Using flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using flash

I have a club Christmas bash this evening and have no idea what the light will be like,so might be resorting to the use of flash. I have dug out my old 380ex but to be honest I have no experience of using flash seriously. Should I stick to P and let the camera figure it out for me? Any quick tips would be appreciated. One of my buddies has just bought himself a 100d and I'll be gutted if he takes better pictures than I do lol
    Paul

Re: Using flash

Don't know what camera you have got but I'd use auto ISo,autoWB,manual mode, AV around 5-5.6 & TV around 125 to 160- depending on the lens you have got. I will also review my pictures after each take. It is probably best to take sharp and in focus picture and ignore noise.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I'm OK with the camera itself Nat, as long as the light is good enough. I'm just lacking in flash related knowledge if it's not.
      Paul

Comment

You will want the flash to act as a fill so probably best to shoot P and the flash set to ETTl

Review after each shot and adjust the flash exposure compensation as needed

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan, I did a little reading and what you have said makes sense and fits with what I have learned so far.
          Paul

Comment

Turns out that getting decent exposures wasn't so bad, focusing was a challenge though. The meal turned out to be in a really well lit room so an iso increase was all that was needed for portraits. I took a selection of group shots with different flash exposures so I can pick the best. The disco was a nightmare!
            Paul

Comment

I don't know if this is right, but what I've done is in the past is find my exposure without flash, drop it by 1/3-2/3 stops, set the flash to ETTL and alter the flash exposure compensation as appropriate.
              Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Comment

Working...
              X