Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We were talking about Flickr recently...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were talking about Flickr recently...

I started using Flickr solely as a vehicle to upload images to the forum but soon saw how useful it would be to share snapshots with friends and family of events such as parties, weddings, holidays, etc. so have albums for those too.

Now I fully recognise that my photography doesn't stand comparison with much of the work I see here but do believe I can draw a distinction between those images I'm satisfied enough with to share with fellow enthusiasts and those I want Aunty Jane to see as the latter are to record an event while the former are attempts at something far more creative.

Therefore my Flickr account has a wide range of quality with some frankly being dross but is this a problem? Should I seperate the dross from work that hopefully is more worthy? I don't invite comment or criticism of the dross from those with a more discerning eye (although none of my albums are 'private' so all are more than welcome to peruse them and see images of me wearing a pith helmet should you wish ).

I recently looked at some Flickr Groups dedicated to my immediate area and joined a couple. After introducing myself I posted the same four images that I was satisfied with to each Group but received not a word of welcome in return and, while I wasn’t expecting an avalanche of ‘faves’, I'm not even sure anyone has even looked at my submissions.

What I did find interesting was just how many Groups some images are in and it doesn’t take the brains of Einstein to fathom that this must be the key to getting an enormous tally of Views, Faves and Comments. One image from a local photographer whose work I admire has over 50,000 views and over 650 Faves even though it was only uploaded less than a fortnight ago - but then it is in 52 Groups.

Impressive stats but what would induce anyone to go to such lengths? Is there a financial gain to be had?

I’m happy to share my work here as I know I have much to learn and welcome comments such as: “crop it this way...”, “clone out that wire”, “it would look better in B&W”, etc. but work of the quality to which I refer above cannot be posted with a desire to elicit constructive criticism.

All of which leaves me slightly mystified – is there a purpose for Flickr to which I am unaware? Or is it simply a desire for as many people as possible to view one’s work?

Cheers,

John

Re: We were talking about Flickr recently...

John you only get out of something if you put into it as well ,add your shots to groups based on the theme of your interests ,,add people as contacts and comment on there work if you deem it worthy ,they should then comment on yours if worthy as well .as a family we have done well from FLICKR with published shots ,and sales made as well .
    The person you mention might have had a really good pic ,and been invited to post in all those groups ,especially if his photo featured in the explore section which is self generating for a week or so afterwoods . Feel free to view my FLICKR stream I hide nothing on there and you might learn from it and my STYLE if that's the way to put it

Comment

I'm not a member of any groups although I have searched a few out just to see the quality of images posted and I'm happy with what I putting up and certainly wouldn't be concerned about joining a group, however I do keep my flickr account for my better work - the more fun stuff goes onto a blog I'm working on and trying to finish

I agree with Jeff you need to get involved to get anything back from the other users within the group, its a little bit like a forum, if you had a new member here that just posted his own work and didn't get involved with other discussion then its unlikely your going to keep posting on the threads other than maybe the first welcome, its a two way street..

So, try posting comments within the groups and hopefully you'll find others will start to follow and comment
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
        I recently looked at some Flickr Groups dedicated to my immediate area and joined a couple. After introducing myself I posted the same four images that I was satisfied with to each Group but received not a word of welcome in return and, while I wasn’t expecting an avalanche of ‘faves’, I'm not even sure anyone has even looked at my submissions.
        Dejavu John

Flickr groups are, in general, a very sterile and insular places, and dare I say, from what I have seen, very cliquey.

I have now learnt that it is realistically no more than an exhibition board for showing your photos to the world.

Like you, I joined a group a month ago, introduced myself in the 'discussion' section of the board, and not a single response has been received. Hence my earlier comments about Flickr groups being very antisocial. This failure to comment to peoples introductions, is a very common theme, as a quick browse will very soon reveal.

With the particular wildlife group that I joined, there is one photographer who his very good at his 'craft', and he appears to be worshiped like some sort of 'God' by the 'lesser masses'. Albeit the comments are almost universally one line 'back-patting' comments like "fantastic image".

It also appears that this guy posts the same images in multiple groups, so is clearly looking for as much recognition as he can get, to 'massage his ego' perhaps?

That said, if he is looking to receive financial re-numeration (Stock Photo Bureaus etc) for his images, then displaying them far and wide, makes good sense.

Like you John, I have my own personal Flickr page, on which some photos are restricted to friends and family, while other selected images are open to public view, if someone is searching for a particular image title.

I posted what are IMO, four quite reasonable wildlife shots on the wildlife group that I refer to. At least two of them had received favourable comments here on the EOS forum, and had been favourited by visitors to my own Flickr page. Yet not a single comment made on the Flickr wildlife group. I guess because I not seen as being part of the existing clique.

What I do notice on Flickr groups is that images that are not particularly good, are commented on favourably by other members of the 'clique'. Albeit, just 'back-patting' and nothing constructive.

However, as all 'views' link back to my Flickr stats, the number of views on these four images has shot-up noticeably, so they are being viewed on the Flickr wildlife group.

BTW, I don't post in multiple groups, just the one.

In summary, I have now learnt to accept Flickr groups for what they are, and that is exhibition boards with a particular theme. Not at all like forums, which in general are friendly, and helpful.

Dave
        Last edited by Dave_S; 08-12-2014, 10:57.
        Dave

Comment

Dave,
          There is a 'curated' photography forum called 1x.com - I don't know if it includes wildlife photography but it might be worth checking it out. Your images have to be of a certain quality ( hence the term curated) and you definitely can not post brief comments like ' great' or ' thumbs up' etc - all comments have to say what you do/ do not like about the image and then justified by an explanation. Sounds a bit tedious to me but it appears to suit some people.
          James
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
            Dave,
            There is a 'curated' photography forum called 1x.com - I don't know if it includes wildlife photography but it might be worth checking it out. Your images have to be of a certain quality ( hence the term curated) and you definitely can not post brief comments like ' great' or ' thumbs up' etc - all comments have to say what you do/ do not like about the image and then justified by an explanation. Sounds a bit tedious to me but it appears to suit some people.
            James
            What an amazing site Jim. Really opened my eyes to another level.
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

Thanks for that 'heads up' James, I'll have a look.

Dave
              Dave

Comment

I post in groups. But don't seem to generate the amount of "views" that some do... But then some people "follow" lots of people and using the android or iphone app you can "fave" shot after shot of your followers and contacts. So I don't think its just the joining of groups that cause the views and faves.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X