Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing photo library

Good Evening,

I'm here with yet another question; currently I store all my photos in an (Apple) Aperture library and I want to move away from this and export them out of aperture and have dedicated folders for each album/project. I'm currently thinking about how I would like to store the images and I wondered if anyone has any words of wisdom from past experience, do you arrange them by date/month/location/year/project...? I'm only really wanting to do this once, so I'm keen to get it right.
    Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Redundant: EF-S 18-55mm lens f/3.5-5.6 IS II and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Re: Managing photo library

Hi

Have you looked at Lightroom? With lightroom you can store, display and sort photos in any combination, plus search by keyword - plus its a pretty good editor
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Strangely enough I've just been looking at moving to Lightroom, but I need to move all my images from my aperture album, which is a single document that can only be read by Aperture, and these images need to be stored in folders for Lightroom to access them. Since Apple has stated that they won't be updating Aperture any further, I feel I need to move on before the move would become overwhelming.
      Within in my Billingham Hadley Large: Canon EOS 550D [Gripped], EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Tamron 18-270mm Di II VC PZD, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Kenko Teleplus DG AF Extension Tubes [36+20+12] and Speedlite EX430 II.

Comment

A couple of things. One is that there's a plugin for Lightroom that reads Aperture libraries. The instructions to install it are here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjour...available.html

Two, I didn't use it. A lot of shots I'd taken recently as raw/jpeg and I wanted to be sure the jpeg versions didn't get dragged into Lightroom as well. So what I did was export all of the images into a folder, preserving the projects as a structure. Then I tidied it up a bit - combined similar folders etc, deleted unwanted jpegs - and imported it into Lightroom. The export from Aperture includes all of the metadata you applied - or it did for me - and it's simple to import it directly into Lightroom. The slowest part of the task was generating the smart previews which took about a week for the 20k shots I had in my catalog.

If you do go down the Lightroom route, it's also worth optimising the catalog as well because what you start out with after a big import is a bit of a mess and it is way slower than it is after an optimise.

One correction though, an Aperture library is not a single file - that would be a potential disaster and if it was, Time Machine backups would take forever as each time you modified a file, it would backup the whole lot. If you find your library and right click on it then select show package contents you'll see it's folder hierarchy and the same is true for the applications in /Applications - you can do the same with those. Not that this makes any difference either way, I think it's just preferable to know what you're working with.
        Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 14-12-2014, 20:11.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

also watch this video - its 2hrs long and well help you orginise LR

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Just a reminder for anyone considering using Lightroom that we run regular full day workshops that will deal with all your questions.
            We always email each person attending prior to the workshop to find out what topics they want us to concentrate on so we can provide maximum value for money. Find out more here: http://www.eos-magazine-shop.com/PBS...?CatID=2125011

Comment

Comment

Another vote for Lightroom from me.
                Its easy to organise and get started with a decent library structure.
                Andy

Comment

personally i think theres a lot of smoke and mirrors and people jumping on the bandwagon going on ,apple cannot just do a windows thing and dump aperture overnight ,if they do i'll have lost six years backed up files ,one of the reasons i initially switched to macs was having lost early stuff due to windows constant upgrades .
                  the most likely scenario is you will still be able to retrieve aperture files but under the banner of i-photo ,which is basically what they stated albeit through a comment from one staff member that started a world wide rumour mill .i hope that idjit has had the bullet as he has handed adobe a steady platform of "ooh i must change right away panic arses" .
                  till theres an official announcement from apple aperture stays my choice of storage anyway

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                    personally i think theres a lot of smoke and mirrors and people jumping on the bandwagon going on ,apple cannot just do a windows thing and dump aperture overnight ,if they do i'll have lost six years backed up files ,one of the reasons i initially switched to macs was having lost early stuff due to windows constant upgrades .
                    the most likely scenario is you will still be able to retrieve aperture files but under the banner of i-photo ,which is basically what they stated albeit through a comment from one staff member that started a world wide rumour mill .i hope that idjit has had the bullet as he has handed adobe a steady platform of "ooh i must change right away panic arses" .
                    till theres an official announcement from apple aperture stays my choice of storage anyway
                    They're dumping Aperture and merging some of its functionality into iPhoto to create a new product called Photos some time next year. Unfortunately, Apple have a track record of taking good products and dumbing them down to the point where they no longer fit what users want - Final Cut ProX being the prime example. If anything, Photographers may be more conservative than Videographers so there will be a lot of people who can see a known future (Lightroom) against an unknown future (Photos) with a company that has a bad track record in this area.

As far as "ooh i must change right away panic arses" are concerned, well I had a kludgy workflow with Aperture and Photoshop and now have a nice clean workflow with Lightroom and am no longer editing with a tool (Photoshop) where I only use about 5% of it's capabilities. Your mileage may of course vary.
                    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

This is an example of my structure:

Photos
                      >> 01-01-2012 New Years Day
                      >>>5D
                      >>>>RAW CR2
                      >>>>In Camera JPGs
                      >>>6D
                      >>>>RAW CR2
                      >>>>In Camera JPGs
                      >>LR CAT > 2014NYD.lrcat
                      >> Exported

If you see what I mean.....works for me. I have a LR catalogue file for each mini project.
                      Last edited by LSainsbury; 19-12-2014, 20:36.

Comment

Thanks guys, certainly given me something to think about. I'm thinking of the following: Year > Month > Location/Event. If something crosses several months, then I'll create what I'd call an 'album' that will reference from each month as required.

There are features of Aperture I'll miss, such as faces and the simplicity of adding keywords, ratings etc, but I'm sure I'll adapt the Lightroom as and when I transfer. Maybe there will be an offer on this Christmas/New Years.

Comment

Working...
                        X