but stopped this year as I was finding the content lame and the pages and pages adverts endless, I think the last one I looked it had over half the mag with full page ads on it, I understand there has to be a balance but come on !

So I'm just sticking with EOS, plus my free time right now to sit back and read is limited
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I used to commute by train so had a subscription to AP as a birthday present. When we moved to Burnham last December I found myself reading it less and less as I drive to work, so canceled the subscription in August. And to be honest, I hardly read any photo magazines at all. Apart from EOS Magazine of course...
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I used to buy loads of them until they started repeating a lot of what was in previous editions. Now I just use Flipboard on my phone. New things to read everyday in the photograpy section.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

I buy the occasional Digital photography and Practical photography magazones if and when I see something of interest to me.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Practical Photography, Digital Photo and Digital SLR magazines - we have subscriptions to all three which seem to automatically renew before we know it !!

Most are recycled at camera club to give the less experienced members some ideas

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

I find they all repeat themselves after a while - the exception being Outdoor Photography.
              James
              James Boardman Woodend
              www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Just subscribed to eos and have had outdoor photography for a few years now which I do find to be more interesting than the others I've picked up

Comment

i tend to buy A/P quiet regularly ,,i used to buy quiet a varied selection but since the price went up to around a fiver a mag i haven't bothered ,they have priced themselves off the market imho ,and to be honest the content is lacking in most if not all of them .

Comment

I did find that AP was getting very stale, but earlier this year the mag went through a re-vamp, which did freshen it up a bit. However, I do agree that it is very heavy on advertising. The adds themselves are very repetitive, whichever mag you look at.

Dave
                    Last edited by Dave_S; 01-12-2014, 19:47. Reason: Typos
                    Dave

Comment

I find EOS Magazine & Amateur Photographer the best of the bunch.
                      I subscribed to Photo Plus for a while, but it was like re-reading coloured reprints of Canon instruction manuals, and very repetitive. I enjoyed Advanced Photographer on the iPad for a while, but then they changed the reading format from a simple 'page-swipe', to the more complicated 'side to side, up down' format, which I personally hate.
                      If Robert's reading, I do hope there are no plans to reformat the iOS version of EOS Mag that way? ;)
                      1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

I subscribe to Black & White Photography, buy off the shelf pretty much every copy of Outdoor Photography and quite often British Journal of Photography (although this v. expensive so do look at the content first).

These are my choices because compared to most they are are generally more concerned with photography than equipment.
                        Chris

My Website

Comment

Apart from subscribing to EOS Magazine I buy Photoplus every month, and occasionally buy others when there's something of interest in. I used to buy Practical Photography every month and Amateur Photography on a regular basis, but stopped both of these when I started making plans for early retirement.
                          John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly200269 View Post
                            I subscribed to Photo Plus for a while, but it was like re-reading coloured reprints of Canon instruction manuals, and very repetitive.
                            I must agree that it does tend to be like that, and is sometimes just too elementary, albeit if you 'sort the wheat from the chaff', there is some more interesting stuff in there. The Photoshop tutorial stuff can be quite good.

I think the main problem is that it tends to try and address to wide an audience, from the absolute novice to the seasoned enthusiast. However, it must work for them, as they sell the magazine.

Although I buy selected copies of AP, it is not a magazine that I would consider subscribing to. As Jeff said, its now too expensive (aka not good value for money anymore IMO), but I will continue to buy the occasional copy, if it contains something of specific interest to me.

I think the problem with photography and computer magazines etc, is that the market is saturated with them, and all offering much the same content.

Dave
                            Last edited by Dave_S; 01-12-2014, 22:20. Reason: typo
                            Dave

Comment

I read the EOS magazine and Black & White Photography.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X